• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Monette Video Reply with quote

I was over on Dave's site and saw the mouthpiece video and the demonstration of Constant Pitch center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN6hcuEN4W4

Has anyone tried replicating this on their horn to verify his findings for themeselves?

Could we all be playing A trumpet mouthpieces on a Bb???
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with my horn and several mouthpieces and for me both low and middle C line up close and high C goes sharp . This is not pivot or jaw movement just lip. However when the horn is tuned to open A not Bb it is considerably better however.

Did notice how much my mouthpieces differe in tuning though. Some have a larger gap between Low Middle and High C's.

The Soft to Loud definitely goes FLAT but easily corrected.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, if you'll notice, when the guy is playing the "better monette equipment," he takes a breath and resets his chops before each C, whereas on the "inferior outdated equipment," he stays put.

There's also a post on here somewhere about Monette's "clinics" where something similar happens in that he deliberately plays poorly on "inferior" equipment to make his method and equipment sound better.
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

save your money
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hack001 wrote:
There's also a post on here somewhere about Monette's "clinics" where something similar happens in that he deliberately plays poorly on "inferior" equipment to make his method and equipment sound better.

That was me who posted on a thread that has since been deleted by the mods. I might hafta rewrite & repost it.

Does anyone else find it amazing how it was Dave Monette who discovered how important good posture is to playing trumpet, and how no one before him ever gave it any thought? Apparently not Vacchiano, Schlossberg, Clarke and countless other great teachers ever considered posture & trumpet.

Sure would like to be a fly on the wall in a room where Dave tries to convince guys like Doc Severinsen & Phil Smith that they shouldn't pivot. Now that'd be entertainment!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=148173&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Hack001 wrote:

That was me who posted on a thread that has since been deleted by the mods. I might hafta rewrite & repost it.

Does anyone else find it amazing how it was Dave Monette who discovered how important good posture is to playing trumpet, and how no one before him ever gave it any thought? Apparently not Vacchiano, Schlossberg, Clarke and countless other great teachers ever considered posture & trumpet.

Sure would like to be a fly on the wall in a room where Dave tries to convince guys like Doc Severinsen & Phil Smith that they shouldn't pivot. Now that'd be entertainment!

Bobby Shew, it's still not too late!!
badiddley
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen him do a clinic and I thought the same thing. It's a sales tactic obviously. However, he still makes a good mpc. If it works for you buy it. Dont' buy it because of the hype.
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest until this forum and watching some videos (One of the most obvious to me was Jim Manley playing March of the Pocket People with Howie Shear we that used to be on Reeves website) after being a 16 year off comeback player I never knew of the PIVOT technique. It is actually new to me. Never seen or noticed it. I learned up to a solid High E with F and G coming into useful range back in High School and never moved my horn other than to see the music better or get the bell out of or into the stand for effect. Marching was all done level. I would move my jaw a bit more open down low but not much else.

But I do have to admit that while result may differ on all of my mouthpieces

Bach 1B
Bach 1D
Bob Reeves 43.5/B 692s
CKB 3C
Schilke 202D2d
Schilke 20

All of them were closer in A than Bb.

CKB and Reeves were better soft to loud but the 20D2d was best in high to low C. but the worst soft to loud.

Seen and touched only 2 Monette Mouthpieces which were owned by Tom Day with his Monette Bugle with Bugles Across America. Did not get a chance to play though. So have not experinced this in any way. Just curious.

Any Monette players give this a try lately???
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: