• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordans modified tonguing....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking for some people who have gone through the school of hard knocks and have firsthand experience using Gordans modified tonguing-Everything I've read on this subject sounds great, but it's always nice to hear from people who've tried/use it before I invest my time learning the technique. Thanks!

P.S. Due to some unknown mishap, an earlier version of this post has vanished. Sorry bout the inconvinence/repeat
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels clumsy at first, but once you get the hang of it you won't go back to whatever other method of tonguing you were using. The key is to dive right into it and use it until it becomes second nature. Don't try and force things and obsess about where your tongue is while making the change.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my 10 year old son on K-Modified tonguing from the very beginning, and he does quite well with it. I told him not to tell his teacher about it to avoid the inevitable argument. Six months later, when his teacher asked a group of trumpeters if they all knew how to tongue, my son proudly responded by saying he tongues "against his bottom teeth," to the dismay of the teacher. He obviously didn't explain the mechanics correctly, because I know he's doing it right, and now his teacher wants to talk to me about it. I'm looking forward to the conversation, and was planning to pull together some documentation. I have Gordon's comments in "Brass Playing is No Harder...." and the info Jeff Purtle has written on his site. Are there any other in-print references that anyone could share with me? Jeff references something in Arban, but the edition I had doesn't allude to it.

The good news is my son is by far the best player in his class, so I'd like to say the results speak for themselves, but having objective info from recognized sources would help.

Schilke 15a4 - 23 Throat
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra

[ This Message was edited by: MF Fan on 2003-04-07 12:09 ]
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another book that explains it very well is Terrific Tongue , by A.A. "Sandy" Adam.
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another book that explains it very well is Terrific Tongue , by A.A. "Sandy" Adam. H.L. Clarke explains it in one of his books, too.

[ This Message was edited by: RGale on 2003-04-07 12:15 ]
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also printed out Matt Graves' article. I don't have Clarke's "Characteristics Studies." Is there a blurb there worth including, if so can someone pass it along?
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Claude way is soooo much superior IMHO. My teacher told me to switch - it took me a week in reality, but about a month for me to believe that the switch was so easy. Tonguing is cleaner and faster. It lets you use your articulation to ping off high notes, which I found hard before. Also (this is the best bit), I don't need to practice double or triple tonguing, it is sooo easy the Gordon way because it is a much more efficient technique which requires less tongue movement. It also improves sound and intonation - and hence endurance/efficiency.
Do it.....it's great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Sounds great-I'm going for it. Thanks guys!
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Good Luck.
The first few days can be a bit disorientating, but eventually you develop a knack - and then a habit.
Happy tonguing (or should I say K-tongue modified-ing!?!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! After using this for not even 2 days I find myself playing like this on the band tour! It's extremely easy to use. Wow. I'm shocked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: