• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WHY NOT A BIOFILM OF THE GREAT LEGEND, HARRY JAMES?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[

A good question might be, "Why no picture about Frank Sinatra, arguably the most popular musician of the past 100 years?" Aside from the fact that his executors would want full control and the result would be pablum, the real answer is most movie fans find biopics boring no matter who's being depicted.

So I wouldn't look for a movie about Harry James anytime soon. Even though I'd love to see a depiction of his early days with a circus band or Madonna cast as Betty Grable.[/quote]

Why no movie of Frank Sinatra? They did a made for TV film of Frank about 4 years ago. It was mediocre. When they do that they rarely follow it up with a feature film of the same subject. Secondly, if they ever do the Harry James biopic I hope they never even consider Madonna as Betty Grable. Grable could sing and dance, neither of which Madonna is capable of and thirdly she is about the ugliest woman in show business whereas Grable was a living breathing Barbie Doll.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Harry James Movie Reply with quote

WHOA!!! Tough crowd as Rodney used to say. There's no question as to Harry being in an elite few of great trumpet players and jazz musicians. I would suggest a trip to England and a few visits with the Harry James Society there. They have regular meetings and are very knowledgeable group of Harry James devotee's. For me, this group was well meaning and all, but didn't want to scrape up the dough for a guest appearance by me with my friends big band doing a bunch of Harry's original charts. I wanted to combine it with a vacation and the cost would have been minimal for them, but it couldn't be worked out. Sound familiar? At the moment, my good friend who sang with Harry [also Benny and Tommy] Lynn Roberts and I are trying to secure a few bookings for our "Tribute To Harry James" program both with symphony pops and a big band. I was told by more than one person to make the program a "Big Band Tribute" instead of focusing on Harry. It kills me to hear the non-response from these people in the "arts" world, but it is a sad fact that Harry is all but forgotten by the people who actually spend the money to book shows. Does it matter to them that Harry was every bit as big in his heyday as the Rolling Stones are [were?]. My good buddy toughcritic has his heart on his sleeve along with me. It ain't fair at all, but as Harry always said..."Ya gotta eat". Just remember to visit Harry whenever you happen to be in Las Vegas [Bunker's Eden Vale] and do not forget a bit of Smirnoff to share with him. He told me a month ago how much he enjoyed that.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns
"Live In The Studio" by the Tony Scodwell Big Band now at CD Baby
Coming in Nov. from Hal Leonard, the Tony Scodwell Big Band Play Along
toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Harry James Movie Reply with quote

[quote="Tony Scodwell"]WHOA!!! Tough crowd as Rodney used to say. There's no question as to Harry being in an elite few of great trumpet players and jazz musicians. I would suggest a trip to England and a few visits with the Harry James Society there. They have regular meetings and are very knowledgeable group of Harry James devotee's. For me, this group was well meaning and all, but didn't want to scrape up the dough for a guest appearance by me with my friends big band doing a bunch of Harry's original charts. I wanted to combine it with a vacation and the cost would have been minimal for them, but it couldn't be worked out. Sound familiar? At the moment, my good friend who sang with Harry [also Benny and Tommy] Lynn Roberts and I are trying to secure a few bookings for our "Tribute To Harry James" program both with symphony pops and a big band. I was told by more than one person to make the program a "Big Band Tribute" instead of focusing on Harry. It kills me to hear the non-response from these people in the "arts" world, but it is a sad fact that Harry is all but forgotten by the people who actually spend the money to book shows.

Tony, I would try to bend the ear of the Minnesota Orchestral Association to try and bring your show to Orchestra Hall which you are well familiar with. They have had tremendous success with class musical acts in the nostalgia vein. I would also contact Dr. Dean Sorensen, director of the University of Minnesota Music Department Jazz Studies program, as they schedule a major Jazz Festival each year and assorted other jazz greats throughout the season. Next, I would contact the Twin Cities Jazz Society which also schedules jazz concerts throughout the year. Next I would contact the Minnapolis Orpheum Theatre and St. Paul's great Ordway Center For The Performing Arts. They both schedule a variety of musical acts, personalities and productions throughout the year to huge attendance. Good luck.

Dick Bobnick (ToughCritic)
www.dickbobnick.com
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a look at what Nick Decarlis has done with his Bobby Hacket tribute concerts. The difference there is we are talking a small combo where I imagine a Harry James tribute would require a big band. Much harder to pull off financially.

Probably the most successful Big Band tribute bands out there that I can think of is the Mingus Big Band. They have a regular gig at the Iridium in Times Square, record extensively, and it is made up of musicians who can play it because it is always on an "off night" like Monday night.

It also is very much focused on the music and the soloists. And very exciting to listen to. I don't see that with a Harry James tribute, just like I would see a Miles Davis tribute band working unless you had someone like Wallace Roney always doing it. Much easier to do a tribute band when it is the Tunes which are well known and not a specific musician. IMHO>
toughcritic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. It also is very much focused on the music and the soloists. And very exciting to listen to. I don't see that with a Harry James tribute, just like I would see a Miles Davis tribute band working unless you had someone like Wallace Roney always doing it. Much easier to do a tribute band when it is the Tunes which are well known and not a specific musician. IMHO>[/quote]

If the music and the "tunes" are your criteria then the James band would be at the top of the list. Harry's jazz charts are still played by blg bands all over the world and are known to the all pro first call musicians. His pop charts are legendary and match or supercede the hit singles of the Glenn Miller band. No, the problem is not the music, the name or the public. It is the bookers, people who are mostly in their thirties and fourties, and they think the public is all consumed with the Celine Dionnes, Kelly Clarksons and Clay Aikens of the music world and "retro" shows are iffy.
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add the 50's in there. I'm 54 and couldn't name a Harry James tune. In fact I just received my first James compilation and to be truthful, I didn't find it particularly interesting the first couple of listens. I didn't recognize a single tune except the one they used in a Woody Allen film. Getting into now but it seems incredibly dated and old fashioned to someone who grew up in the 60's. This is the kind of stuff my father listened to. When I got into this period, I was much more interested in the "black" bands - basie, Ellington, - than Glenn Miller Benny goodman or the Dorsey's who I just found to be more commercial and much less interesting.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think it is just the bookers. I would say the audience for this is going to be in the mid 60's plus. Not exactly a group that goes out on mass for a concert.

But whatever, Good luck getting the concert going.
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to see a Harry James biography on film, one way is if it is part of something larger because Harry James is not popular in and of himself to be the sole subject of a major film. If there is another WWII film made, maybe the life and music of Harry James could be featured as a subplot. I, being a fan of Harry James and big band jazz would go see it.
Regarding, the promoters; they are in it to make money. If they think a Harry James themed concert is going to be financially successful, then they will produce it.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain and simply, the only recognizable name in trumpet today, to the American masses, is Chris Botti, and maybe Winton. This is true for any instrumentalist or any art form. Name another famous violinist besides Yitzach Perlman, another guitarist besides Hendrix, another pianist besides (gulp, eek) Liberace, another tenor besides Andrea Bocelli. Fact is, the general public, the average person off the street, has absolutely no idea who Harry James was or what he accomplished on the trumpet, nor do they care.

Want to know how 'average' we all are? Name five major expressionist paintings hanging on the wall in the Louvre and name their artists ...... Need more time?...... Name five major works of architecture and name their architects. Can't? Hmmm, the single greatest expression of man on earth, and we can't come up with five examples? You learned about at least five in K-12 world history. Need more time?.... Waiting.... hmm. Name five people who signed the Declaration of Independence. You get my point.

Fact of the matter is, trumpet geeks and certain music enthusiasts, a small population, dig trumpet legends, and that's about it. I'm sharing these thoughts, not to slight Harry James or trumpet players, but to point out that there is a helluva lot, including all forms of art, to enjoy and absorb in the world, and trumpet playing is far from the top of most people's list. In perspective, it's really just a speck of dust.
slide911
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think you'd find that Miles Davis is the best known trumpet player to the masses. But I take your point.
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Louis Armstrong is more well known than Miles Davis.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westview1900 wrote:
I think that Louis Armstrong is better known than Miles Davis.
Hello Dolly , yes, as far as household recognition, absolutely Louis Armstrong.

To further stress my point, the next time anyone here is in a group of non-musicians, ask them to name a couple (nationally recognized) trumpet players. Fair enough?
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slide911 wrote:
I would add the 50's in there. I'm 54 and couldn't name a Harry James tune.

Some artists have been fortunate enough to be immensely popular in a brief period, i.e., "their day". James is one of those whose popularity didn't have much reach beyond his lifetime. A very, very few others - Miles and Armstrong, for example - have remained popular and have been musically influential for a greater time period and are known by a good number of people including many who weren't even born when the artists were at their peaks. Those are few and far between.

I'd go see movies about Davis and Armstrong - Clifford or Eldridge, too, for that matter - but it's unlikely that I'd go to see one about James. Be clear about this - I'm not saying the guy wasn't GOOD. It's just that he and his style never made an impact on me.
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Daff wrote:
another pianist besides (gulp, eek) Liberace

Yani. BOOYAH!
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
_Daff wrote:
another pianist besides (gulp, eek) Liberace

Yani. BOOYAH!

I may have heard of Yani. Who's BOOYAH!?
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see your Yani, and raise you one John Tesh.

Incidentally, I work with bacteria in attached growth systems. This thread title confused me for a moment.
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booyah! is the exclamation made popular by MSNBC Mad Money Host Jim Cramer. It has several definitions, one being a shout of approval favored in the U.S. South.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Booyah! is the exclamation made popular by MSNBC Mad Money Host Jim Cramer. It has several definitions, one being a shout of approval favored in the U.S. South.

So, does Booyah play keyboards?.... and does he know Celine Di No-one?
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Harry James Movie Reply with quote

[quote="toughcritic"]
Tony Scodwell wrote:
WHOA!!! Tough crowd as Rodney used to say. There's no question as to Harry being in an elite few of great trumpet players and jazz musicians. I would suggest a trip to England and a few visits with the Harry James Society there. They have regular meetings and are very knowledgeable group of Harry James devotee's. For me, this group was well meaning and all, but didn't want to scrape up the dough for a guest appearance by me with my friends big band doing a bunch of Harry's original charts. I wanted to combine it with a vacation and the cost would have been minimal for them, but it couldn't be worked out. Sound familiar? At the moment, my good friend who sang with Harry [also Benny and Tommy] Lynn Roberts and I are trying to secure a few bookings for our "Tribute To Harry James" program both with symphony pops and a big band. I was told by more than one person to make the program a "Big Band Tribute" instead of focusing on Harry. It kills me to hear the non-response from these people in the "arts" world, but it is a sad fact that Harry is all but forgotten by the people who actually spend the money to book shows.

Tony, I would try to bend the ear of the Minnesota Orchestral Association to try and bring your show to Orchestra Hall which you are well familiar with. They have had tremendous success with class musical acts in the nostalgia vein. I would also contact Dr. Dean Sorensen, director of the University of Minnesota Music Department Jazz Studies program, as they schedule a major Jazz Festival each year and assorted other jazz greats throughout the season. Next, I would contact the Twin Cities Jazz Society which also schedules jazz concerts throughout the year. Next I would contact the Minnapolis Orpheum Theatre and St. Paul's great Ordway Center For The Performing Arts. They both schedule a variety of musical acts, personalities and productions throughout the year to huge attendance. Good luck.

Dick Bobnick (ToughCritic)
www.dickbobnick.com

Dr. Dean Sorensen ... I worked with a Dean Sorensen on the Glenn Miller Orchestra a number of years ago ... as in close to 20 ... yikes. Is he a trombone player?, and can you put me in touch with him?

I think it's a great idea, Tony and Lynn Roberts doing a tribute to the music of Harry James. There is STILL a crowd for the music of the era. I see it all the time, the nutt just has to get cracked. [/b]
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
I'll see your Yani, and raise you one John Tesh.

I'm all in....Boney James.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

I'm all in....Boney James.

Oh man... I didn't want to have to go there so early in the game:
Leonard Nimoy
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: