• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who really is the best teacher?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edbrass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're looking for a great education in music. Specifically, you want to be a trumpet major. (Why else would you be here?!)

Are you attracted to big name schools with big name professors? Why?

A very wise former professor of mine once asked me if I would like the opportunity to study with Wynton Marsalis. I said "yes!"

"I wouldn't," said he. "I would rather study with Wynton's teacher."

And what of big name professors? I went to a small college with a reputable but non-celebrity faculty. A friend of mine went to a big name school with big name professors. My friend thought that she had made the wiser decision.

I graduated on time with distinction and a solid foundation in this wondrous art. My friend did not. She had more credits to complete after a transfer to a smaller school. It seems that she had become a face in the crowd. And for the big name professors, she never saw them - just their TA's.

Just deep thoughts for you all to ponder. DISCLAIMER: I am not invoking a war of words, for I know plenty who were well educated at some big name schools. But for those with different learning preferences, this post may make perfect sense.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a big time teacher who is at a smaller school. Example: Leonard Candelaria at UAB. The only downside in his case is that one doesn't know how long he will be there.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must disparage the commonly held view that big schools equal no personal attention. I had some great years at Indiana University, one of the biggest music schools around. As a teaching assistant for most of that time, I can say that VERY few trumpet majors ever had to study with a TA at Indiana. I think I remember 2, both of whom were freshman jazz studies majors who were at first only provisionally accepted into the school. They both moved into faculty studios the following year. If you are accepted into a studio based on your audition, you will study with the major teacher who accepted you.

Sure, space is limited at a place like IU, but if you have real ability on the trumpet and an intense desire to use the amazing resources of a school like that, DON'T HESITATE. If you are the kind of person that doesn't need your hand held, can follow instructions, asks questions, and pays attention, then there's no need to feel like you'd be lost in the crowd at Indiana. And I can personally vouch for the fact that studying with John Rommel or Ed Cord is one of the smartest moves a student could make.
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best teacher hunh? That's easy.......

YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edbrass,

I have a different take on it, FWIW...

I went to a bigger school. There were 65 trumpet majors. I entered as a freshman thinking I could play fairly well. I got my wake-up call after ensemble auditions the first semester. (I did very well for a freshman, but was not at the top of the heap.) Looking back, this was a great motivator for me. Not that I wasn't motivated, but I realized that I had been a big fish in a small pond. It took a year, but I was able to grow quite a bit as a musician during that time.

For me, it was not just a matter of having a great teacher. Personally, it was the competition of my peers that made me want to excel. There were many ensembles in the school. Three "concert" bands, orchestra, chamber orch., two jazz bands, brass ensemble, etc.) I wanted to play with the better ensembles, with the better musicians. The alternative was playing with quasi-hacks. Had to work to get there. That was just my personality when I was in hs/college.

Smaller schools offer more attention, but do they have the number of musicians to push each other? Of course, conservatories are a totally different animal.

I never felt "lost" among all the players. Sure, we had to be on top of things, or get lost in the shuffle, but that's just the way it is.
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the best "teacher" is the combination of Wynton Marsalis, Mark Gould, and Lew Soloff that the Julliard jazz majors get to study with. That's access to a ton of information from all three of the major "schools" of trumpet playing (jazz, lead, and classical) And no I wouldn't rather study with Wynton's teacher. Plenty of people do that every year at Rutgers, and its not like there's an unusually high percentage of ridiculous sounding players coming out of there (although there are certainly a few). You can definately become a great player from any location in the world, but that doesn't mean that every location in the world has a great teacher. When I was picking schools, I paid close attention to the distinguished alumni lists, because it means either the school is capable of producing those talents, or at least attracting them so I could hang with them. That being said, I still think you should go to whatever school offers you the best scholarship, since you'll ultimately do most of your learning on your own, and loans can be hard to pay off on a musician's salary.
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am coming full circle here in a few months. I attended a small Baptist college (Shaw University) where there were a few incredible trumpet teachers, Richard Lee (who went on to Texas) and Bill Fielder (who went on to Julliard). I dropped out of school after 2 years. 25 years later, I am enrolling again (Western Washington University), with new found dedication. I will have access to a number of teachers who will be able to help me along. I come to them a better prepared student than I was in 1977 (a couple of trips through the Arbans, Clarke and Maggio books; introduction to Schlossberg, Brandt and Charlier). I believe absolutely I am a better student of the instrument and have a much better idea of which questions to ask and why. Saying all of this to say: I don't believe it's nearly as important who is teaching me as it is how prepared I am for the lesson. It is all about the process/journey and being prepared.

ps
As I reread some of the posts on this thread and thought of others that I have read on TH, I think this subject deserves more thought. William Fielder was teaching and playing trumpet LONG LONG before Wynton came along. The guy was a pretty successful player before he started to teach. He was a player in Slide Hampton's bands for the longest time and enjoyed a pretty long association with Dizzy, before he taught. Some of the ideas expressed here make it sound as if he didn't get his teaching thing together until Wynton came by. Ron Miles, Charlie Sepulveda, Terrence Blanchard, Thara Memory have all benefitted from Bill Fielders mentorship. He taught at a small 'unimportant' university prior to Julliard. I believe that speaks volumes to the number of teachers out there in many institutions who have great things to offer but have not gained the recognition of the masses (them asses?) by having a famous student. Fielder has a great heart and willingness to further student's progress.

Kanstul Burbank Flugel Horn & Warburton 3XFL
Comeback player since 4/02, studied with Wm Fielder - 1978-1979, D. Fjerstaad 1987-1989. Music Ed Maj at WWU fall 2003.

[ This Message was edited by: bophead on 2003-04-12 15:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bophead on 2003-04-12 15:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bophead on 2003-04-13 09:41 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: