• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Alaskan restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Alaskan restoration Reply with quote

I like vintage horns, and Olds horns in particular. My main axe is a Super Recording completely restored by Dr. Valve.

This looks pretty. Anyone familiar with this outfit and the chances of this being a great playing horn? You know, not just anyone can pull this off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/F-E-Olds-FRENCH-Trumpet-Rare-Beauty_W0QQitemZ280296488601QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBr

I don't want to cast aspersions on anyone's work, but there ARE some companies that just do a superficial hack job.

Also offered by this company at present is a green Ambassador.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on the previous names on ebay button..............

Been discussed here before.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:
Click on the previous names on ebay button..............

Been discussed here before.

I spent several minutes looking for such a button,
both on the auction page and then on the feedback page.

I finally tried clicking on the "view more options" drop-down menu
of the feedback page, which gave me the option "view ID history".

That ID history shows me 12 names in 8 years, which is a bad sign.

I have no idea how to find feedback history for past seller names.

I prefer not to have to plug all 12 names one by one into Trumpet Herald's inferior search engine in an attempt to find past talk about the company.

UPDATE: I just tried plugging 3 of the seller's names into the Trumpet Herald search engine, one at a time, and all 3 times it said there were no mentions in the Trumpet Herald forums.

- Morris
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn6B wrote:

The seller's vitals:

An eBay member since February 1999.
Feedback score well over 500 points.
100% Positive Feedback

What exactly are you worried about?

By the way, when one changes their eBay user ID, their feedback - good or bad - still stays with them.

The guy is most likely changing his ID name in a marketing effort to have a more appealing business name on eBay.
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Conn6B wrote:

The seller's vitals:

An eBay member since February 1999.
Feedback score well over 500 points.
100% Positive Feedback

What exactly are you worried about?

By the way, when one changes their eBay user ID, their feedback - good or bad - still stays with them.

The guy is most likely changing his ID name in a marketing effort to have a more appealing business name on eBay.

100 percent feedback?

Feedback scores are based only on the last 12 months.

The feedback details:

Page 1 - BEWARE! HORRIBLE Ebayer! NO RESPONSE TO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS! STAY AWAY!

Page 2 - Item did not come as shown....AVOID

Page 6 - INCOMPETANT, UNTRUSTWORTHY PERSON FEELS NO RESPONSIBILITY-AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

Page 6 - Horn wasn't playable on arrival, but I was charged $800 for shipping damage.

Page 9 - never paid, never returned emails

Page 11 - Deceitful seller false description of the trumpet YOU AVOID THIS SELLER

Page 22 - seller backed out of no-reserve auction after it ended, did not answer e-mails

Page 22 - you should send me Case, Mouthpiece and Finger Ring.

Page 24 - Slow pay after 5 weeks

Page 24 - in spite of 3 emails, no check for the CD (all of $7.00 !!)

So only 10 bad feedbacks out of 587.
That would be a feedback of 98.3 percent positive.

He changes his eBay name an average of every 49 transactions,
an average of once every 8 months,
approximately every time that he receives a bad feedback from someone.

According to the feedback, most people were happy doing business with him.

- Morris
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to remember -
Many e-bayer's DON'T leave negative feedback. While the rules have recently changed AGAINST the seller, it was typical to leave retalitory negative feedback, so people stayed quiet to avoid getting THEIR record hurt. Now a seller CANNOT LEAVE NEGATIVE feedback, makes it much less effective device for the seller.

Also check FEEDBACK left for others. This fellow has left quite a few negatives in his day. Some might of been justified, some were the persons ONLY negative. Also look at the TONE of the negative.

Reasonable: "No pay after usual procedure, sorry but failed to complete"
Un-Reasonable: "Liar! Cheat! Crook! Will burn in Hell after my lawyers get through!"
Who do you want to do business with?

-fred
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them on ebay for a number of years and they have done some wonderful restoration work. I thought that some of their work was at one time, done at a store in Cleveland. I could be mistaken about that. The only thing that I have ever questioned about their horns was the price. This one is no exception. They seem a little high. I realize they have been refurbished.

However, I was at a friend of mines a couple of weeks ago who collects Olds.
We were working our way through them playing each one for a couple pieces and then switching horns. His top four Olds were the Mendez, the Recording, the Super and then the French Model. It was a superb playing horn. It is in very good shape with some slight lacquer wear and an original case in good condition. He paid $750 for it a little over a year ago. So, while the French Model is hard to find I am not sure if I would pay as much as they are asking. You may have to look around a little bit but you might find a better deal.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike
davewithabuescher
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never dealt with the alaska folks but they told me they had a second location in Cleveland, when I contacted them a few years back.
The Cleveland location ended up being Borodi Music.
In short I had a very bad experience with Borodi Music, here is the relevant portion of a much longer post of mine on a different topic...

<open snippet>
On Ebay I found a vendor who auctioned off complete rehab and/or re-plating of horns (I won’t mention them by name here) they had excellent feedback and the website pictures showed dire horns made new and whole again. They had 2 locations, one in Alaska and one here in Ohio an hour or two from us. I contacted them by phone and talked with the owner of the Cleveland location who told me the Buescher 400 was an excellent horn and that he would rate it as equal to a Bach, Benge or Schilke and could rehab it to better than new for $300.00 in a couple of weeks.
I took a few before pictures and sent the horn and a check to the merchant and waited.
Well a couple of weeks went by and I got a bit worried so called and again talked with the owner.
He said the horn had been laquered over the silver and gold plating and that he couldn’t buff the finish as it would just turn the laquer cloudy and dull all over, but said he could strip and re-silverplate the whole horn for and extra $100.00. I asked my son what he thought and he eagerly offered to pay the extra himself for the extra new “shinyness” treatment (some things never change . At this point I had as much money in the old 400 as the nearly new Blessing, but having a nice horn at home to practice on seemed like and awesome idea.
Well after another month I called again and “your horn is almost ready”. Well I called the next week and he promised to send it out the next day. A few days later the Buescher arrived home..
It was very shiny and the dents were mostly gone, a faint ripple here and there but mostly nice until you began to look closely…..All the slides were plated end to end, which would be fine except they were so tight they were almost immobile. The new plating was only shiny in the open areas, it was dull and flat in the nooks and crannies. My son loved it anyway and oiled the hell out of the valves trying to break them in as the vendor claimed to have re-plated them. Well 2 weeks and a bottle of Al Cass later I called back and complained of the sticking valves as they were really worse than when we had sent it in. The merchant asked me to send it back and he would polish the finish and hone the valves. Well again a large period of time and a few phone calls later the horn arrived with no discernable changes made. My son tried to play it for marching band but hated the valves and managed to get another dent or two in his backup horn.
I got him a new Blessing ML1 for Christmas and put the 400 in the closet for a few years.
<close snippet>

original thread -
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81336&highlight=alucard
1947 Blessing Super Artist
1959 Mt Vernon Bach Stradivarious
1961 Buescher Aristoproject
1979 LA Benge 5x
???? Holton T102S
2009 Del Quadro Custom
Conn6B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

A company relies on its reputation to bring in new customers and to keep old customers.

By changing its eBay name 12 times in 9 years, that Alaska company is unable to keep its good reputation that it has allegedly earned in those 9 years.
Each time it changes its name, it must start all over again building a good reputation among customers under that new name.

There is no good reason for a good company to change its name 12 times in 9 years.

Then why have they changed the company name 12 times in 9 years?
I don't know.

- Morris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: