• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Grammar Discussion from Botti Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post... oops.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."

Last edited by supportlivejazz on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:03 am; edited 3 times in total
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey HBofND

Here's one of your old responses to a post about buying a new horn...

The original post by the fellow that started the thread...

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2007 00:15 Post subject: Mabey need a new trumpet Reply with quote
Hi,
Im new to this forum and I need advice.
I started playing trumpet in 6th grade and now im in ninth, I really havent been very enthusiastic about the trumpet until about 2 weeks ago
I did prctice in 6th through 8th grade and I love music i just didnt love band like I do now. and I wast horable i was always playing 1st or 2nd chair. Well I've had a begginer trumpet this whole time, it's a king 601, and it is not a very good trumpet. you he to yanks at the slides to get them to come out. And all this wasnt me because it had a previous owner but i admit to some of it.
We'll I just wanted a new trumpet and my dad thinks we can still fix the one I have and it will be just fine.
I was kind of wanting a bach strad but didnt know wether I should get one or not.
My friend that i've been playing w/ forever just got one and i'v played it and it's a realy awesome trumpet, I was just wondering what i should do and was looking for some advice.
I also plan to stay in band atleast for my junior year and most likely my senior year.
Thanks, Blake

and your response...

HunchbackofNotredame wrote:
First of all, learn how to spell. hit the books, if for no other reason than to spell maybe.
Second of all, when Tom Turner chimes in, don't buy a "Flip Oakes Wild thing" because he says so. If you try it and sound good, buy it.
Most of all, don't listen to his clips. You will want to die.

Just thought it was worth revisiting at this time.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

You may want to crank the TM up a few minutes.

BTW, TM is for wusses. Real men do zen meditation.
tptguy123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunchback just got owned And the "you have no life" bit pretty much gives away the fact that he's in middle school.

But even so, you should never try to argue with a moron.... They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. But in this case I think hunchback lost anyways.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy123 wrote:
Hunchback just got owned And the "you have no life" bit pretty much gives away the fact that he's in middle school.

Based on the quoted post he is now in High School.
tptguy123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the OP of the quoted post is in the HS, but that's doesn't reveal anything about Mr. Hunchback (I think?).

In any case, I just stumbled across this and I think it's relevant:

supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High School, Middle School....? More appropriately, Grammar School....

Ya can't make this stuff up.... as Don Imus says.

HunchbackofNotredame
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that really hurt. Middle school. Nice one. Enjoy your social security check.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HunchbackofNotredame wrote:
Wow, that really hurt. Middle school. Nice one. Enjoy your social security check.

It was a joke, good man.... GRAMMAR... a joke. Little pun, little play on words, little light hearted ribbing. My my my... but meanwhile, lest you feel the need to correct MY spelling too, I was very careful to not make any errors in that area. Would not want to offend...

Of course I will enjoy my SS check. Actually "am enjoying" is more accurate and appropriate. I am on the 2-3 day work week now... up to 6 hours a day on some days when required. Travel some, mostly to Venice/Santa Monica to see my boys and New Orleans to just enjoy New Orleans. Hope to get back to Ispra, on Lago Maggiore before I'm too old. My ancestors are buried there. And of course, I fish quite a bit in the rocks and boulders of the SoCo RI coast. Still looking for a 40lb striper. Maybe this year. I do see and hear live music as much possible. I'm hoping to see Herbie and Sonny Rollins (2 truly wonderful men) next month if my daughter's wedding is over and I can get to Newport. Also want to get an eye full and ear full of Esperanza Spalding. So far what I've heard and seen has made me want more. So, thanks for the good thoughts, but being reminded to enjoy my Social Security check was really beyond unnecessary.

So, back to the subject at hand. What with the revelation that you too once deputized yourself so that you could expose blatant spelling errors and "police" a spelling offender, can we now assume that you are working for the public good just as RR was? Are you actually operating undercover, using a disguise that makes you appear to be obnoxious and offensive, when, in fact you are just trying to help out when those of us mis-spell? Are you really... a sheep in wolve's clothing?

Hmmmm?? Tell us. Make us see you as you are not as you have appeared to be so far. Make us understand.... PULEEEEEZE. Will ya, huh?

Laughable, man... laughable.

bachstreak
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a joke Hunchback
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:

James Joyce's "stream-of-consciousness" style of writing, sans punctuation and capital letters has proven to be tedious.

shouldn't there be a comma after the "capital letters?" Please make sure you're posts are grammatically clean before you bash others for not doing so. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Anyone who gets bothered by incorrect grammar in an internet forum is petty. Thats like someone getting pissed of at a zoo because it kind of smells bad in the primate house. If you hate seeing people's improper grammar and syntax that much then don't post here, or anywhere on the internet, anymore.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

James Joyce's "stream-of-consciousness" style of writing, sans punctuation and capital letters has proven to be tedious.

shouldn't there be a comma after the "capital letters?" Please make sure you're posts are grammatically clean before you bash others for not doing so. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Anyone who gets bothered by incorrect grammar in an internet forum is petty. Thats like someone getting pissed of at a zoo because it kind of smells bad in the primate house. If you hate seeing people's improper grammar and syntax that much then don't post here, or anywhere on the internet, anymore.

Ah, the lowest common denominator argument. Normally used by those who are most familiar the lowest common denomitator.

Sorry, I don't enjoy RR's sanctimonious attitude anymore than any of the rest of you, but I would postulate he has contributed more information than one who posts nonsensical posts that typically add nothing to the discussion at hand.

If I had to choose between someone who posts about spears or posts quixotic ramblings while attempting to stem the tide of illiteracy I prefer Don Quixote.

YMMV
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the heck are you guys feeding the pathetic little troll??????

It's probably the only attention he gets all week.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Shillelagh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

You may a skeleton/ undead thing. You may harpoon people randomly and for no apparent reason. You may wear a rather ugly costume (ugh, yellow), but I love it when you turn really asinine threads like this one into worth-while endeavours.

Should've known it was around this time that RR needed to have a pissing contest. Don't worry, once he refills his prescription we'll be back to somewhat normal posting.

Cheers,
D.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bachstreak wrote:
This is crazy, why are some of us fighting over simple grammatical errors that won't mean a thing in the grand scheme of life. As long as you get your point point across and we understand it, that's all that matters. Last time I checked we are not being graded by the Moderators on Punctuation and Spelling. Everyone makes typos, move on.

I think the point is that improper (or no) grammar can obscure a point to a condition of complete misunderstanding. I don't care so much about capitalization; however, not properly puncutating a sentence - or worse: an entire paragraph - makes reading difficult for other users.

Why not write out a post with punctuation to at least make it easier for others to understand what you are saying and respond properly?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Zlatko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentle readers.
You should remember that the internet is not visited exclusively by North Americans with post secondary education. For some posters, American is not their first language and you should exercise a little tolerance.

You should also exercise a little tolerance when a poster is obviously young. The poster may be some disadvantaged inner city kid who has been taking it from the MAN all day. Maybe the poster just got home and wants to connect with a community but instead gets another MAN riding him about his grammar. SevenWordsYouCantSayOnTelevision!

HBOND you bring to mind a united way commercial. Picture a kid swinging a bat at a baseball. Then the scene transforms to the same kid smashing a car window with the bat. Do you know what I'm talking about? Would you rather this kid was smashing windows with their trumpet? If you cannot offer productive advice, shut up.

Finally, I'd like to say that people *should* write their best out of respect for the reader. I tend not to read closely if I have to work too hard to understand the message. If you don't write clearly, you may miss out on the advice of some bright people (not me) because they give up on your post.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
I think the point is that improper (or no) grammar can obscure a point to a condition of complete misunderstanding. I don't care so much about capitalization; however, not properly puncutating a sentence - or worse: an entire paragraph - makes reading difficult for other users.

Why not write out a post with punctuation to at least make it easier for others to understand what you are saying and respond properly?

Just to put this thread in context, here is the post that -- how shall I put this? -- inspired Robert Rowe to start the current grammar rant:
trumpetnyc wrote:
durring the josh groban tour, chris played a different martin handcraft large bore than he plays now. all of his recordings are on the same martin, but the groban tour was different. chris and dave monette are great friends, going back to their time in oregon, but he has never played a monette on stage.

This post has one incorrectly spelled word, one questionable comma, and no capital letters. I'll leave it to you to decide if these errors render the post incomprehensible.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zlatko -- well stated!
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:

Just to put this thread in context, here is the post that -- how shall I put this? -- inspired Robert Rowe to start the current grammar rant:

trumpetnyc wrote:
durring the josh groban tour, chris played a different martin handcraft large bore than he plays now. all of his recordings are on the same martin, but the groban tour was different. chris and dave monette are great friends, going back to their time in oregon, but he has never played a monette on stage.

This post has one incorrectly spelled word, one questionable comma, and no capital letters. I'll leave it to you to decide if these errors render the post incomprehensible.

Refer to my original post. I put an important statement in bold face, just to make it clear.

I agree with you, however, that Mr. Rowe's comments are a bit harsh, and there should be some latitude on a web forum. The question is simply, "How far should we allow it go?"

I do believe we should all strive for our best in everything we do...even in posting on web forums. Netspeak or not, writing with a lack of consideration for proper capitalization and punctuation can make one appear at best lazy, and at worst illiterate.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I agree. There is, however, a difference between someone for whom English is not their mother tongue and someone who is too lazy to attempt to express their thoughts in an intelligible manner.
For the record, the person quoted by the OP does not fall into either category, he/she merely is too lazy to capitalize their words. Big whoop, IMHO.

A poster has every right to post whatever they feel like as long as it doesn't violate the forum guidelines. As a reader, I have every right to ignore it if I consider it too much work to try to parse it. So, if you want to limit your audience, write gibberish or netspeak. I'll just ignore it, as is my right.

It is reasonably easy to determine when the OP's mother tongue isn't English, and in those cases I will happily put in the extra effort to understand what they are trying to say.

Zlatko wrote:
Gentle readers.
You should remember that the internet is not visited exclusively by North Americans with post secondary education. For some posters, American is not their first language and you should exercise a little tolerance.

You should also exercise a little tolerance when a poster is obviously young. The poster may be some disadvantaged inner city kid who has been taking it from the MAN all day. Maybe the poster just got home and wants to connect with a community but instead gets another MAN riding him about his grammar. SevenWordsYouCantSayOnTelevision!

HBOND you bring to mind a united way commercial. Picture a kid swinging a bat at a baseball. Then the scene transforms to the same kid smashing a car window with the bat. Do you know what I'm talking about? Would you rather this kid was smashing windows with their trumpet? If you cannot offer productive advice, shut up.

Finally, I'd like to say that people *should* write their best out of respect for the reader. I tend not to read closely if I have to work too hard to understand the message. If you don't write clearly, you may miss out on the advice of some bright people (not me) because they give up on your post.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: