• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Indianapolis Symphony 3rd Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I accidentally posted this in Fundamentals before. Lets try it again:

Anyone know if there is going to be a 3rd trumpet audition for the Indianapolis Symphony? Last I heard (which was almost a year ago - I'm out of the loop) they were waiting to hire a new music director. They hired a new director last spring, and still no audition. Is there ever going to be one?
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PookDog
I'm probably more out of the loop than you are, as I'm pretty far removed from the Indy music scene most recently, but I'll take a stab at it. They hired Venzago as Music Director last April, and I believe, as the website shows, Daniel Gosling is third trumpet. It appends "2002-2003 season" to his name, so I take that to mean he's up for review and then possibly they'll fill the spot.

This very well might be stuff you already knew. Also, take this for what it's worth...I'm often wrong.
Hope this helps,
John

Edit: P.S. To further confuse things, indyorch.org doesn't list any auditions for trumpets.

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-05-15 15:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-05-15 17:19 ]
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From their website:

INDIANAPOLIS SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
There are no open positions or scheduled auditions at this time.
No BS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob White will know the scoop on this situation. Bob you out there???
weekendwarrior
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be advertised in the International Musician when it opens up - I heard ruumors of this fall, though.

WW
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject that goes beyond what it says on the ISO website?
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pook what the heck kind of info are you looking for. I think people have made things very clear. It sounds like there is a new music director. The position is not open/advertised at this time. It sounds like rumor has it there might be an audition in the fall. It will be posted in the Interantional Musician when the audition comes up. What more do you need to know at this time?

In Peace,

TM

Quote:

On 2003-05-15 22:29, PookDog78 wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject that goes beyond what it says on the ISO website?
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-15 22:55, trpt-master wrote:

Pook what the heck kind of info are you looking for. I think people have made things very clear. It sounds like there is a new music director. The position is not open/advertised at this time. It sounds like rumor has it there might be an audition in the fall. It will be posted in the Interantional Musician when the audition comes up. What more do you need to know at this time?

In Peace,

TM

Quote:

On 2003-05-15 22:29, PookDog78 wrote:

TM,
I think he made it pretty clear what info he wants. He wants MORE! It sounds like you think that anything that is ever to be known about this subject is out in the open, when obviously, it isn't. Especially since Bob White, who apparently would know more, hasn't even responded, and, the people who already responded (including me) have made it pretty clear that we're in the dark about this too. We on TH are hardly the final arbiters of all that goes on in the music world. He's obviously interested, so why discourage the question? There's certainly a lot more to be known about this. If you don't care to know more, then avoid the post. I think you jumped on his back unncecessarily.
John

[ This Message was edited by: elbobogrande on 2003-05-15 23:41 ]
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, folks. I don't check this baby every day, so pardon my delay in posting.

Anyway, Dan Gosling has been the de facto Third Trumpet for the ISO for two seasons now. He is principal of the Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra, and was the "first call" sub for a long time before being offered these yearly contracts after the retirement of Paul Hilgeman. He's a first-class player, and does a great job.

The ISO has indeed hired a music director, and will have an audition in the future for Third (according to the union minutes, they've entitled the position "Assistant Principal/Utility Trumpet"). Of course, all auditions will be posted in the IM, on the AF of M website, and on the ISO's website.

Now the speculative part: There are currently several other positions in the symphony that need to be auditioned; among them - 2 bassoon spots, 2nd clarinet, and some string openings. The new music director really gets his post underway this fall, as he had limited availability for this past season and was only in town a few times. They should be able to get a lot of the spots filled this coming season. However, because the situation is good right now with the trumpet section, I have a feeling that audition is not at the top of the priority list. That's just to say that the rumors of the Trumpet audition happening this fall may or may not prove to be true. No one in the orchestra seems to know for sure, either!

Anyhow, keep your eyes peeled. The ISO is a very, very fine group with a base salary of around $70K. This would be an awesome job for the right player.

Bob
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!! I didn't mean to upset anyone! I just wanted to see if anyone, especially someone who lives in or near Indianapolis (as I did up until last summer) might have some inside information. Thats all. Sorry if I offended anyone. I guess I need to learn some manners. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Liz
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
I should have used more gender-neutral pronouns in my above posts.
My apologies,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: