• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Greg Black New York series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Greg Black New York series Reply with quote

I'd love some feedback on Greg Black's NY series pieces if anyone has experience with them.

I've downsized from his 3C (an excellent piece with a huge resonant sound) to a NY2S that I got on eBay. My playing demands have changed and I was needing a more cutting sound, and I really like the NY2S, which is about a 7C diameter. For me, it works far better than any other lead-type piece I've tried, and most importantly it has a much fuller sound through the range of the horn- so much so that I can use it as an all-around piece.

Has anyone tried the NY1 or NY1S? I am tempted to downsize even further.

I'm also curious if these are based on classic designs from the past and if so which ones.

Thanks in advance.
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the New York 1 (not 1S). Liked it a lot but decided that the Reeves pieces were a better match with my Calicchio. Since I also needed one for my flugel, it was easier to get although Mr. Black does make matching flugel pieces. The shallow convex V cup worked well for me. Sort of reminded me of the old Jet-Tones.

I've since found that the new LOUD mouthpiece work as well if not better then my Reeves.

--Rick
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Sort of reminded me of the old Jet-Tones.
Matter of fact, that's what they were based off.
Rich Szabo had Greg make him a piece and copy his Jet-Tone. Rich told me
he was tired of other players dissing him because he used a JT. He admitted
that although an exact copy, the Black sounded and responded much better.
Perhaps due to it being a bit heavier?
Anyway, from that the NY series was born. Greg made a custom piece for me
based off them. One of my favorites! Give it a try...
Peace,
-Dennis
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comments, thanks!

I do like the weight of Greg's standard blank - it's not really a heavyweight but there's more mass than most brands' regular weight.

Rick, that's interesting: I play a 1s/2 as well. I've had better results with Black than with either Reeves or LOUD - just goes to show that we're all different even when using the same equipment!

Now I'm curious as to the playing characteristics between his v-cup and the c-cup that I have.

Cheers
Steve
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve!! Always good to hear someone else likes Mr. Black's pieces

About the Reeves pieces and my Calicchio, I've had three Calicchios. A Hollywood 1s/2, Tulsa 1sZ/3rL (.468 bore), and now my new Tulsa 1s/2. If memory serves me correctly, I was playing my Hollywood 1s/2 at the time I tried Mr. Black's pieces. When I switched to Reeves, they just seemed to play a little better/easier on that horn. I still play a Reeves/LOUD mouthpiece combination and I think my LOUD is also based on one of the Jet-Tone models. I never tried the Black pieces on either of my Tulsa Calicchios. Maybe on those horns, I'd be pleasantly surprised. One of these days (when my pockets are deeper $$$) possibly I try the New York series again.

By the way, during my Black mouthpiece days, I also tried the Rich Szabo model. It was nice but too large for me

--Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: