• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Water accumulates in 1st valve slide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kallen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Water accumulates in 1st valve slide Reply with quote

Con anyone help diagnose the problem I'm having with my Yamaha 8335G trumpet? I'm getting a buildup of condensation in the 1st valve slide, so that the only way to empty water is to pull that slide out. I'm getting little or no water out of the water key in the main tuning slide, and very little out of the water key in the 3rd valve slide. Any ideas? Thanks for your help on this.
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is odd. Most people are downstream players which means the water should naturally drain.

Edit: downstream meaning the bell is lower than the mouthpiece.

I wonder if your first valve is returning too far creating a “dam” for the water. If so you should be able to see it if you remove the slide, shine a light down the tube and see if it is aligned.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? I mean, really? Do you have the bell pointed up? Show us a photo of you playing.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this because I have a trumpet that collects in the second valve. Someone said the cause can be hard to find out (could be design, a blob of solder, etc). I do find that compressing valves while blowing for the main slide helps and not-overblowing while emptying helps. I also have just accepted that sometimes I have to pop the slide.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also happen because of the way the 1st valve slide port aligns with the port going from the 1st valve casing to the 2nd casing. Or maybe from the 1st valve casing into the bell.
Some tubing 'wraps' allow better downhill flow.

You might have to learn the French horn 'twist maneuver' (or pull the slide) to get the water flowing.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
deanoaks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason this is happening is because spit/condensation is building up in the tuning slide, then being blown into the valve casing and ultimately settling in your first valve slide.
This could be due to the angle that you are pointing the bell when you try to empty the water, the water key being clogged up, or you are blowing far too hard when trying to empty your water.
Check to see if the water key is clogged first and if that doesn't work, perhaps reevaluate the horn angle and velocity of air you use when emptying your water.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
That is odd. Most people are downstream players which means the water should naturally drain.

Edit: downstream meaning the bell is lower than the mouthpiece.

I wonder if your first valve is returning too far creating a “dam” for the water. If so you should be able to see it if you remove the slide, shine a light down the tube and see if it is aligned.

Just as an aside, just because someone's horn points at a downward angle, it doesn't automatically mean that they're a downstream player, e.g., the type IVA. By the same token, just because someone's horn angle might go straight out, it doesn't mean that they're not a downstreamer, as in the type I.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your horn stored first valve side down? Like in a torpedo bag or double case
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a water pic on each water key to make sure they are fully clear.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the mouthpiece, push the 1st valve down, blow like crazy through the leadpipe, tip the bell up and rotate so the water comes out the bell (just like a French horn player would do.)
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every horn I had does that.
It’s because of the angle you hold your horn when playing.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
kallen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. I have checked that the water keys are not clogged. I do play the horn at a slight down angle, maybe close to level, but never tilted upward from horizontal. It's also not a matter of how I blow when I open the main water key There's just no water in the main slide.

I notice that the tube connecting the 2nd to the 1st valve is a bit higher than where the bell pipe comes out of the 1st valve. So any water that gets past the 1st valve probably gets trapped there, and then gets blown into the 1st slide when that valve is depressed.

One possibility is that the bell might be staying cooler than the leadpipe, so maybe more condensation happens there. It's a gold brass bell.

Or maybe it's just time to clean out the horn. Crud anywhere in the tubing may be trapping water and causing it to blow toward the bell rather than allowing it to flow backward.

For a while I did have a similar problem with the lightweight 8310Z, but it mostly cleared up after I washed out the horn.

Probably a combination of factors. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen to the Benge I used to own. In my case, it was that the main water key was clogged with paraffin from the valve oil I'd been using. Once I cleaned the port (and the entire horn), the build up returned to its normal place in the tuning slide and 3rd valve slide.

The second factor, that may have determined the 1st valve as the accumulation point, was a grossly misaligned 2nd valve piston. My particular instrument had a short valve stem, which didn't allow the piston to depress enough to align the ports. Perhaps this produced enough turbulence to capture the moisture out of my breath and collect it in the first valve tubing.

Speculation.

Anyway, a regularly cleaned horn is the place to start.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Water Reply with quote

How often do give your trumpet a bath with Dawn dish washing liquid? Also are you using alcohol to clean out the trumpet? Are you using a synthetic valve oil and a slide grease? Have you switched valve oil lately? Many of the valve oils are not compatible.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
kallen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
How often do give your trumpet a bath with Dawn dish washing liquid? Also are you using alcohol to clean out the trumpet? Are you using a synthetic valve oil and a slide grease? Have you switched valve oil lately? Many of the valve oils are not compatible.

It's probably due for a dish-soap washing. I do pretty regularly back-flush the horns by holding them bell upward and running warm water into the bell and through all 3 valves. No alcohol except what I might occasionally blow into the horn on a gig.

I'm actually pretty fastidious about what I blow into the horn. There's a toothbrush and toothpaste in my bag for whenever a gig might offer food.

I use only synthetic valve oils and slide lubes, Ultra Pure products on some horns and Yamaha products on others. I don't mix the brands. Will probably switch to all Ultra Pure when the other runs out.

Definitely getting less goo buildup with the synthetic products.
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
kallen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Reply with quote

kallen wrote:
jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:

It's probably due for a dish-soap washing. I do pretty regularly back-flush the horns by holding them bell upward and running warm water into the bell and through all 3 valves.

I tried back-flushing the horn again in this way, and the problem seems to have cleared up for now.
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: