• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

You Never Know Who You're Going to Run Into

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: You Never Know Who You're Going to Run Into Reply with quote

I retired last year from a nonmusical career and have been joining groups I never would have had time for. One is what's called a "senior orchestra." Guess that's a politically correct term for a bunch of old folks who used to play or want to learn to play.

Anyway, I was talking to a woman who plays the unlikely combination of harp and percussion including wood blocks and bells and whistles and God knows what else she's got back there.

I asked her about her musical career and she says, "I'm 70 years old. I used to play French horn with the Chicago Symphony." I said, " Really. Who was the principal then?" She says, "Phillip Farkas."

Like the title of this post says, you never know who you're going to run into.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
deleted_user_56590f0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Ethel Merker?

Best,
EC
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so stunned I didn't get her name. I'll find out though.

P.S. What is it about musicians that they (me included) can play for years in a group and not know the names of people in other sections? I played in a big band and the lead trumpet once asked me what the bass player's name was. They'd both been in the band longer than me. Go figure.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Joe Camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it happens.

When I was at UH, I played in the Woodlands Symphony with Dominick DeGangi.

He was a member of the Cleveland Orchestra and then moved to the Baltmore Symphony where he was Principal.

When I went to CIM, I asked Zauder if he knew Mr. DeGangi.
Zauder replied:
"Dominick DeGangi played the best audition I ever heard in my whole life."
Wow.

I believe that he passed on in the past year or two, but lived past 90 if I'm not mistaken.
He moved to the Woodlands area to be closer to Grandkids I believe.

JC
swingshift
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not just in music groups...you'd be surprised who is in you city...
joe osecki who ran the airmen of note after miller (army air force band)..is from my hometown
so is buzz king who was buds with louis armstong and played trumpet at radio city music hall for years...still lives here..
pat monahan from Train and Caryn Kadavy the Ice skater are all from here too....but you never hear about that stuff..they just live here and go on about their business...but its cool to know they are here...sometimes you see 'em at the grocery store or ball game...kind of cool to be in the company of greatness sometimes!
B
yamaha 631 flug
jin bao rotary piccolo trumpet
wedge 5BC 25 and 5DC 25 with heavyweight Barrel ML shank
BIGBUSHI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't that the truth! I play lead in a big band in Carson City, NV. One night I'm introduced to a frail old man, that is in the audience frequently, named Paul Geil. Turns out he used to play lead for Benny Goodman! I'm not worthy to carry his mute bag! Google his name. He's got quite the resume. Now I get nervous every time I see him out there even though he's always been very pleasant and complimentary. Cool huh?
Brasspire C Trumpet
YouSellingYou.com
Online Reputation Management
Skip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie Mitchell.

He lives on the other side of our island. I've gone over to hear him play 3 times & sat behind (not in) during one of their rehearsels at his house.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the old days...

I think it was in '89 or '90, the NAJE conference was here in San Diego, and like just about everyone else who could, I went and prowled the hall with all of the instruments on display. At the Martin/Holton booth, the sales guy asked what I was looking for, and I told him I wanted a decent backup horn.

he asked what I normally played, and I told him "The Mic Gillette model Magna" and he asked me to bring it in the next day, as he'd never seen one.

So the next day I was standing at the booth, tootling a bit, when this little old man walked up and listened for a bit. When I finished, he asked "Mind if I try?"

I glanced at the sales rep, who nodded, and handed the old man my horn. He pulled his mouthpiece out of his pocket, and proceeded to blow some amazing licks. After a minute or so, he handed my trumpet back, and said "too big for me, but I know who'd lovethis horn!"

So I followed him into the hall next door where Mike Vax was just finishing up a clinic and performance. The old man waved Mike over, and told me "Show him the horn!"

When I opened the case, Mike said "Oh, no! I've played Mic's - it's waytoo big for me!" and we all had a good laugh, and chatted for about 20 minutes.

The old man turned out to be Red Rodney.
BIGBUSHI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Ain't that the truth! I play lead in a big band in Carson City, NV. One night I'm introduced to a frail old man, that is in the audience frequently, named Paul Geil. Turns out he used to play lead for Benny Goodman! I'm not worthy to carry his mute bag! Google his name. He's got quite the resume. Now I get nervous every time I see him out there even though he's always been very pleasant and complimentary. Cool huh?

Sad news. Paul passed away a couple days ago just after his 94th birthday. He will be missed. My prayers for his daughter, Rita.
Brasspire C Trumpet
YouSellingYou.com
Online Reputation Management
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: