• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hickman's 100 PROGRESSIVE LESSONS FOR TRUMPET now available

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine this week -- great book! Each lesson touches on basic flow-type exercises, melodic, and technical material, and is laid out such that you could go back and forth among studies at your own pace.

I am amazed at the number of good new study books coming out these days to supplement the tried and true. BE, Focal Point, this Progressive Studies, etc. etc. etc. I need to sit down and list my favs one day, but now need to get ready for a dress rehearsal tonight... - Don
mateo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what Dr. H's book looks like yet, I have thought of ordering it. I really like using the Harold Mitchell books for some of my students but I have found that if there is one thing that they lack are flow studies or something good to warm up with. I usually supplement these books with exercises from the Cichowicz book or from the Plog book of warm ups.
Chris Brown
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
The Clarke ELEMENTARY STUDIES progress way too quickly!!! I did incorporate a few of his etudes into my book, however.

I’ve just ordered this book on the strength of Dave’s comparison with Herbert Clarke’s Elementary studies.
I’ve been playing for 3 years. I bought my copy of elementary studies about 18 months ago, and proceeded quite comfortably until I got to the interval lessons. After about a month of practicing the interval lessons I finally managed to make a pass at all of them
although they weren’t perfect. Since then I haven’t bothered with the elementary studies.
I took this issue up with my teacher about six months ago. He said intervals are difficult to master. He had me play through the interval exercises and said I was making a fair pass at them. He suggested that I should not beat myself up about them concentrate of the slurring exercises he set me and run through the intervals section once a month.

PS. For Dave. I ordered your book through Peppers as their postage costs to the UK was much cheaper.

Chris Brown.

Yamaha 6335 Mk II Pro trumpet
King 650 Flugel Horn
Yamaha 2330 MkII Cornet
Holton T161 C trumpet
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mateo wrote:
I dont know what Dr. H's book looks like yet, I have thought of ordering it. I really like using the Harold Mitchell books for some of my students but I have found that if there is one thing that they lack are flow studies or something good to warm up with. I usually supplement these books with exercises from the Cichowicz book or from the Plog book of warm ups.
I like the Mitchell books and use them a lot. The first two Mitchell books have a lot of good things in them for most players. I don't think they stand alone though as the only method to use though. After about halfway through the first book he gets into the more advanced key signatures that, while they are good to do, don't have a lot of practical application in early school band. Lots of good stuff in the books but the lesson by lesson format seems to break down at that point. They're great for adults who are returning to trumpet and already read and understand music. I'm using Dr. H's book with my son and a few students. So far so good.
Chris Brown
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had my copy for 3 weeks.
I’ve been playing for just over 3 years. Dave Hickman said the book covers the first 3 years of development, so I turned to the latter exercises just to see the range requirements and was presently surprised that it wasn’t much higher than A just above the staff. (I can play G below this A and squeak the Ab & A)
I’m on lesson 11 at present. The lessons so far have helped me in terms of my timing and counting (the beat) which has been one of my weaknesses.
I particularly like the way the studies (so far) are presented:
Eg. Starting off low on the staff (4:4, 3:4, 2:4) a measure of crotchets, quavers, triplet quavers, semi quavers, and minim. Then work up the staff in the same sequence.
This type of note progression has helped my teacher drum into me the importance of keeping the same timing during all the measures of each study. So I’ve had some payback already!

Chris Brown.

Yamaha 6335 Mk II Pro trumpet
King 650 Flugel Horn
Yamaha 2330 MkII Cornet
Holton T161 C trumpet
curtisrose26

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: David Hickman's 100 PROGRESSIVE LESSONS FOR TRUMPET Reply with quote

I just came across the posts about David Hickman's 100 PROGRESSIVE LESSONS FOR TRUMPET for the Beginning or Comeback Player. It caught my attention, first of all, because I am just trying to be a comeback player. This looks like the step-by-step approach I need.
Also caught my attention because I arrived at CU the year after Dave Hickman graduated. Most of the talk about the standards of excellence were about Dave Hickman. Seeing this recharged my interest in starting my comeback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: