• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C.G. Conn Vs. Bach Strad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablo3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: C.G. Conn Vs. Bach Strad Reply with quote

What is your take on the C.G.Conn "Vintage One" Series?

Trumpet and Flugelhorn editions.

Perhaps compaired to Bach horns???
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my Benge (almost new at $500, heck the valve just finished breaking in) I played both Bachs and V1s and me and the wife both preferred my sound on the V1 over the rest (Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, Benge and a few others) although the mouthpiece actually made a bigger change than the horns themselves. I was using a Bach 1B, 1C, and 1D to compare. Had a few others too. While the Bachs are different I get really close to the same sound with any of them and my line cannot tell them apart while we play unless I am really pushing the 1D.

Quite a few have noted they are a bit better than they thought. Heck when I did this I admittedly was a Conn hater. Never met one that made me smile at all. JUST ANOTHER HORN. Now I can say I actually like one. Good horn.

I found it to be in the small mainstream circle of sound. Not to far from a Xeno or Strad. Slightly different flavor.

Try one for yourself. You may like it. Some will not.

Once again I like it.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
Pablo3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do own a Vintage One, I chose it over the Bach, i just found the Bach to be fuzzy & over-rated. I really liked the sound of the Conn, the design, and the package it came with.

I'm just interested in others opinions of the two.

thanks.

C.G. Conn "Vintage One" Trumpet
C.G. Conn "Vintage One" Flugelhorn
King Tempo Cornet
Hammond Design/LOUD Mouthpieces

www.thomdaly.com
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the horn that Vincent Bach copied with the Strad 37. I played a Strad 25 for over a quarter century, but I prefer this one. If I only could have one horn this would be it.

1927 CONN 2B New World Symphony
Click. Copy URL. Paste in a new tab (window) to see full size
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are questioning your choice of horns and are looking to validate your current horn by soliciting opinions?

There is a reason why Bach is top dog.

There is a reason why other brands of horns continue to be sold.

Rather than validating your experience with a bunch of strangers, ask your audience how they like the sound of you playing on the vintage 1.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: C.G. Conn Vs. Bach Strad Reply with quote

Pablo3 wrote:

I have owned and played a few Vintage Ones and they were very fine horns. The one I liked best had the smaller leadpipe (36?) and red brass bell. It was really sweet, one of those I should have kept. The other one was better than any generic Bach 37 I've played. The third one I bought for a friend and have only played very briefly. It too was better than any Bach 37 I ever owned or tried.

IMHO, the Vintage One is under rated and is a great value in the used market.

Edit to clarify. I am talking trumpets, I have no experience with Bach or Vintage One flugels.
so55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important characteristics of V1 is its full and rich sound. Use a Curry TF, it'll be dark and smokey. Use a lead mpc, it'll scream without getting thin and screechy. No matter which register you're playing in, it's always full and rich. It's darker than a Strad 37 but you'll be amazed how easily it will sizzle when you push it. The square and round slides make a difference. It's almost like having two different trumpets.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's probably a mistake to lump the trumpet and flugelhorns together. The Bach trumpet has a lot more fans than the Bach flugelhorn. This is reversed (and to a lesser degree) for the Conn.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
So you are questioning your choice of horns and are looking to validate your current horn by soliciting opinions?

There is a reason why Bach is top dog.

There is a reason why other brands of horns continue to be sold.

Rather than validating your experience with a bunch of strangers, ask your audience how they like the sound of you playing on the vintage 1.

Ok, valid, but as this IS a horn forum, I see nothing wrong with the o.p. question. And btw, don't know about you, but the audiences I play for generally are a bunch of strangers as well. But I understand your statement, ask people in FRONT of the horn about sound, ok, fair enough.
Plus the guy is new here, I'd prefer to give him the impression that this is a friendly discussion forum, as long as he stays within the rule structure. Which, so far, he has.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansonsf wrote:
Here is the horn that Vincent Bach copied with the Strad 37. I played a Strad 25 for over a quarter century, but I prefer this one. If I only could have one horn this would be it.

The TRUE Vintage One, IMOHO. My 1929 plays right up there with anything, but is very unforgiving if you aren't dead on the money. I prefer the newer Vintage One for tone over the Strads, but all else seems very similar.
hien peter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: a Reply with quote

I really really love my Strad-37.
It is such a versatile horn for me,
and gives me everthing I demand from a trumpet.

My neighbour has a golden CV1.
In my oppinion this CV1 is a boring trumpet.
I would never buy this one.

peter

Strad H37 & G 7s
martin committee 1946
Weimann C, Strad C
Conn V1 FH & MB6
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo3 wrote:
I do own a Vintage One, I chose it over the Bach, i just found the Bach to be fuzzy & over-rated. I really liked the sound of the Conn, the design, and the package it came with.

I'm just interested in others opinions of the two.

thanks.

When someone asks a "what's your take... compared to" question about a horn after they've already purchased it, I can't help but think that they are looking for validation (reassurance that they made the right decision) rather than discussion.

But here goes based upon my experiences owning three Conn Vintage Ones and several Strads. BTW, I never played any horn that was "fuzzy" - unless I had too many single malts - then they all sounded "fuzzy". (I think "fuzziness" is a characteristic of the player - not the horn... or am I confusing that with "buzziness")???

All 3 Conn V1's were the same ML model with 46 leadpipe. One of the V1's was an outstanding horn - the other two were among the worst pro horns I ever played. Every one of the V1's had construction problems (braces falling off) and/or plating issues.

It was also puzzling why the tuning slide on my V1 would not fit my student's identical V1 model. BTW, my student swapped his V1 three times at Sam Ash because the silverplating was wearing off after two months - leaving brass spots showing through. The best playing of the V1's he had was the first one. His last one had excellent plating but was not the best playing horn of the 3. He sold it, and is now playing a Strad 37 that he loves (and sounds great on).

I have never played trumpets from any manufacturer (including Bach)that varied so much in feel and response from one horn to the next than the Conn V1, or that had so many quality control issues.

As for comparing the Conn V1 to the Strad, I've compared every horn I ever owned to the Strad because possibly the best horn I ever owned was a ML bore Strad 72* in lacquer/nickel finish made in 1995. That 72* was better than the MV and Bronx Strads I owned, and the Lawlers, and a Harrelson I owned. If there were any horns I owned that were on a par with that 72* Strad it was my Schilke B4 and B6 and my current Strad 38 M bore, and Calicchio 1S/7.

Never played a Strad or Conn V1 flugel. Completely satisfied with my Kanstul French Besson Brevete flugel. Though the best sounding flugel I ever owned was a 1930's Buescher that I (sigh) sold to a collector.

But, honestly, who cares what horn any of us play? It doesn't matter to me if someone is not happy with the horns I like and play. That's not going to stop me from playing what I like. I'm happy with them based upon my personal experience with the horn and the feedback I get from people whose ears I trust.

hien peter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: a Reply with quote

see www.brassreview.com

Strad H37 & G 7s
martin committee 1946
Weimann C, Strad C
Conn V1 FH & MB6
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the Vintage One is among (perhaps the most) underrated horn around, and often a great value depending on what you paid.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: C.G. Conn Vs. Bach Strad Reply with quote

Pablo3 wrote:

I own an early V1 Rose Brass Bell Bb trumpet, and a slightly custom Rose Brass Bell V1 flugel in silver.

Neither horn will likely ever leave my possession, unless a student who is really promising wants the trumpet badly. The flugelhorn is not for sale, never will be. It is the best flugel I've EVER played. The trumpet is a very good horn, but I have a couple around here I prefer to it. I bought it cheap and hold on to it until I tire of it taking up space, or a student REALLY wants it bad. It is a very fine horn, I've just got two I like better. (Monette 149XL, Bach LB 72 bell)

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a V1 trumpet and flugel for several years and love them both.

I wouldn't say that the V1 trumpet is better than a Bach strad, just different.

The flugel is, in my opinion, much, much better than the Strad flugels that I've played, and records very nicely.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But, honestly, who cares what horn any of us play? It doesn't matter to me if someone is not happy with the horns I like and play. That's not going to stop me from playing what I like. I'm happy with them based upon my personal experience with the horn and the feedback I get from people whose ears I trust.

That has to be one of the best observations ever posted on TH.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansonsf wrote:

Really? Is that true--the copying part?

To the OP, I have played the V1 flug and loved it. It was my second choice for a warm, mellow sound. I also love the wooden trigger tip (silly, I know, but...) I did not like the V1 trumpet as much as I did the flug. It is a very very personal choice, though...

Good luck.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:
hansonsf wrote:
Here is the horn that Vincent Bach copied with the Strad 37.
Really? Is that true--the copying part?

Apparently true. Give this a read:

http://www.bradgoode.com/Blogs/2/60/

I've heard this from others, but this was the one I could put my hands on quickest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: