• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

strong colleges/trumpet...the results

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel was accepted at Juilliard, Northwestern, Eastman, Manhattan and U Maryland. She is wait listed at Curtis as the #1 alternate. wooo hoooo.
Now she has to decide. Then I pray for a lottery win. (g) Thanks to all for the advice and help earlier in the year. For some reason the forum will not let me login or post. I finally am trying under a different id. It may let me post just today and never again. Thats what happened the first time. I have endlessly sent for a new password, removed cookies, etc.
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Juilliard school it is. What a tough decision. Thanks again to all for the feedback here and in email.
Barbara
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great decision!!!! Barb, tell her congratulations. Who is she going to study with?

Rich
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She will study with Ray Mase. She's very excited about this opportunity. This summer she'll be at Kinhaven Summer Music program, and Brian McWhorter will be her teacher. She will be working away getting ready for Mr. Mase and Juilliard.
Barbara
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Great!!!! I went to Kinhaven in the summer of '88 (Pre-Brian) when my regular teacher (at the time) was there (Larry Wright). When she gets to "the yard" have her say "Hi" to Ray for me!!

Rich S.
(Juilliard class of '93 and '95)

[ This Message was edited by: 308Win on 2003-04-18 18:01 ]
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell her to say hi! Kinhaven has been just the best place to learn and play. When she went before it was Jim Sherry on Trumpet, Tony Mazzocchi -Trombone, and Carolyn Wahl -French Horn. A fine group of people!
http://www.kinhaven.org The guestbook is DOA for a long time but there are some old posts and archives. Plus you might know one of the teachers.
Barbara
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She might want to give a read to "Nothing but the Best" (The Struggle for Perfection at the Juilliard School) (Random House 1987) by Judith Kogan, a terrific book. I've read it twice. It's endorsed by Yo-Yo Ma, Peter Schickele and Eugenia Zukerman, all alumnus, I believe. I am not giving a synopsis because the title and subtitle say it all.
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never heard of the book before, but found it on amazon. Picking a conservatory was a gutwrenching decision for her, but she now committed to going there. I had trouble posting before so this is separated from the original thread, but as I had said there she has been in the Pre-college of Juilliard since 8th grade. She has had an inspiring teacher who is a mentor to his students. ( Kevin Cobb of ABQ) She knows some of the other trumpets already, as well as other instrumentalists who were in pre-college with her. To be honest, I would think that a place like North Texas ( I think thats it) with a large number of trumpeters would be just as high pressure as Juilliard.
I'd be interested in reading responses if someone wanted to make going to conservatory or not a separate thread, although I'm sure its been thrashed out before.
The Library Journal at the time gave it a bit of a scathing review to the book you mention, since the accounts are actually fiction.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehaulani,
When I was there the bookstore still carried "Nothing but the Best" more or less as a joke. Yes, there are some funny anecdotes in it, but there's also ALOT of BS too. Just like any sort of research, if you limit yourself to one source, the results will be flawed. "NTB" is just one anecdotal book. Other than some of the stories that are VERY funny (especially if you saw it happen) yet not "PC" (so therefore I won't go into it), most of it falls into the realm of "urban legend" (ie. pianists putting razor blades between keys to thwart "rivals" in a concerto competition).
Barbara,
Tell, Rachael to say "Hi" to Kev as well. We were in the same class for our Masters' and played in a couple quintets. One helluva guy and player too. Your assessment about "competition" was right on the money. I didn't find the environment terribly competitive (at least in the negative sense....I mean c'mon you gotta have some competition. No competition doesn't work) at all. Everyone (at least in the trumpet studio) knew what each person could do, and that each person had something that he/she could do better than everyone else (which generated mutual respect/friendship in the studio).
Also, you'll find that while Juilliard is expensive, they do try to help as much as possible. Something like 90% of all the students there receive some sort of financial aid (I used to know the exact number from my work study days giving school tours in the summer...I seem to have lost a bit of the "schpiel"). Now cost of living in NYC on the other hand.......

Take care
Rich

[ This Message was edited by: 308Win on 2003-04-20 12:50 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: