• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Will everyone please tell me which cd/album(for us older guy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the best for each of the top jazz trumpet artist (past and present) Miles, Baker, Dizzy, Ferguson etc etc etc.

I'm plan on going on a major CD shopping spree this weekend and would like some guidance from those in the know.

Thanks in advance as always for the great feed back.

Schilke S22
1977 LA Benge
4Him
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Miles, you gotta have the classics like Kind of Blue, but my favorite (and one I don't usually hear people talk much about) is "Ballads" on Columbia. If I were on an island, and could only have one CD......... the "Ballads" CD would get some serious consideration.

Ken
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For later Chet Baker go with "Live in Tokyo" if you can find it. Great playing. Early Chet the compilation "Best of Chet Baker Plays" I think it is titled.

My Favorite Maynard, "Live at Jimmy's" is still not out on disc. Try anything from the 50's or 60's. Of course "MF Horn 2" with Give it One, Country Road, Shaft, Hey Jude and others is very popular.

I would also recomend some Clifford Brown. Maybe something with Max Roach or one of my fav's- "Sonny Rollins Plus 4" Clifford kills on that!

happy hunting!
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to pick just one album obviously, and you might be better off getting two or three from a smaller number of artists, rather than buying just one from everybody.

For Maynard, of the CDs that are currently in print, I think Birdland Dreamband (vols 1 and 2, just re-released) and Chameleon are the ones to have.

Trying to reduce Miles to just one CD really is impossible, but the must-have that always comes up is Kind of Blue. But he had several different great bands and different periods of his career that should be represented. The 4-album set of Steamin, Cookin, Workin, and Relaxin all rank very highly on any best-of list, as well as his great albums with Gil Evans (of which Miles Ahead is my favorite). Miles Smiles, Highlights from the Plugged Nickel, and Milestones all deserve serious consideration as well. And as anyone will tell you, that's just the beginning. Hell, I feel guilty just mentioning those nine or so, and I have no doubt that I've omitted several must-haves.

Pretty much everything Clifford Brown recorded is great, but of the 20 or so albums you can find, I'd recommend "Clifford Brown and Max Roach" (the one that starts with Delilah), "Clifford Brown and Max Roach at Basin Street", and my favorite ballad album, "Clifford Brown with Strings." Hard to imagine going through life without all three of those albums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: