• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 700 VS Jupiter 660

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Kanstul 700 VS Jupiter 660 Reply with quote

Please, can anyone offer their opinion and preference between these two trumpets?! Kanstul 700 VS Jupiter 660.

I am familiar with the Jupiter and it plays well for what it is, but have no way to try the other without buying first.

Living here in Australia becomes incredibly difficult when it comes to trying/comparing horns.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter Uppman
Melbourne
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine a Jupiter horn being better than Kanstul, though the price of the Jupiter is probably less.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Jupiter 606 MRL for one of my students, and have played it a bit (about an hour). I've also tested a Kanstul 700 (side-by-side with a Getzen 700S), when helping another student decide on a new horn.

I'd say - based in this very limited comparison - that the Kanstul would be better if you're talking about the bottom-run "plain" Jupiter 600L. However, the rose-brass bell version and the monel pistons along with the silver plating of the other versions may tip the scale in favor of the Jupiter, depending on price.

See this chart:
http://www.jupitermusic.com/jbi_instruments.aspx?cId=24&lId=2&sId=1#

Is the Kanstul you are looking at silver? Which Jupiter? What are the prices?

- Brian
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry wrote:
I bought a Jupiter 606 MRL for one of my students, and have played it a bit (about an hour). I've also tested a Kanstul 700 (side-by-side with a Getzen 700S), when helping another student decide on a new horn.
However, the rose-brass bell version and the monel pistons along with the silver plating of the other versions may tip the scale in favor of the Jupiter, depending on price.

See this chart:
http://www.jupitermusic.com/jbi_instruments.aspx?cId=24&lId=2&sId=1#

Is the Kanstul you are looking at silver? Which Jupiter? What are the prices?
- Brian

Thanks for the replies.

The Jupiter JTR-606ML Advanced Student Trumpet has the rose brass leadpipe and is half the price of a Kanstul 700. Both lacquered.

I know the Jupiter plays great for what it is, but is the Kanstul double the price better?

Thanks
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Kanstul costs twice as much as the Jupiter, then I'd personally go with the Jupiter ... unless you're talking $300 vs $150. ($800 vs $400 is an easy call in favor of the cheaper Jupiter, IMO, unless money is no object.)
What's the intended use and who will be playing this horn? Your profile reads "pro musician", so it's not for you, right?
- Brian
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry wrote:
If the Kanstul costs twice as much as the Jupiter, then I'd personally go with the Jupiter ... unless you're talking $300 vs $150. ($800 vs $400 is an easy call in favor of the cheaper Jupiter, IMO, unless money is no object.)
What's the intended use and who will be playing this horn? Your profile reads "pro musician", so it's not for you, right? - Brian

Actually, the horn will be my back-up trumpet, with a Weril XL bore Soulhorn as my main. I've been using a Yamaha Q trumpet to date, but it's just just a little too restrictive in many ways, although plays well.

I'm looking for a cost effective smaller bore trumpet. I know the Jupiter, for I was once an endorsee of theirs here in Australia. It plays very well for my purposes.

I think psycologically the Kanstul would be a better choice, but money is always an issue for any Muso, and the wife has her limits on understanding, considering I've sold off some GREAT trumpets over the years!

Thanks for your help.
AlanC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kanstul 700 was on my new horn shortlist along with Yamaha 4335 and Stomvi Forte. At the time (about a year ago) price here in Oz was comparable on all 3. I chose the Stomvi as it played better for me. Bearing in mind that as a rank amateur, I'm closer to the opposite end of the trumpeteering spectrum, I'd still suggest having a look at the Stomvi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: