• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CONN-SELMER CLOSES ONE MORE

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
connedbyselmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: CONN-SELMER CLOSES ONE MORE Reply with quote

CONN- SELMER TO CLOSE Elkhorn facility

Steinway musical CEO Dana Messina has been forced to close another music factory due to his poor management of business.
With the Steinway piano business down to working 3 weeks out of the month now,for lack of business, and the Elkhart In facility (BACH) division of conn-selmer sub- contracting BLESSINGS MUSIC to supply 1/2 of its Bach horns to be able to fill orders.
Some former Bach management people who now work at Blessings ,along with some former bench workers from Bach , say if you want a Bach horn today simply buy a BLESSING horn at a much lower price, than to be a fool and pay top dollar from Vincent Bach for the same horn.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity prompts me to ask...

Some years ago - like nearly twenty - I played a Bach Strad and a Blessing ML1 side by side in a local music store, wondering if the ML1 was a cheaper version of the Strad since it seemed as though someone had the Strad in mind with the manufacture of the Blessing.

At that time, there wasn't much of a comparison - the Strad won hands down. The Strad was a much better horn in just about every way possible.

So, has the gap now closed and the Bach Strad is a Blessing in disguise?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The economy in general is going down the tubes. The first industries affected will be producers of non-essential items and services.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, GM just closed a bunch of SUV/Truck factories. I don't think it's isolated to Conn-Selmer.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll know that for sure when ConnedByGM posts.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
Yeah, GM just closed a bunch of SUV/Truck factories. I don't think it's isolated to Conn-Selmer.

One of them in Janesville WI. Much panic in state government, but at least the union isn't totally freaking out over it like they usually do.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
jpdtpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserhutch - although I feel for all the employees who are affected by plant closings, you get my vote for post of the year! Hilarious!

John
kesslermusic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
We'll know that for sure when ConnedByGM posts.

Great post.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So - how do you tell if the new "Bach" was made by Blessing, or not? If they're only filling 1/2 the orders, is the "real" Bach any different?
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Blessing be making Bach to Conn-Selmer standards or to its own?

I am assuming folks are saying Blessing manufactures trumpets that are not as good as Bach, or making them inferior to Bach specifications and standards.

Has Blessing been a worse place for its employees (some former Bach employees) than Conn-Selmer?

Best wishes,

Lloyd
amtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I doubt whether any of the stuff this guy posts is true.
Sofus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, do we really need more than one kind of trumpet?
I mean, honestly?

Bud Herseth 1977 in Hamar, Norway

Mouthpiece and Solidarity
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several posts were removed from this thread. Political content is not allowed on the Trumpet Herald. Please refrain from making political references.

Thank you,
Moderators
connedbyselmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lmf"]Would Blessing be making Bach to Conn-Selmer standards or to its own?

I am assuming folks are saying Blessing manufactures trumpets that are not as good as Bach, or making them inferior to Bach specifications and standards.

Has Blessing been a worse place for its employees (some former Bach employees) than Conn-Selmer?

Best wishes,

Lloyd[/quote

It is my understanding that conn selmer holds Blessings to a higher standard than its own. Since the strike , replacement workers have been forced to the standard of 1 horn per day for each employee, hence 120 employees = 120 horns per day. The turnover has been high with the demands of that standard.
Ceo Dana Messina promised shareholders that number from the Elkhart plant, but what he failed to tell them part of the horns were made in another factory in Elkhart.
It would be impossible to tell which Bach horn was made where so as in the past there will be a great difference between horns. The only way to find the right one is try a few before you buy.
Also the Blessing facility is old and dirty but the treatment of their workers is great like the selmer co use to be (family).
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, connedbyselmer,

Thanks for the information regarding the Blessing factory and the shared work.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
connedbyselmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
Several posts were removed from this thread. Political content is not allowed on the Trumpet Herald. Please refrain from making political references.

Thank you,
Moderators

Sorry that I mentioned a political persons name.
It is my opinion that these are important issues for us all to debate, since this effects us all. I understand that this may not be the correct place to bring up this discussion, but as it relates to executives like Steinway CEO Dana Messina and what he has done to his workers with his culture of greed and coruption, this immoral behavior is spreading across this great nation.
With censorship of this kind the trumpet Hearld and this nation may cease to exist and the only discussion we will be having is which Chinese horn do you like best. But this is your party so I will try and abide by your rules.
Please forgive me,
connedbyselmer
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please refrain from using loaded terms such as censorship. It is am extremely insulting term. You do not have any innate right to post whatever you wish here. If it not YOUR forum, it is not a public forum. You are not being repressed or censored, but are merely required to follow the extremely lenient rules for posting.

You want to post political crap? Go pollute Craiglist like every other clown who thinks that their political agenda is to be imposed and shoved down everyone else's throats. The same goes for religion.

And for the record I agree 100% with the rule.

Sorry about this rant, but I'm so fed up with those who yell censorship the moment the are required to follow a few simple rules and are not permitted to do whatever they wish.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
connedbyselmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fraserhutch"]Please refrain from using loaded terms such as censorship. It is am extremely insulting term. You do not have any innate right to post whatever you wish here. If it not YOUR forum, it is not a public forum. You are not being repressed or censored, but are merely required to follow the extremely lenient rules for posting.

You want to post political crap? Go pollute Craiglist like every other clown who thinks that their political agenda is to be imposed and shoved down everyone else's throats. The same goes for religion.

And for the record I agree 100% with the rule.

Sorry about this rant, but I'm so fed up with those who yell censorship the moment the are required to follow a few simple rules and are not permitted to do whatever they wish.[/quote

Who made you moderator? If you are insulated with the post it is your problem. Also you do not need to remind anyone of their innate rights.
The trumpethearld politely reminded me of the rules which I will try and abide by . Personally I think they should also censor whiners who have nothing more important to do then cry about someone else's post.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go again with the censorship BS. get over yourself. Your views are not even worthy of being censored.

Oh, and did you get the point of my beef with your accusing the moderator of censorship? You might want to remove your tin-foil beret for a minute, scratch your head, and puzzle that one out.

connedbyselmer wrote:

Who made you moderator? If you are insulated with the post it is your problem. Also you do not need to remind anyone of their innate rights.
The trumpethearld politely reminded me of the rules which I will try and abide by . Personally I think they should also censor whiners who have nothing more important to do then cry about someone else's post.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
connedbyselmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
There you go again with the censorship BS. get over yourself. Your views are not even worthy of being censored.

Oh, and did you get the point of my beef with your accusing the moderator of censorship? You might want to remove your tin-foil beret for a minute, scratch your head, and puzzle that one out.

connedbyselmer wrote:

Well my friend I think we need to move along now. I do not see any Bach instruments or mouthpieces listed toward the end of your post. You might want to consider purchasing a Steinway Musical product, it might help with your tone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: