• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adam Student/teacher around Cincinnati?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
googanelli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Adam Student/teacher around Cincinnati? Reply with quote

I am getting back into playing my trumpet after an 8 year break. I have been having a blast getting back into playing. When I was younger, I had a teacher who was an Adam student who taught me. I loved the approach he gave me. Is there someone around Cincinnati who has a flexible time schedule that would like to give lessons? Contact me and let me know!

-Joe Williams
googanelli@aol.com
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Adam lives within a 2 hour drive or so and still teaches on a slightly limited basis, so I would definitely try to get with the man himself for at least a couple of lessons.

I also live in Bloomington and Greg Wing is down in Morehead, Kentucky. In Cincy I recommend Dave Thomas. There are a lot of others within a short drive of you.
googanelli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to make it over to see mr.adam. I don't however want to sound horrible. I would love to get a basic update of what I was learning. Kinda like seeing the movie before ya read the book. if ya have a list of people nearby pat, i would love to get it from ya.

thanks again!
-Joe
googanelli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to make it over to see mr.adam. I don't however want to sound horrible. I would love to get a basic update of what I was learning. Kinda like seeing the movie before ya read the book. if ya have a list of people nearby pat, i would love to get it from ya.

thanks again!
-Joe
EricM224
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pat, Dave Thomas is a great guy, and a excellent teacher. I studies with him for four years before I went to Morehead, and the things he taught me were and still are invaluable! Another person that I would recommend, and I'm sure Pat would as well is John Zappa. He's not strickly and Adam guy anymore, but he can still help you out. I am in Cincinnati for the summer, and I would love to help you out if I can. I do the MSU version of "the routine" everyday at CCM, and if you'd want to get together sometime just let me know!
ci189002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would throw Jim Reed in Columbus into the mix as well. There are some great resources within 2.5 hours of you(Bloomington, Cincinnati, Columbus, Morehead). This is a great area for trumpet playing and some absolutely great teachers that you can make it to and back in a day's trip.

Chris
EricM224
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't forget about Jim Stokes up at Capital!
AFTPT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend Jim Stokes at Capital University, as well as Jim Reed.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this thread for a friend who recently relocated to the Greater Cincinnati area. She's looking for a teacher who follows Mr. Adam's approach. She'd also like to find someone more local than Columbus or Louisville (or Bloomington) -- since I'm not up on who's who or who's where, I am turning to you for suggestions in addition to the ones above.

Thanks!
EricM224
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently graduated from Morehead where I studied with Greg Wing, and I have been visiting Mr. Adam since this summer and in the Fall I'll be attending Indiana as a Grad student. I'd be happy to teach lessons to anyone who'd like to take them. In fact I already have several set up for this summer! If you think that would work PM me and I'd be glad to talk to her, or offer a few other folks she might want to try to get with!

All my best
Eric
www.ericsiereveldmusic.com
Mike W

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

googanelli wrote:

thanks again!
-Joe

I had the same thoughts about going to see Mr. Adam . I was going up to see Bob Baca at UW-Eau Claire and told him that very thought, that I felt like I wanted to have my stuff a little more together before I went to see Mr. Adam. Bob said,"Don't worry about it, Mr. Adam will take you where you are and know exactly what you need to do." Best advice yet. I wish I wouldn't have waited as long as I did to see Mr. Adam. If you can at all get down to see Mr. Adam it will be the best experience you could have.
My two cents would be don't wait, just do it, you won't be sorry.
KarlTrumpet55

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely visit this forum, no particular reason, so please forgive if this thread is old and dusty....

two things:

1) it is often best to see Mr. Adam when things are not going well, or when you are in the time of your development where you are not "impressive" yet. Realize #1 he can't be impressed; he's worked with Doc, Jerry Hey, and on and on... and also he absolutely doesn't care about where you are today, he wants to help you get where you want to be tomorrow. Let him hear you at your worst! that's the best lesson you'll have. He is drawn to students with a lot of "want to." If you have that, he'll take it from there.

2) add Wes Woolard to the list of great person/player/teacher with strong Adam influence in the Cincinnati area. He's in the book.

best - KS.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Owner
Victory Vision Traveler
ksievers@ou.edu
amtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you posting Dr. Sievers! Hope you find more occasions to chime in here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: