• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It's over - thanks guys

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpelicious,

Good to hear that you still will be into music with your guitar. Music is the important thing, not trumpet.

If you later got a second thought and wanted to give trumpet a new try, there must be some good trumpeters / teachers "down under"?

I've been in touch with Greg Spence - perhaps he could be one to try?

Here is his website: http://www.mysterytomastery.com/

Thanks for you honest input, and good luck with your music!

Ole
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it rude and inappropriate for members here to jump on the Callet forum (a dedicated forum) and try to promote their other methods, directly or indirectly.

If you were really sincere about helping this guy, you would PM him. Instead, you seek to make a public statement, which is all about ego.

Let's be specific here. I didn't see any Reinhardt guys jump in here, or Caruso guys, or BE guys, etc. For some strange reason, its always the Gordon guys who can't stand (or fathom) Callet, and relish every opportunity to take a shot at him.

I studied with Claude Gordon directly. Many of his students quit in frustration too. That's just the plain truth. Watching Gordon students take shots at Callet (again) makes me aware once again that nothing has really changed on the TH in the past 10 years.

Those who can't appreciate Callet's contributions are in the deepest ignorance.

Jeff Smiley
KAJR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without making a judgement call on what comments are appropriate or not, I would like to point out a possible answer to one question that has come up on this thread. I do not followup any of the different schools or teachers that have their own dedicated forum on this site, I simply do not know enough about anyone of them to make an informed decision.

However, I was following this thread simply because it had shown up on the home tab and I looked at it because the title was interesting. I had no idea even reading the thread that it was on the Callet forum, it is easy enough to see, but I don't often look to see which forum the thread is in.

I am not defending myself because I have not previously posted on this thread; but the point I would like to make is, surely there are others out there besides me that do not always look as the specific forums. Sometimes I search by forum, sometimes by keyword and sometimes things just jump out and grab me.

I do see things on this thread and others that I wish people would not say, however, I typically try to give folks the benefit of the doubt most of the time.

To the OP, I am truly sorry to hear you call it quits. As others have opined, don't give up on music altogether. Anyone who plays music at any level, if they are honest, will tell you they have felt the same as some point. However, you chose music because it speaks to you, it calls your name. Unlike other professions musicians rarely choose to be a musician just so they can get filthy rich If you walk away all together, a piece of you will be missing, I know, I tried. Keep your fingers in it, just for the enjoyment.

As I think I have probably previously posted, to me the times I enjoy playing the trumpet the most, is just sitting on the floor, back against the wall, no lights, no charts, no audience, just playing whatever comes to me. The peace and simplicity that comes with that... At that point, I don't care if no one hears or the whole world hears, because it is not about them, it is just me and the music.

FWIW
Keith
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Let's be specific here. I didn't see any Reinhardt guys jump in here, or Caruso guys, or BE guys, etc. For some strange reason, its always the Gordon guys who can't stand (or fathom) Callet, and relish every opportunity to take a shot at him.

This reminds me both of The Warriors, and the old Star Trek episode in which Kirk and Spock end up on a planet full of warring 1920's gangsters.
mgronda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody gets frustrated. I am not that experienced in this, but I can say this: I e-mailed Jerry with my frustration. He replied to me and told me to call him when I get a chance. I called him. I was shocked. He spent 40min with me on the phone at no cost! He really demonstrated concren with my frustration. Bottom line is this: we all hit obstactles and struggles. Don't get frustrated! It only inhibits progression. Patience, patience, patience. I cannot stress how Jerry hit the nail on the head with me as I realize that if I maintain a calm, possitive attitude, then I get a better pratice session. I know this because I remember how unproductive my practice sessions were before that talk with Jerry. It really is a psychological thing when playing and practicing. I truly believe that.
mg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mgronda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:

Those who can't appreciate Callet's contributions are in the deepest ignorance.

Jeff Smiley

Mr. Smiley,
I am sorry to say this, but you puzzle me as you also do not promote MSC. Why, because if you truly believe in Jerry's methods, then that is what you would be teaching and not your modified method: "Ballaced Embouchure." I am sorry, but I find it difficult to believe you understand Jerry's teaching when you yourself have deviated from it. Make no mistake, you are a respected player as well as successful in your method.

mg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep revisiting this thread as it keeps popping up on the 'most recent posts' box.

Really? Disciples of trumpet 'schools' taking cheap shots at each other? This is getting ridiculous! How many of us would be better players if we spent the time pushing air down the leadpipe instead of logging on here?

PT Barnum would have loved trumpet players. There's one born every minute!

As for methods, there is no substitute for your own. Find it! Have a good teacher, but blaze your own trail. Listen to many, but follow none. Subscribe to no trumpet playing religion. Go where the journey takes you, and for God's sake, stop crying about it.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
I find it rude and inappropriate for members here to jump on the Callet forum (a dedicated forum) and try to promote their other methods, directly or indirectly.

Indeed, this thread is now outside of the intent of the Callet forum. It will be moved to a more appropriate venue ...
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half the threads that make it to 3 pages end up in a fight.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original poster should have a look at this post, located at http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=891016#891016:

Quote:
Four years ago my brother gave me a Bach TR300 for Christmas. I had been talking about dreams I was having about playing trumpet in a concert band or in church. I played the alto sax from grade school through HS and was good enough but nothing special. So I could read music and had the basic vocabulary. I was 44 years old so it was more than half my life ago that I’d been on stage with my high school band.
I took private lessons and after a year and a half I found a small orchestra that was just starting up and needed players. Since then I have performed with five more groups (they come and go) but now I have two which I am faithful to and will last.
Dec. 10 my primary community band had its winter concert in the High School auditorium. We were all thrilled that for the first time there were more people in the audience than were on stage. Our program was:

Symphony No. 1—“The Lord of the Rings” Gandalf Johan De Meij
Sussex Mummers’ Christmas Carol Percy Grainger
Concerto for Tuba and Concert Band PhillipSparke Symphonic Prelude on Adeste Fidelis Claude T. Smith
Russian Christmas Music Alfred Reed
Sleigh Ride Leroy Anderson

I played trumpet 3 or 4 and cornet 3 on the pieces (there were 4 trumpets total and about 45 total musicians). Even so there were sections I never mastered and some I could not play properly (I can’t double tongue for instance). I have to count using my fingers and focus every moment so I don’t get lost.
The next day I downloaded a recording of the performance and when my wife came home she found me listening to it on my computer with tears streaming down my cheeks. “What’s the matter” she asked. “I had no idea we sounded like this” I replied. Now granted my bar is not that high. The last time I heard a recording of my performance in was in 1978 taped on a cassette player my mother held on her lap. Nonetheless, I was and am still blown away by the beauty of what I had been a part of.
I have a preschool daughter and a job that is time intensive. If I get to practice once or twice a week it’s a great week. I know I will never be first trumpet and am happy to play whatever part I can. But I’m thinking that it may be time to buy a new trumpet. I know equipment will not make up for my lack of practice but I think I owe it to myself and the groups that allow me to play with them to invest in an instrument worthy of the beauty of the music we make.
I have started a savings account and will wait until I can afford a new trumpet, suited to my needs, which will bury me. I like the idea of giving my money to Lawler, but that is totally an emotional response to what I’ve read in this forum.
What should I look for? What should I beware? What should I expect? What would you recommend?
Thank you for reading this long post and know that you’re guidance will be appreciated.
The Grand Street Community Band
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am sorry, but I find it difficult to believe you understand Jerry's teaching

Only in the Callet forum would someone who appreciates Jerry be asked, "but do you REALLY appreciate him, exactly the right way?"

You just shoot yourself in the foot when you question the fullness of another persons knowledge. Support is support. Isn't it enough that I can see that he has helped many people? Isn't it enough that I can see that he is not a charlatan?

Besides, I know Jerry from being around him, rather than just phone conversations.

Jeff
goldenhornplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, and not that he necessarily needs it, but I certainly can vouch for Jeff (Trumpetteacher1) and his direct and honest opinions concerning Jerome. I have had numerous conversations with Jeff over the past 8-9 years concerning this and it's quite logical to understand how he can appreciate Jerome's contributions without totally ascribing to what Jerry teaches. Most of us, who have been doing this for a while, understand that Jerome is teaching a complete and specific embouchure method. On the other hand, I think it's accurate to say that Jeff's approach is much less specific and more focused on various excercises and techniques that can be used to develop an embouchure. Jeff, if you're reading this, please set me straight if I have mispoken. --Ken B.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<About half the threads that make it to 3 pages end up in a fight.>>

That's funny Jet, but probably true. This thread has raised enough tension so there is a pretty strong consensus to shut it down. I'll try to hang in there a pinch longer, but only a pinch. All contributions from here out have to be POLITE and CONSTRUCTIVE. Otherwise, I'll lock it down and throw away the key. - Kyle
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Those who can't appreciate Callet's contributions are in the deepest ignorance. >>

I don't think you could ask for much more support than that! To recognize and support doesn't necessary mean to adopt. Jeff, as I'm sure you know, your support here is greatly appreciated. Best always, Kyle
jouko
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Why not to buy a B.E.R.P and begin really play the trumpet. If you

don´t know what a B.E.R.P is do a Google search! It has helped me to

get going in the right direction. And I´m pretty sure that it could help

you too.

Kind Regards
Jouko Moilanen
Helsinki. Finland
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpelicious, get back your last unsold horn (unless you let your horns go on a super sale) and give it a good bath! Use the snake and oil everything proper. As you bring it into the clean shape, give it a blow or two. Does it feel any different now that you have stayed out of playing for a few weeks?
MrA2you

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpelicious........Your decision dude. Send yr axe into orbit if thats how ya feel. Hang it up and just play the thing occasionally for fun....... if the mood takes ya. I had my last lesson 30 years ago at age 17 and stopped playing altogether at age 18, only to start playin again aged 30, not totally serious, just for fun, but managed to regain the skills required to play "bumper up" in a good ol British Brass Band at a decent level. I can hit G above top C (weak n thin it may be but I know thats my limit), bought myself a "new" trumpet (and boy do I enjoy annoying the neighbours with my attempts at stripping the paint off the walls) enjoy the social side blah blah blah. Its never gonna be my profession, I dont have the dedication or the ability, I realised that years ago, so I play for my own pleasure (and "Happy Birthday" gets played down the phone for friends n relatives and they love it.... honest.... its become a tradition.... somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread and youd be suprised at the joy and reaction). Be aware of your own limitations, and enjoy what your capable of. Ok ya maybe not gonna be the next Fergie or Wynt but neither am I or the next man or the next etc etc etc. but I do get pleasure out of being an entertainer (of sorts). All in all, every new piece I practice and play adds to my repertoire and my playing improves in one way or another.

Good luck with your decision.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ya know, trumpet is hard. There has been many a time I've thought I shouldn't even bother.

But I'm stubborn.

If you want to keep playing brass, try trombone. Not everyone's face is suitable for trumpet. I'm sure mine isn't, but what the heck.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to recommend a book:

"A Devil to Play"

(subtitle: One Man's Year-Long Quest to Master the Orchestra's Most
Difficult Instrument), by the British journalist Jasper Rees.

Even if you put the horn (trumpet in your case) on the shelf, you can come back later (as Jasper did).

Ole
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it sounds as if range is at the bottom of the frustration, although by reading only an Internet forum, I may be wrong. But, that is the specific thing that is mentioned, along with inconsistency - but it sounds as if that is also in regard to high range.

I guess if the main objective for playing the trumpet is high range and there is no other reason to play, then I also would not be surprised by someone quitting.

However, IMHO, there is so much more to playing the trumpet than demonstrating high notes, and if high notes are all it is about to any given person, then quitting sounds like a good idea to me.

There are many people who play their entire lives without acquiring a huge range. There are some people who seem to acquire high range almost immediately. Then, there are Internet websites where people can say anything about their ability to play anything at all and no one will ever know - I mean I could say I can play beyond the range of the piano keyboard, but no one will ever know for sure based on what I might decide to post on the Internet.

I think that playing the trumpet is a lifelong endeavor. You work at it forever. You have good days and not so good. True for everyone, even the pros.

Frustration is normal at times. That alone is no reason to quit. But, if the frustration is simply due to a lack of high range, then I would certainly quit, because I think that high notes are not enough of a reason to make the trumpet the instrument of choice, and to dedicate a lifetime to it.

I would select some other instrument to learn if I wanted to play an instrument; one that did not have the high range "issue" associated with it. However, any instrument wil have its own unique set of obstacles to master.

After playing the trumpet since 1962, I am sad to think that the measure of the trumpet as a desirable instrument to so many people is how far above high C a player's range extends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: