• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

German Huttl Eb Trumpet Quality?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Worm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: German Huttl Eb Trumpet Quality? Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering what these horns quality control was. Has anyone played any of their products? I know of a short belled Eb Trumpet that might be up for sale. Of course when I buy it I would try it out first, but I'd like to see if it's even worth it. The owner says it has a darker tone than most Eb's. I would suspect this horn would be good for Chamber and solo work.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to TH!

I can only speak of the older (German made) Hüttl Bb trumpets that I saw and play-tested for a short moment: They were all very sturdy and well built, but typical heavy duty band/military instruments. Pitch was very regular and the sound of the instruments that I had tried could be described as cold and hard.
Now, Hüttl moved to Canada somewhere in the sixties (I believe) and I understood that especially the play quality and sound of their instruments improved dramatically after that move.
I haven't played one of those "newer" instruments yet, let alone the Eb trumpet.....

We've had a thread about Hüttl instruments a while ago, but that doesn't give a lot of information either. It was after that thead that I had the chance to play a couple of the older Hüttl trumpets. The links that I put in that thread to Hüttle instruments for sale won't work anymore though:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64834&highlight=

MvW.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr Worm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, you found a previous discussion. Sorry about that as I never remembered seeing anyone mention this brand before.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Worm wrote:
Nice, you found a previous discussion. Sorry about that as I never remembered seeing anyone mention this brand before.

Really not your fault; the TH search function is being VERY obnoxious today and didn't want to give it. I had to run through all of my own older messages in order to find it.

Good luck trying that Eb trumpet!
Please let us know what it's like.

Best regards,
Maarten.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thread from the Trumpetmaster forum with a bit of extra information:
http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/huetl-36606.html
Here you could read that although the later Hüttl trumpets were still stamped "Made in Germany", they actually came from Canada.
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a factory somewhere in south Wales, UK, too for a while. Clouds seem to be even more foggy about the horns made there.

Marten, the posters in those threads you attached say that the Canadian horns were not as well built as the german horns, but you had heard the opposite, any idea how these different opinions have come up?

Last edited by krax on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krax wrote:
.....Marten, the posters in those threads you attached say that the Canadian horns were not as well built as the german horns, but you had heard the opposite, any idea how these different opinions have come up?

Hi Krax!

The trumpeter who let me try his German made Hüttls told me that he found that Canadian Hüttls were generally better playing- and less military-like instruments (but maybe technically not better built...). He didn't have one himself though. And like I stated before, I never played a Canadian one so I can't judge for myself.

Interesting that they have produced in Wales UK as well!
It almost seems as though the Hüttl family has been on the run for something...
Graslitz (Bohemia/Czech Republic), Nürnberg (Germany), Wales (UK), Brunswick (Canada).

Best regards,
MvW.
Dr Worm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the horn and I'm still excited over it. The only things I'd change to the horn is adding a stopping device to keep the third slide in place from hitting the floor, adding a water key to it, maybe shortening the first slide tube a bit to bring up it's D, and add a hook/ring to it. That's all I'd do. Pretty minor stuff.
The sound is not as bright as a Bach Eb, which I tried side by side. You could compare it to a bigger Trumpet with a more compact sound. Its intonation is pretty good, except it's forth line D as I mentioned earlier. No Pedal C (yet?), but no tears coming out of my eyes. This horns slotting is pretty solid too. I'd recommend finding one if you could.
As for what it looks like, it resembles a Bb that's shrunken. The bell has a slower taper like the older Piccolos, and is maybe around 4". My K&M stand will fit almost all the way in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: