• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pull toward the mouthpiece?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, wet lips feel horrible for me.. at least, wetness on the rim does. I keep the middle part of my lips moist, even licking the mpc cup, but I feel like I need to keep the rim and the outside part of my lips dryish. I would much rather have a wet embouchure.. I understand the need to be able to move the lips around.. but I'm trying not to think about my lips. I figure that in time, it'll sort itself out.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post. But reading Claude Gordan's description of the lips contracting toward the mouthpiece in sort of a pucker, does the Lynn Nicholson method of unfurling the lips come into play here?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to SEE what a player is doing is preferable to written or spoken descriptions - if what is seen conflicts with the wording, then proceed carefully.

What physical action for playing is desired? Is the seeing or the saying more likely to produce / enable that action?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jay. I think it's both. You can read about someone saying they are doing this or that, & they can tell you what THEIR results is. Or, you can see someone do something & then hear the results. Of course, especially the written word, can be up for interpretation, as are many posts on this site! But one can try what someone suggests, & play around with it to see if it works for you. That is, if you understand what that person is trying to explain. Watching someone (for example, Lynn Nickolson unfurling his embouchure) & seeing & HEARING the results is a lot less open to interpretation, & easier to copy to see if it works for you. (Sort of like monkey see; monkey do)?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
I know this is an old post. But reading Claude Gordan's description of the lips contracting toward the mouthpiece in sort of a pucker, does the Lynn Nicholson method of unfurling the lips come into play here?

When I first heard Lynn describing "unfurling the lips" I thought to myself, "That's another way of describing what Claude described." In my opinion what Claude described and what Nick describes are one and the same.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype / Zoom Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. Now I know I'm on the right track!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: