• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Custom Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UNTJazzPlayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried any of the horns from the Getzen Custom series? I am really interested in trying a 3051 Bb. Anyone know where I might be able to try one?

-Nick

Bach Strad. 180S ML 37/Bob Reeves 43M692
Blessing 154RT Flugelhorn/Bob Reeves 43FE
drdoct
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find Dan Oxley on the road or at home in Nashville I'm sure he'll let you blow a little on his. Of course he'll probably wanna try out whatever you're playing too. He's really a great guy and an awesome performer. His website should give his whereabouts or send him an email.
Trmpt_Plyr_06

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,
i have a 3050 Custom Series Bb, and it's the best horn i've ever played. I've been playing for 10 years, and it's better than my bach. I'm in High School and i worked a summer job to buy this horn, and i'm glad i did. The tone is wonderful and it comes with many options. Hope this helps.
da_roadrunner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Getzen 3050s. It's a pretty good horn. I moved to it when I was a sophomore in high school from an old conn director. The difference was night and day. The Getzen is better then my '63 connstellation. It's better than all of the bach strad's i've played. I also have an Eterna C and they are very similar in the way they play. But the Eterna has more of a "jazz" feel to it. If I were to need a horn for jazz I would probably go with an eterna 900. But the Getzen 3050 is great for all around playing. I use it for orchestra/band/big band/combos. I've never tried the 3051 however, so I don't know how that would play comparatively. (interestingly, the valves on my eterna move faster than the valves on my custom).
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out an tried about 25 horns - and ended up with a used Getzen Custom that a shop had on consignment - for me it outplayed everything I tried from Bach & Yamaha - the only horn that came close was a Conn V1.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried numerous Bachs, V1's, Xenos and on and on and none of them are any better for my type of work (in most areas) than my original Doc Getzen...at a fraction of the cost. I think it is a good horn for alot more than Jazz work.

I tried the custom Getzens and they held there own (comparable to the point where it becomes personal taste to favor one over the other) with these horns..but felt they were a bit pricey(well over $1,000). I was a bit dissapointed cause I was hoping that the Getzen would blew away these horns.

I might consider a used one for $750 if it was in good playing(not necesarily cosmetic) shape..but then there are so many other options at that point.

[ This Message was edited by: jgadvert on 2003-12-17 13:10 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: