• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Definition of "Firm Corners"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think "firm corners" meant keeping the corners of your mouth firm while playing. Recently I heard someone say that "firm corners" means keeping the lips just outside the mouthpiece firm. When someone says "lock down your corners", are they talking about the corner of your mouth or the lip tissue surrounding the mouthpiece? Thanks
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lip area just outside the mouthpiece. I used to think that (for lack of any other info) people meant the actual corners of my mouth, but I think if you try to lock those down you end up with more of a "smile" embouchure (Bad! Bad! Don't do that!) and that you aren't controlling the lip in/around the mpc where the real work is done. Hold a pencil between your lips ( not teeth) and feel what you have to do to move it or simply maintain it in one position; the muscles that "burn" are the ones right around where you need 'em.

IMHO, as always - Don

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2002-01-21 15:13 ]
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like to think of the corners starting from an imaginary line coming straight down from the outside of the nose.
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a real revelation for me. Thanks.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

If you're learning to play the trumpet, you better stop thinking about things like the corners or you're going to work yourself into a real "lock down."

Regards,

CR
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently told my a great instructor that the "corners" are the corners just INSIDE the rim. That makes more sense to me than the mouth corners or the corners outside the mp. Tightening mouth corners don't do anything but cause face stress and you really can't do much with the corners outside the mouthpiece. Sure worked for me. Was an "ahaaa moment".

David
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion regarding the nebulousness of terminology which is ubiquitous in our art demonstrates a great need for consistent terminology which can be universally understood by all. I would wager that 9 out of 10 trumpet teachers at the high school level or below would take "tight corners" to mean exactly what it says: the corners of the mouth. Why would anyone think otherwise? I personally would no longer venture a guess as to exactly what the originator of these terms meant when he "coined" them. Jim
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I read David's post and thought -- Of course! Where else would anyone mean? Who cares about the lip just outside the mpc when clearly all the action's on the inside? Really shouldn't we be thinking about the sound, not the chops, anyway? But, I suppose, just getting your mind on the lip area around the mpc is better than all the way out to the corners of your mouth. Inside, isn't that what I said?

Then I read my post (above) again. Oops. Inside, outside, who can keep track anymore? I decided to not edit it and leave it as a reminder.

Mental Note (1): Always doublecheck wording.

Mental Note (2): Don't even think 'bout gettin' in a verbal sparring match with Jim!

Sloppily onwards - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: