• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

instrument keys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetkid11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always been curious to know why they make instruments in different keys. why do we normally play Bb trumpets? why do we play F horns? why do we play Eb alto saxs? etc..... why do they make different instruments in the band differents keys? why not just make everything concert pitch and save the trouble of transposing and other hastles that come about when played with different keyed instruments?

basically, through that whole thing i wrote, im asking, why are different instruments made in different keys? what is the point?

ive just always been curious as to why this is and i just figured, this would be a great place to find out because of all of the knowledgable people around this message board. thanks in advance guys.
mophead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its so scores don't have a zillion ledger lines. That's what I was told, makes it easier on composers and conductors so they don't have to deal with all the ledger lines.
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real reason is that much of the early music was written in a particular key and that instruments like trumpets had to be in that key (there were no valves). Therefore, if the music was written in Eb the instrument was keyed in Eb.

With modern trumpets (with valves) we are able to transpose easier. Bb was probably chosen as the key of choice due to it's mellow tone as compared to trumpets in higher keys. To get a more authentic sound for earlier orchestral music, it is still common to play the parts with instruments in the other keys.

It is a matter of choice and preference.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read slowly, because Im about to confuse everybody. Why didnt they just say that on a Bb trumpet, the fingering for a C is 1-3, and that way it would play in "C" because we would sound the notes that are written and not a step below? That would eliminate the transposition problems faced by the Bb trumpets. Higher keys would still be used, I'm sure, but wouldn't that have made life easier?

Stuart
OldBugleBoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why didnt they just say that on a Bb trumpet, the fingering for a C is 1-3, and that way it would play in "C"

Because it wouldn't be the note that's written, it would be a step up. Not a problem for most folks but if you have perfect pitch or even relative pitch, I'd imagine it would be sheer torture on you.
Happily playing a Yamaha YFH-635T
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wouldn't be playing Bb music, we'd be playing in concert pitch, and would read music written in concert pitch, like we were playing a C trumpet. Doesnt Tuba finger C 1 and 3?

Stuart
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 15:23, tpetplyr wrote:
Read slowly, because Im about to confuse everybody. Why didnt they just say that on a Bb trumpet, the fingering for a C is 1-3, and that way it would play in "C" because we would sound the notes that are written and not a step below? That would eliminate the transposition problems faced by the Bb trumpets. Higher keys would still be used, I'm sure, but wouldn't that have made life easier?

Stuart

Under the scenario you suggest, a trumpeter would have to learn a different set of fingerings for each trumpet.

On a Bb trumpet, concert C would be 1 and 3
On a C trumpet, concert C would be open
On a high D trumpet, concert C would 1
On a high Eb trumpet, concert C would 1 and 2

By keeping their music written as transposing instruments, it's easier for the trumpeter to keep track of everything. All the work he or she put into making the fingers respond automatically to what he or she sees on the page (or must transpose) is not lost when they go to a trumpet in a lower or higher key.

On a Bb trumpet, C is open, but sounds as a concert Bb
On a C trumpet, C is open, and is a concert C
On an Eb trjmpet, C is open, and is a concert Eb

And so on....

Some people might argue that it's tough for the few with absolute pitch. I say that if they are good musicians, they can overcome it. Even those without absolute pitch struggle when initially working with trumpets in a different key. You finger a note, and blow, but it doesn't sound right. You have to use your ears and brain whether you are gifted with absolute pitch or not.

Finally, there are is a historical basis to how trumpet music is written on classical scores. I kind of mixed up myself on exactly how factors in......

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2003-03-08 02:51 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: