• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hickman's 100 PROGRESSIVE LESSONS FOR TRUMPET now available

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Hickman's 100 PROGRESSIVE LESSONS FOR TRUMPET now available Reply with quote

Hickman Music Editions is pleased to announce the publication of David Hickman's 100 PROGRESSIVE LESSONS FOR TRUMPET for the Beginning or Comeback Player. This is the perfect book for the first three years of study.

Each lesson is two pages in length. It is not a method book per se, but rather a set of etudes, technical studies, famous melodies, and "factoids" about music and the trumpet that can be used by any private teacher. Unlike most beginning books, lessons progress at a reasonable rate of difficulty. It also includes a 10-page glossary of musical terms and symbols.

You can click on the paid banner ad that occasionally appears at the top of your screen, or on the link below to see this item.

www.HickmanMusicEditions.com/select2.asp?page=5&selection=36

Dave Hickman
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered my copy. I've never been happy with any of the method books for beginners and would love to find something good.

Jason Pellett
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I wrote the book. I taught hundreds of beginners to work my way through college. All of the older books and methods progress too quickly. Mostly, many of the etudes are "dumb-sounding" and were not fun for the kids to play.

I am now teaching my great nephew. I purchased for him about 10 beginner's books but found it difficult to stay in one book all the way through. So, we began using my own manuscripts. He enjoys them very much as they progress at a speed that will take a beginning player two to three years to complete. They are comprehensive, too.

All major keys -- major and minor -- are covered. I toss in appropriate level Arban, Clarke and Concone exercises and etudes here and there, but 85% of the book is my own. I introduce double and triple tonguing about half way through, which shouldn't be a problem for students taking private lessons.

Dave Hickman
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I usually resort to my hand written stuff as well, plus the things that I use enough to put into Finale. I've been meaning to get it all in order and have a coherent book, but grad school gets in the way a little. So I hope this one works out for me and I'll just write the book of progressive duets I've been planning on.

Jason Pellett
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful news! I look forward to getting a copy and using it with my students!
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
diz the wiz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just order mine ,can't wait to receive it.
49 Selmer
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a copy too. I'm working with my 12 year old son and have been looking around for new books to play with. Nice to see some modern looking cover art too. He's been using my old copy of the Clarke book with the picture of Clarke on the cover. He says that old guy looks mad.
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, rockford (or anyone else):

If you own Clarke's Elementary Studies, how does the Hickman book compare?
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Graves wrote:
hey, rockford (or anyone else):

If you own Clarke's Elementary Studies, how does the Hickman book compare?
I only have the original Clarke Technical Studies book with the picture of H.L. Clarke on the cover looking pretty serious. I think the Hickman edition combines 4 of the Clarke books into one volume.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clarke ELEMENTARY STUDIES progress way too quickly!!! I did incorporate a few of his etudes into my book, however.

DH
lwwarner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

I recently got my horn out of the closet after 30+ years and I have been searching high and low for practice material. In particular I am looking for lessons that I can work on sequentially, not just books full of thousands of exercises or "dumb-sounding" etudes. Just as you said, I find that most books become either to complex or go to high to quickly.

It sounds like your book might be what I'm looking for. Is there any way to see some sample pages?
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have sample pages on my website. Sorry. It is so new that most stores don't even have it yet, but I am so certain that you will like it that I will refund your money if you don't want it. Just return it in perfect condition.

DH
joefab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine a couple of days ago....can't wait to get it.
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've gotten it and looked through it I'm going to say with almost complete certainty that there is not any other beginner book that comes even close to this. It's almost uncanny how similar it is to what I scrawl out for my students at the beginning. The big advantage (besides having it already written out) is that it progresses to more complicated rhythms faster than I do, largely because I'm just trying to write fast so I keep it simple. All of my students will use this book. I'm excited to have my students start using it. Be on the lookout for orders from Atlanta!

Jason Pellett

Last edited by jpellett on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my copy. One of the many things I like about it is that it starts off teaching all the different notes from C to G including the sharp and flat notes. One of the first things I do with new trumpet players is trade off blowing notes and have them play back while using a fingering chart for reference. I've never felt the need to limit them to just a few notes. This book has an adult approach that I think younger players will appreciate too. Good job!
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the end of these lessons - how advanced is the material? In terms of standard lit, lets say, what would be the next step beyond the 100 lessons?

GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next step? Arban method, Clarke Studies, Schlossberg Daily Drills, Voxman Selected Studies, Hering etudes, anything Grade III.
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Next step? Arban method, Clarke Studies, Schlossberg Daily Drills, Voxman Selected Studies, Hering etudes, anything Grade III.

Thanks David!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lwwarner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on Dave's assurance and Jason's positive comments, I went ahead and ordered the 100 Lessons book along with a copy of Dave's 4-in-1 Clarke Studies book. The books arrived today! The 100 Lessons book looks like it will be a very valuable addition to my new but growing music library, and will serve as a good foundation as I start down the comeback trail.

Thanks, Dave!
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading through the book for a few days and browsing around with my 12 year old looking for a good place to start him out. We'll still use the earlier lessons too. For more advanced students the early lessons lend themselves well to working with double tongueing and learning to use the first and third slides. Lots of good reading too. I particularly enjoyed seeing the mention of the Ernest Williams school and Gil Mitchell. This is a good book that has been needed for a long time. Thanks for putting it together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: