• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unique Practice Methods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miles58
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of unique things do you do to fit in extra practice time?

On Saturday morning I woke up at 7:00 AM and "practiced" in my head, in bed until 9:00. Eyes closed, fingers working imaginary valves, I taught myself the Phrygian mode in all 12 keys.

I have a friend who used to buzz his mouthpiece while driving his car. I think he was pulled over once by the cops and given a warning. It can also be dangerous to your chops if you hit an unexpected pothole, or come to a sudden stop.

I also have to confess that for a while I used to actually practice my horn in bed, watching TV. Lots of obvious reasons not to do that - bad posture, lack of focus, etc., but it was during a time when I had very little motivation to practice, and it helped me maintain a modicum level of chops.

Same friend mentioned earlier used to also practice in front of TV. The idea was to play during the show and rest during commercials, but it's so easy to be drawn into the show and start doing it the other way around.
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with 'ya on the mouthpiece buzzing in the car. Only alone though....my woman would kill me.
Isometrics, pencil drill, pondering various evolutions my embouchure has gone through....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: