• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I Love Playing the Trumpet!!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jkobb13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: I Love Playing the Trumpet!!!! Reply with quote

I just thought there should be a topic reserved for people to talk about how much fun playing trumpet is. Anybody want to talk about the ups and downs, accomplishments and failures of playing music??? I do!
Babb9520
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher... Jim Thompson, will often tell me that he finds enjoyment not necessarily in the accomplishment, but in the process; in teaching himself new things on the trumpet. And while there can be fine playing, it will always be a progression towards something new. If you think about it, how exciting would trumpet really be if you never had to work towards it? What if all you ever wanted was to win such and such competition? Would all the work really be worth the 5 minutes you stand up there with your prize?

Aside from that, I have loads of fun (and frustration) playing music. Any time I am frustrated though, I always feel that there is something in me that is not accepting myself as I am at that moment, rather I'm thinking about how I played the day before or how I am supposed to play the next day, or something totally unrelated!, etc. When I can find myself where I am, and work from there, being aware of the sounds I want to make, my breathing, tension: that is when my tone begins to open up.

Well, those are my thoughts for the day. Good luck to you!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very perceptive. Staying in the present is key. Too often band directors focus on "the band" or "the program" instead of the individual. Students who learn that the whole should be stronger than the sum of it's parts truly understand their role in the group as well as in their own development.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were teaching instrumental music ... and I could ... my perspective is this: If a student wanted to study to become a professional musician, I'd tell them to find another teacher. If the student wanted to learn sufficient to enjoy music the rest of their life, I'd say come sit beside me and lets play ... and that last word "play" has the double enuendo of "enjoyment".

Reality is a major factor, the diminishment of instrumentalists from the time they start to when they stop is enormous, and among those that keep with it, the chances of earning a decent living along with keeping a sustained family relationship are about as great odds as would be in winning the lottery. This is not to say one cannot earn money with their instrument as many do ... but there is seldom any security in doing so. It's always a hassle as to where the next gig will be and when ... and the rent/mortgage is due.

Certainly, I wouldn't say my choice of an alternative primary vocation was better ... as certainly it played havoc with my health ... but all along I've enjoyed making music if only for my family, friends, church, and select others and whether or not I received any money for such hasn't been a consideration ... most of the time.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is not about making a living playing the trumpet. It is about having fun playing the trumpet. Let's keep the darkness of the music "business" somewhere else.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we prepare for upcoming performances, recordings etc. it seems inevitable we lose sight of the foundation of our playing. It is always a kick for me to return to the wind and song, as Mr Jacobs would say, and find that it always fixes any problems in my playing. So easy we end up making it difficult.
t24285766

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played both instruments, cornet and trumpet. I started out on the trumpet and then later switched to cornet. The cornet has a very melodic sounds, while the trumpet has a more majestic sound. So, do l love playing the trumpet over the cornet. No, playing either of the instrument is fun.....and that is what is should be.....FUN.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good posture makes for good sounds.
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good posture makes for good sounds."
I proved this to one of my younger students just last night in his lesson. The change in his sound was dramatic once he sat up straight. Instilling good habits at a younger age helps to eliminate problems down the road.
Several years ago I had two students (5th grade) from the same school start lessons with me. Their sounds were very tight and pinched. I asked them if their band director had them buzzing the mouthpiece. She did. She also was not a brass player. Adam says a little buzzing is okay, but a lot of it can lead to unnecessary tension. I had them doing lots of leadpipe, and told them to just do the buzzing when their director tells them to in class. Over time their sounds opened up and their range increased; they weren't fighting the horn (we call it being in phase with the trumpet). As a result, they both enjoyed playing more.
As Pat stated in his key points in this forum, "we don't work music, we play music."

Barry
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I feel that I'm "playing" the trumpet. Other times the experience is more that I'm "singing" the trumpet.

Getting into the "singing" zone is bliss, and a far more moving experience for both my audience and me.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
This thread is not about making a living playing the trumpet. It is about having fun playing the trumpet. Let's keep the darkness of the music "business" somewhere else.

Very sorry you feel that way. However, it is only because I VERY MUCH ENJOY PLAYING TRUMPET / CORNET and the rest of my horns that has enriched my life and made it sustainable through adversity.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why the wind instrumentalists get such a buzz from their instruments. Every time I think I've found it, whoosh, it's a memory.

Still, there's something about getting this fool contraption to make me sound good, this tube with its eight combinations of fingerings.

All that magic wrapped up in a paperclip-looking thing with a mouthpiece, a bell and three detours. I suppose I could golf instead, but there's not much chance of doing so in harmony.
Jkobb13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More crazy trumpet fun........recording the same music on two separate dates, only a week apart. And having the second recording sound 400 times better than the first......all due to the power of listening to what the music is supposed to sound like. Wish I would've figured that out sooner.....
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man!!! It's almost as good as sex!!! And I can go all night! When I walk to the back of the bandstand and see this

my pulse quickens. I LOVE it. Sometimes I think I must be the luckiest guy in the world to get to do this!

Steve
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jkobb13 wrote:
More crazy trumpet fun........recording the same music on two separate dates, only a week apart. And having the second recording sound 400 times better than the first......all due to the power of listening to what the music is supposed to sound like. Wish I would've figured that out sooner.....

And now you know.

As Bill Adam says, "The reason this is so hard is because it is so simple."

Any time we have a problem it can always be traced to the most basic fundamental, hearing the sound. The re-discovery of one's self is another in the long list of the joys of playing the trumpet.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two players in the local area that come to mind. Both from different schools with differing approaches to playing the horn. They are simply incredible. Both are meticulous and precise in practice and they seem to have reduced playing the trumpet to the complexity of playing a kazoo. What they play seems to be a reflection of their imagination.

In my world ... I've great gear, have had the opportunity to study (for however briefly) with great teachers. I listen to excellent examples of trumpet players in many idioms. Playing the trumpet is the best use of my time I can imagine. Now if I can reduce it to breathing and blowing .... Back to practice.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babb9520 wrote:
If you think about it, how exciting would trumpet really be if you never had to work towards it?

Why, then we might as well play the saxomaphome!
612-849-3574
Jkobb13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a YAY to five people all playing trumpet in the same room for 2 1/2 hrs......!!!!!!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the hot chocolate and cookies!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing like getting to play good arrangements with good musicians backing up a good singer to a packed house on New Year's Eve.

AND getting paid for it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: