• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

an issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: an issue Reply with quote

Is there any way we could all start giving advice? I know that every problem can be answered with the following statements:

"Buy the one that works the best for you"
"It's different for everyone"
"ask your teacher"

but can we please pretend that these things are an unwritten rule and start giving players advice. I'm so tired of someone asking for advice on a horn or technique and getting 10 or 12 posts that all, in effect, say nothing. Sure, there are times when those answers really do fit the question, but those times are rare. You could even write your general statement that lacks originality and helps no one, and then, having said that, can give your opinion, which is why people come on to this site in the first place. but seriously, that crap gets on my nerves so cut it out.
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: an issue Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Is there any way we could all start giving advice?...

OK.

I'll go first.

My advice:

Posts in Trumpet Herald should not include
"Location: Hell"
and
"Depleted Uranium Harpoon"
and
"blood of your enemies"

- Morris
JayJay
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand this posting too well.

I'm not a teacher, nor am I a cornetist of 45 years or more...

but I'm here on the forum for the same thing...ADVICE.

Actually, its the experiences of others. If I have a question about the correct MP for my cornet to make that certian sound...I hope the forum would give experiences of others.

But I have had the other as well, get a private teacher and don't ask me.

Go to Arban and do what's on Page 44.

though all this IS ADVICE, I would think personal experience should ber the best advice we can get from a forum like this.

but the importance of a private teacher cannot be ignored. thus this forum is not a replacement for private lessons.

thanks again for your response.

God Bless Y'all!
=======================
-=iii=<() '71 Conn Director Trumpet
o=ciii=<O
o=ciii<O
o-ciii<O
BLESSING BCR-XLS
roytrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could begin by calling an "issue" what it really is. A problem.
favtrump

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roytrpt wrote:
Maybe we could begin by calling an "issue" what it really is. A problem.

It might not be an issue or a problem. Before we continue we have to make sure it is not a conundrum or a quandary either. We also have to rule out the possibility of it being a dilemma or botheration.
roytrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken. But can we lose the PC all inclusive use of "issue"?
favtrump

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roytrpt wrote:

I think we should call it a query formulation facilitator.
roytrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

favtrump wrote:
roytrpt wrote:

Fine with me. Anything but "issue". Plus, those are more interesting words.
favtrump

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roytrpt wrote:
favtrump wrote:
roytrpt wrote:

Fine with me. Anything but "issue". Plus, those are more interesting words.

Cool. Should we require proprietary query formulation facilitator identification codes when referring to quandaries or should we allow a floating scale random identification matrix to infuse links of conundrums and/or dilemmas according to their relative chronology and relevance ?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice given on the forum is not that bad. Nobody here had suggested the favourite band director's line:

"You should switch to a trombone/low brass/french horn/tuba ..."
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: an issue Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Is there any way we could all start giving advice? I know that every problem can be answered with the following statements:

"Buy the one that works the best for you"
"It's different for everyone"
"ask your teacher"

but can we please pretend that these things are an unwritten rule and start giving players advice. I'm so tired of someone asking for advice on a horn or technique and getting 10 or 12 posts that all, in effect, say nothing. Sure, there are times when those answers really do fit the question, but those times are rare. You could even write your general statement that lacks originality and helps no one, and then, having said that, can give your opinion, which is why people come on to this site in the first place. but seriously, that crap gets on my nerves so cut it out.

I would agree, but it would help if people posting "advice" should provide some useful information in their profile.

It doesn't have to contain your real name or anything that you feel might be too personal, but it should be enough to give the reader some idea of where you are coming from. This would be especially important to the younger readers who might have a hard time sorting out what information might help (or hurt) them.

Don Lee
dave belknap
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: an "issue" Reply with quote

Jay Jay:

Many questions, generally having to do with trumpet/cornet or fleuglehorn playing techniques, are printed here in the TH. Some are answerable at face value. The most frequent questions or at least one of the most frequent questions asked, involves mouthpieces and their effect, model for model, upon the player's sound.

Without seeing and hearing the person play, it is VERY difficult for us (full time playing professionals) to render an intelligent and helpful answer. Example: "My cornet tone is thin and fuzzy. I want to find a mouthpiece that will help me to fill out my tone and help me in the range department" (signed) 56 4 ever". If those making the inquiries are to be taken seriously when asking such a question, here are a few simple, inexpensive tips. Watch your grammar and your spelling. If the person making the inquiry sounds as though he/she didn't just fall off of the barn, most of us will tend to take the person a bit more seriously. Us your actual name. In your case, I would lose the "y'all" at the end of your queries. Next, if at all possible, have a friend make a reasonably good quality vcr of you whilst you are playing your horn. The views should show every angle of your face, whilst playing. Tell us what make and model horn you are playing.....do the same thing with the mouthpiece. Be completely certain that the instrument and the mouthpiece are completely clean, internally. Be certain that the water keys aren't leaking. Have some one take a snap shot of your mouth....sober expression.....lips closed but in a relaxed position. Have a snap shot take of your face, whilst smiling. We want to see your front upper and lower teeth. NOW we might be able to help you. We have heard and seen you playing. We know something about your mechanical and physical equipment. None of this replaces the need for a good teacher. Find recordings of a noted professional player. For your immediate purposes, forget about the jazz soloists and the high note artists. Listen to his/her sound. When you find one that appeals to you, learn to make that sound. When you know what you are trying to attain in the way of sound, you have a good start. Follow these simple rules and your chances of getting answers to your questions, rather than getting the brush off, are considerably enhanced.

Cheers,

Dave Belknap
trumpet/cornet/fleuglehorn
Local #47, American Federation of Musicians
Hollywood, CA
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you went and done it, Scorpion!!!

Reading many posts on here when people answer or give advice, it's apparent there are many who answer who don't really qualify to do so. Lots of HS kids and inexperienced players with opinions, but not advice from a long-term standpoint. Not that everyone isn't entitled to theirs, but it is often the way I read these things. Some of the queries are also either not explained very well or seem so obvious that the poster could likely get an answer from almost any experienced player that was in the same room rather than post in an open forum on the internet. Then there are those trying to bait us as well.

Gee, I think I answered in the same type of language you'd like to see dumped, but again, this is how I read many posts here- ask advice from people who will never, ever be able to be in a position to actually see and hear the poster, and the poster looking for free advice, again from what could be the most rank amateur, or a true pro. Tough to know which unless one knows some of the screen names.

As far as "hell", and the harpoon thing, it would be a lot more boring around here without it, or the different avatars. Most of the symphony rehearsals I sit through end up being "Hell" as well, waiting to play while the strings get their work-over or the little guy with the stick gives us all some sort of music history lesson... Guess it's OK, though, it ends up paying the same as playing for the time allotted.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are people too lazy to scroll through the responses or "pick and choose what is right for them?

Geez!

My advice: Leave things alone!

Best wishes,

Lloyd
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: an issue Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
I'm so tired of someone asking for advice on a horn or technique and getting 10 or 12 posts that all, in effect, say nothing. Sure, there are times when those answers really do fit the question, but those times are rare.

There's a formulaic quality to threads often. Like entrances and exits of characters (being the phrases you mentioned) and exits during a play.

I'll work harder at talking to folks like they're real. They probably are.
JayJay
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to his/her sound. When you find one that appeals to you, learn to make that sound. When you know what you are trying to attain in the way of sound, you have a good start.

well, now here is where I'm at. I found a Whole CD of "The Sound" one song in particular and I get goose bumps when I hear it over and over. that is the sound I want to play.

I've been taking notes in the forums about MP's and all and It hink I found the combination. Now Its the player that needs to come up to par with the equipment.

When talking to Private Teachers, they tell me, you can't believe everything you get over the internet. As well as a thought I never noted, nothing is for free, and the advice here is just that free.

So it comes down to forget these forums and delete account and stay with the private teacher. that is what I got out of this thread.

I'll return when I make it big, so I can post intelligently. And not ask that stupid question over and over again. Not wanting to be disected from the inside out because of my MP post.
Quote:
Quote:

God Bless Y'all!
=======================
-=iii=<() '71 Conn Director Trumpet
o=ciii=<O
o=ciii<O
o-ciii<O
BLESSING BCR-XLS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: