• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quick question, Kelly 5C + Kanstul MB6L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tibbs20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Quick question, Kelly 5C + Kanstul MB6L Reply with quote

I play a Kelly 5C for everything now, I love it. The rim is perfect contour, perfect size, and it blows free and easy and give nice sound etc etc.

I want to grab a mouthpiece with more zap in the sound to make it lighten up easier when I'm doing that kind of stuff. Ideally I'd just have the Kelly 5C but with a shallower cup but they don't do one

Has anyone played Kelly 5C and the Kanstul MB6L?

Do you think they'd be a good match?

Thanks
lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the Kanstul mouthpiece in question, but I believe that the Kelly 5C is their version of a Bach 5C, but with one size larger throat.

I would try the Curry mouthpieces in the 5 rim size. You may find the slight difference in sound between the lexan plastic of the Kelly 5C (in my limited experience with Kelly mouthpieces, the lexan plastic has slightly less higher overtones in the sound) and a silver-plated brass Curry 5C is enough. If it isn't, you have the option of keeping to the same rim as the Curry 5C but with a shallower cup, with the Curry medium-shallow cups, such as the 5ZM, 5DE or 5Star.

If you find a Curry mouthpiece that you like, you have the option of having the throat size enlarged by one size to match your Kelly 5C, at a later date, or ordering one that way as a special order after trying the standard model first, if you would like to match the throat size of your Kelly.

However, maybe the loose 27 throat of the Curry mouthpieces, as explained on the Curry website, is not that far away from that of the 26 throat of the Kelly, considering other differences between the two mouthpieces.

I hope that this helps.

Lou
Bach 184ML Cornet - Kanstul custom Bach 3C
Besson 927 Sovereign Cornet - Bach 5A
B&H Imperial Cornet - Bach 5A
Bach 183 Flugel - Bach 3CFL
tibbs20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Curry mouthpiece a while ago that I have since sold, I think it was a 5Z. I didn't like the rim, it was a little too curvy, although it's a 100% improvement on the VB 5C rim which is a cookie cutter. Also it felt a fraction bigger than my Kelly 5C (perhaps this was the shape of the rim or just my perception was different).

I like a fairly flat rim, with a bit of bite to the inside; using the good ol' Kanstul Mouthpiece Comparator, the MBL6 looks just the job.

I thought I should try asking here before I splash the cash. Should I just email Kanstul and ask?
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tibbs20 wrote:
I had a Curry mouthpiece a while ago that I have since sold, I think it was a 5Z. I didn't like the rim, it was a little too curvy, although it's a 100% improvement on the VB 5C rim which is a cookie cutter. Also it felt a fraction bigger than my Kelly 5C (perhaps this was the shape of the rim or just my perception was different).

I like a fairly flat rim, with a bit of bite to the inside; using the good ol' Kanstul Mouthpiece Comparator, the MBL6 looks just the job.

I thought I should try asking here before I splash the cash. Should I just email Kanstul and ask?

If the MBL6 is a Monette copy, they'll probably direct you to Monette's site (that's all the help they gave me when I called). Your mileage may vary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: