• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

PRANA mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to Rayburn in Boston to get some work done on my Smith-Watkins and get a new leadpipe and just out of curiosity, I tried out some Monette pieces. I tried out both C & Bb 'pieces. I stayed in the B1 and C1 series and tried a B2D (no good). I found the regular Monette pieces to be more responsive on my "conventional" trumpet. I talked to Lee Walkowich, a good friend, and he said that Dave M. gave him a PRANA piece which he helped Dave design and he isn't convinced that they work on anything BUT Monette trumpets. Lee also told me that the Boss himself doesn't like the PRANA as much as the regular pieces. Direct quote when Dave asked the Boss how he liked it, "Well...it's nice". The biggest PRANA they had was a C1-5M and it just didn't do it for me. My middle range sounded great but my higher range suffered greatly. When I tried it on the B-951 Monette Bb that they had (B2D) it really did sing. So maybe this thing is a hoax? I know this thing is gonna create some fire, but people, let's get some opinions flowing on this new beast - those of you who have bought into it, what are your thoughts? Does it work on a conventional horn?
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is the "boss"? Is that Mr. David G Monette? And what is this about Lee designing PRANA mouthpieces? I wouldn't take my Indian made pocket trumpet to get fixed at that place. I hope they didn't scew your trumpet up.

In Peace,

TM

Quote:

On 2003-05-10 09:30, smithwatkinsguy wrote:
Yesterday I went to Rayburn in Boston to get some work done on my Smith-Watkins and get a new leadpipe and just out of curiosity, I tried out some Monette pieces. I tried out both C & Bb 'pieces. I stayed in the B1 and C1 series and tried a B2D (no good). I found the regular Monette pieces to be more responsive on my "conventional" trumpet. I talked to Lee Walkowich, a good friend, and he said that Dave M. gave him a PRANA piece which he helped Dave design and he isn't convinced that they work on anything BUT Monette trumpets. Lee also told me that the Boss himself doesn't like the PRANA as much as the regular pieces. Direct quote when Dave asked the Boss how he liked it, "Well...it's nice". The biggest PRANA they had was a C1-5M and it just didn't do it for me. My middle range sounded great but my higher range suffered greatly. When I tried it on the B-951 Monette Bb that they had (B2D) it really did sing. So maybe this thing is a hoax? I know this thing is gonna create some fire, but people, let's get some opinions flowing on this new beast - those of you who have bought into it, what are your thoughts? Does it work on a conventional horn?
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Boss" is of course, none other than Maynard Ferguson
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-10 13:48, bachstrad72 wrote:
"The Boss" is of course, none other than Maynard Ferguson

I'm so pleased that you didn't say Springteen.
Larry Smithee
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt-master,
That was quite a strong statement, if you knew anything then you would know that Rayburn is one of the most respected music stores across the east coast. The Boss, of course, is Maynard Ferguson. And no, they didn't mess my trumpet up, actually it plays better than it ever did, thank you! Are you a Monette loyalist or just the average idiot who goes out to bash other people's topics? Now, I must say, Monette is a good make of trumpet equipment, but it's strictly preference and his new mouthpieces are made solely for the use on his instruments, so is what I understand, or that's how they work best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron,
I'm on nobody's side but I thought I would let you know that ole' Trumpet-Master actually used to own a few monettes until an ugly divorce settlement.
MikeZ

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the Prana, but my understanding is that Dave Monette presented Maynard with a brand new one last weekend at MF's 75th Birthday Party.

Holton also presented The Boss with a new gold plated MF horn.

Maynard used both new items that night when he and his Nouveau Big Bop band came out to play an encore after the alumni band finished a scorching set of classic MF charts.

So, I don't know if Dave customizes MF's Prana or what, but MF doesn't seem to have any problem using it with his Holton trumpet. So much for Prana's only being designed to be played with Monette horns?

Read all about it here:

http://maynard.ferguson.net/boston.htm

Tama Starclassic Maples
http://64.38.116.230/drums/index.htm

[ This Message was edited by: MikeZ on 2003-05-10 20:51 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithwatkins,

You are a damn fool. I was visiting Rayburns music in Boston before you were born. Respected my a$$. Are you sure you aren't talking about respected in Saxophones? Emilio the Sax DR? Maybe you are on the wrong site. Those guys will try and rip you off faster than you can say smith watkins. If you think their repair work is good you have a long long way to go. But you are in high school and you play a Smith Watkins trumpet. To be honest that leaves me with more questions than answers. Next time you want to get your trumpet fixed you had might as well have your moms plumber stop by.

In Peace

TM

Quote:

On 2003-05-10 17:34, smithwatkinsguy wrote:
trpt-master,
That was quite a strong statement, if you knew anything then you would know that Rayburn is one of the most respected music stores across the east coast. The Boss, of course, is Maynard Ferguson. And no, they didn't mess my trumpet up, actually it plays better than it ever did, thank you! Are you a Monette loyalist or just the average idiot who goes out to bash other people's topics? Now, I must say, Monette is a good make of trumpet equipment, but it's strictly preference and his new mouthpieces are made solely for the use on his instruments, so is what I understand, or that's how they work best.
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and play an (LT) BL-2J and love it. It is NOT the Prana version; however, I am looking forward to at least trying a Prana soon. Maynards lead player Patrick Hession plays a Prana as well as Maynard and recently told me that Dave is making him another one. Dave is making Alan Wise one based on his Laskey piece also (per an email from Alan). I love the lightweight Monette piece I am playing on my "conventional" Schilke B-1 and will certainly give an honest review as soon as I can play one.

Interesting though ... as I have yet to read anything on here from someone who owns one and is happy enough to post here for the rest of us.
preacherman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

I am sure the other non-maynard "Boss" ist happy, too, that nobody said springteen. What is Springteen? Some young people between March and May?
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-11 09:45, preacherman wrote:
Larry,

I am sure the other non-maynard "Boss" ist happy, too, that nobody said springteen. What is Springteen?

Ha!!! Yeah, I mean duh!!! I meant to say Springsteen.
Larry Smithee
trptczar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a smith watkins trumpet? Does it also have a constant pitch center when used with a monette mouthpiece? I am very curious about this.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going to Rayburns since 1968; my first Bach strad, my next 2 Benges and my come-back Yamaha all bought at Rayburns (first two horns from Emilio himself before there was a seperate brass department)...the repair record at Rayburns depends on the tech that is working there at the time. Two years ago I was lucky: they were inbetween techs but had a contractor take on work outside his regular load (mostly reconditioning town school system instruments). He did a good and surprisingly economic repair on my 77 Benge that resurected the instrument. Three weeks ago I took the T there (the only way to go if you don't want to waste time finding parking) to get the corks changed on my new 1960 Olds Studio cornet, and was out of luck: they were inbetween repair techs again, but "one was being trained at the warehouse" (sounds highly experienced...) and would be available soon. So I had the job done at Osman last weekend as I waited. They also opened a Laskey 68MD to a 26 throat (which works great). To the tune of "Alices' Resturaunt": you can get everything you want at Osman Music store. Jim Becker and his ernest staff have been, and will continue to be, there.
If you want to BUY a Smith-Watkins or a Scodwell or try from a dozen different Bach strad models, Rayburns is still the place to go. I'll be going there to get a Kanstul flugal bottom for that Olds Studio cornet because they carry them (but then go to Osman to find the right top...they have most of the Kanstul trumpet tops, and they'll be able to open it a bit for that cornet on the spot)
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptczar,
Actually, Monette mouthpieces are supposed to have "constant pitch center" with any trumpet. Go figure. Smith-Watkins is just convenient because it has a variety of sounds that you can put to it because of the interchangeable leadpipes. Of course you can only do so much by changing the leadpipe, but it's quite helpful! go to http://www.smithwatkins.com if you wanna find out more.
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your high register suffered with the Prana then you are most likely trying too hard. It's tough to switch between a Prana and a regular Monette mouthpiece because the Prana requires much less effort to play. What works on one will not work on the other and they are less forgiving on a "conventional" horn than on a Monette trumpet. The irony of the Prana and some of Dave's more advanced equipment in general is that while they are easier to play with less effort required, if you persist in putting in too much effort and playing with a tight approach they play very poorly or not at all.

I switched from a regular B1-5M to a Prana B1-5M and my execution and sound is improved dramatically in every respect on my Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS.

Rich
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Rich...I have played on Monette pieces before and couldn't tongue too well on them to be quite honest. Also, I don't think that $315 for a mouthpiece is justified in any way if you can't get a great sound in all registers. I'm not saying that it's not a good mouthpiece to play on because I really did feel my trumpet sing a little bit more in the mid and low registers but my high register didn't sing like the upper register did. It could also be the fact that I couldn't find a size that was compatible to my Stork 1. Thanks for the info, though, Rich.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay PRANA owners...

I have a Prana B6 and I find so many things attractive about it. The range is amazing, and sound far richer than other Monette pieces I've tried. The problem I'm having on this piece is I am inconsistent in terms of tonguing on it.

Rich J and others:

Do you have any similar experiences when you switched to the Pranas? Feel free to send me a private message to avoid the anti-Monette flames. It's pretty amazing, it feels like a totally different piece than my standard B6.

Thanks in advance.

Trent
http://www.trentaustin.com
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron,

Which Smith-Watkins model do you play on? I have a R464 on trial right now. It has the #25 bell. I also have about 10 leadpipes to try withit.
Jim
_Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not claim to know David Monette or Maynard Fergusson (unlike some who clearly do not) however, I have read that MF is more than pleased with the new PRANA mouthpieces.

SmithWatkinsGuy, you said that you had some problems with tonguing. I'm no expert on mouthpiece design, but I'm sure all of the tonguing technique occurs within the mouth. Similarly, all of the mouthpiece is outside the lips. Hence any tonguing problems are logically your own technique rather than the mouthpiece. Perhaps you are subconciously unwilling to change mouthpieces. If you like what you are using, why change?

on a different subject, someone mentioned that the boss was using a Holten horn? Correct me if my info is out of date but I thought Mr. Fergusson only played Schilke horns. Feel free to update me.

-The Simpsons
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clarino!

I know MF has been playing the Holton Signature MF horn since the 70's (the model has changed a bunch in that time but still carries Maynard's initials) I think.

http://www.gleblanc.com/newinstruments/trumpet/hquery.cfm?model=ST307

Regards,

Trent
http://www.trentaustin.com
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: