• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Players Reputation: Egotistical?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I have only been playing my horn for 4 years and I havn't been really at a respectable level of playing until this last year. I am sure that no matter where you are, the different instrument sections have different "set" reputations just because of what they are...such as Tuba players either being on one extreme...really quiet and orderly...or on the other...really loud and obnoxius. The trumpet section, as I'm sure many of you know, is known for having an egotistical side. I'm mean sure, maybe we are a bit egotistical, but who can blame us? We are so much better than the other sections:).

But seriously, many trumpet players say that the ego helps you be more agressive as a horn player and helps your to help others more easily. Is this really an ego or just an out-going nature or just maybe a nature leading skill found in trumpet players coincidentally? What do you think about the big "trumpet players have egos" rumors?

Remember...the angels play trumpets.:smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Warbird on 2002-01-27 20:40 ]
Ronnie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ego, never.

Confidence in your own ability - Definitely

and

Security in your level of performance to fit in when you need to fit in and stand out when appropriate - ALWAYS.

[ This Message was edited by: Ronnie on 2002-01-24 17:45 ]
j_rowe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMMM...
As a Trumpet player AND Trombonist, playing both instruments really, equal amounts of time (in a group setting), I would say, sitting in a Trumpet section is much different than a bone section. Out of the trumpets you'll hear ramblings of how high they can play, and how many minutes they can play whilst circular breathing, and how much they payed for their trumpet that was custom ordered, with heavy bottom valve caps, a triple tapered reversed leadpipe with lazer lapped mouthpiece reciever, that is also heavy weight, and 4 different radiused tuning slides, to each change the sound and feel by .0000001%, and THEN they will tell you how they had to try 7,549 of that very same model with the very same options to find "THE ONE"...the other 7,548 were total pieces of $15,000 junk!

The trombone section on the other hand, will have guys talking about how much they drank last night, who they were with, what they were doing, what they had for supper, ect.,ect., if you ask one about their horn, in a big band, they may say, OH that's a 1935 King 2-B, I found that baby in a pawnshop down in Macon for $75, can you beilive it! If it is an orchestral setting, you don't need to ask, because it will be a Bach, Shires, Edwards or Conn with a large bore and 8.5 bell....that's it! If you ask they will look at you funny...LOL

Mouthpieces are different too. I think it is generally accepted in the trumpet world that you can change mouthpieces, and give advice on mouthpieces...go to the Online Trombone Forum and ask a mouthpiece related question--they will tell you that it is like a shoe, and nobody can recommend for anyone else, and to go try some! Of course trombonist don't have to worry about Bb, C, D, Eb, F, Picc G, Picc A, Picc Bb, and Picc C, ALONG with A, Bb, C, Eb, and Picc cornets, Rotary or Piston, and Flugels...much simpler, Peashooter for Jazz, Hand cannon for Symphony, and sometimes an Alto, and a Bass if you are a Bass bonist (most bass bonist don't play tenor or alto at all and that is the only instrument they need.)

I hope everyone here takes these comments in the jest that they were intended...I spend a lot of time in both sections, I play both Lead Bone and Lead Trumpet in 2 seperate Big Bands, I play 2nd Trumpet in another big band, I play Trumpet and Trombone both in Combo Jazz settings, I play 1st Trombone 1st Trumpet in two seperate concert bands and Cornet in a Brass choir of sorts and 2nd Trombone in the local symphony The Florence Symphony...

peace my friends...
jay

[ This Message was edited by: j_rowe on 2002-01-24 19:13 ]
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha all too true man. I play bass bone as well as trumpet, and man the sections are totally different. In a big band the trumpets all talkin about abiliteis and how high they can play, and how many times they can hit the double C in a row, and they bone sections that in know always talkin about jazz trombone recordings. So its diferent and all that.

DRES
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, Ronnie said it already!

Ego, no; Confidence, yes.

David
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ego. Confidence. Call it what you want. You still gotta have it. Trumpet is far too difficult an instrument to play around with. Either you believe in yourself or it'll show. By the way, I'm better than all you guys out there!

JC!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:37 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do lead trumpet players use for birth control?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their personalities.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a difference between being self-confident/secure and egotisitcal. The secure person is the one who goes into a gig, shuts up, doesn't try to take over, does his job, picks up the check and leaves without 1) causing a scene or 2) or getting a new one ripped by the conductor. The egotistical jerk is the one that goes in and screams double C's for the whole rehearsal and stinks up the whole gig, makes smart alec comments to the other players or worse, the conductor. Who would you want at your gig? Who will get the repeat calls?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nature of the instrument that you choose to play, as a youth, will shape your personality as you grow older, in my observation. Trumpeters develop trumpet-like personalities. Can't help it. It's the nature of the horn. The challenge is to overcome the arrogance of playing the ultimate musical instrument, the trumpet, and let the horn do the talking. It's funny, the very best trumpeters in the world, in whatever musical field, are the nicest people you could ever meet, and still humble students of the instrument. In my limited experience. T.
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 7th grade people always told me that I was good but I knew i sucked. But anyways people would always come up to me and tell me i was good and i would always laugh and say no not that good. I guess people got tired of the excuse they just wanted to hear me say that I was good. But i never did.

Then the time went by and i got first chair at all county band featured at a school concert ( which made me the most popular well pretty popular guy in school. I was voted most talented) after that i was asked to put a trumpet section that could play echo taps then in 8th grade i did the first county orchestras, got asked to be the vfw's bugler ect ect. So I still after all that i never bragged. Then one day i was warming up and do all these scales and stuff and this girl comes up to and says just say youre good you dont have to rub it in our faces by showing off. I was like what are you talking about im just warming up. well the girl got mad and just left the band room.

Then i saw this message board and i read all about the reputation that trumpeter's have with their ego. so i decided to go with it. If someone ask's me if im good i tell them im the best in my age group. I don't do a good job at bragging cause i still know I suck but if people want to here me say that I'm good i will say it. I dont like saying it cause i suck. But if i say i suck they get mad because then i go out and play a hard song that proves that i dont suck and they get mad. I went threw a time where i bragged allot and go a little more cocky then one day I heard this kid play trumpet at church and i was like ok i suck he is awsome. I totally changed once i started to play at church the people liked the fact that i didnt brag and still did a good job for God.

So know I don't say i suck I just say i need more work and i let them here to good trumpet playing like arturo sandoval and let them compare him to me. and that makes them like me. I still ocassionally get out of control trying to take something out of control but when it comes to playing infront of other trumpeters i never show off or anything. Unless its with a friend and we are playing around. I respect them all and i dont think im better then anyone. For me this is the reason i practice hard. I always remind my self that I'm not good enough and practice harder and harder and set a harder and tougher and keep trying and trying and trying. and it keep going. actions speack louder than words.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need a full blown ego, but I do think you need a certail amount of "self assurance" to play lead parts. As far a showing up other musicians, that is a complete NO NO. It should never be done. Never step on someone elses toes. We are all in this together, our selves, our fellow musicians, and most importantly our listeners.

But yeah !! We are a COOL !! section.

Philip S.
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second now...who just mentioned "...or bragging about how many times they can hit a double C"? Thats not too impressive to hit the double C.
j_rowe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-27 13:11, Warbird wrote:
Wait a second now...who just mentioned "...or bragging about how many times they can hit a double C"? Thats not too impressive to hit the double C.

Actually it IS, if you can HIT a double C rather than squeak out a double C...there is a difference. There are LOTS and LOTS of people that can squeak a double C, but a much smaller few that can really HIT a double C. If everybody on this fourm that SAID they could really HIT a double C, could actually do it, people like MF, Chase, Sandoval, Cat, ect., ect., would lose all their appeal. When was the last time you got excited about hearing a player hit a Middle G? Never? That's becasue we can ALL play it, and play it WELL, so there is no novelty in hearing somebody else do it.

peace - jay
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I started playing trumpet I was conceited. But now I'm PERFECT!

"90% of trumpet music is below high C"

[ This Message was edited by: SHS_Trumpet on 2002-01-27 19:19 ]
Chicagoman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Pack,
I think too many times us artists get the words "confidence" and "ego"
mixed up with "shallow" and "arrogant". I know TOO many mediocre players who put up a false front in their personality in an attempt to amplify their playing ability. I've been in a TON of sections where nobody talks to each other, and the "warm-up" before rehearsal is like an Ostrich dominance "feather-plucking" display. Its quite un-professional and annoying. Luckily for me, I'm in a place that teaches mutual understanding and a general perspective on the "reality" of our significance in this world.

Look, feel good about what you do and don't get discouraged, and realize that what we do is just music. Its not like we are the FDNY. Just have fun and shun those who TRY to intimidate and ACT like they are great.

Take care,

Chicagoman
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicagoman...yeah thats what I was thinking. My trumpet teacher, John Carmicheal, says that too. He says that it helps us play out and play our part well and with confidence. Now, to the person who mentioned the whole "sqeaking out the double C"...um...I hate to tell you this, but the requirement for the lowest band that Concord High School offers is to play a double C with good sound to even consider being in any of the bands other than Concert band...the lowest of three levels.
1935 H. N. White Co. Cornet - Denis Wick 4B
Warbird
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, and one more thing about the Double C comment...yes it is good listening to another person play a G and you can get excited. The only reason that YOU may not get excited or that anyone else wouldn't is because you have the "trumpet mentality" that I am talking about where you sit here and think, 'I could do better.' In order to be a MUSICIAN and not a trumpet player, you must listen to the music...not the note. The note is nothing. It is what comes before and after it and what feeling the note is suppose to express. This is why so many trumpets have a reputation of being egotistical. Because people think, 'I could do that and maybe better.'

Law of Trumpet Soloists
---------------------------
No matter how good a single trumpet player does, atleast 3 other trumpet players will come back after the performance and say they could have done it better.

In Chirst,
Joseph N. Pack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: