• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Trier High School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I Jazz 24 7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

I found a website for the jazz program of a High School. It's pretty impressive. The bands have played with some pretty big names. I was just wondering if there was anybody out there who went here or knew anything about it. The website is http://www.ntjazz.com they've got some mp3s on there so you can hear what they sound like.

Brad
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like a good faculty. I think Drozdoff is yet another former Maynard lead player.

ChopsMcgraw
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NT is one of the finest HS in the country. It's located in an affluent suburb of Chicago. I've taken lessons with Nick D. in his home. Great guy.
jdh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of friends that go to New Trier and they are a well respected, very wealthy school. At All-State, several of the top ranked jazzers were from New Trier. The flugelhorn soloist in the top big band was from there, but he is still recovering from blowing his lip out last year. But their trombone player, who was in the honors combo, man oh man, best brass high school improv I've ever heard live. Overall, not your average high school.
TrumpetEnthusiast1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended New Trier my freshman year and played in the freshman concert and jazz bands. What a program! Nothing but respect for Mr. Warrick(jazz) and Mr. Thomson(concert). Opportunity surrounds you. Anyone who is in a band can take their musicianship to a new level by signing up for one of the many courses offered by the music department. Check out midwestclinic.org to watch a video of their jazz band.
TrumpetEnthusiast1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Mr. Bruce Daugherty, who is the trumpet private instructor and assistant conductor there, is a GREAT teacher. Mr. Drozdoff is a physics teacher. I'm not sure if he is directly involved with the music department.
TommySpanos918

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good friends with Bruce's son, Sean. They're both great players. Bruce is a strict guy though, Sean is always grounded or something.

I'm from a neighboring school, Niles North High School, in the Symphonic Wind Ensemble(directed by Elton Eisele) and the Jazz Band(Directed by Lou Gotta). I'd link you guys to our website(I'm the webmaster), but it's not presentable right now. New Trier is one of our rival schools. Sean and I heard their Jazz Band perform at Midwest Band and Orchestra and we weren't impressed.

They are a good group, they had 3 amazing players(Fiddle, Trombone, Tenor Sax), but the rest were just average guys. We will be competing with them this year in our local Chicago Area competitions, and we're out to get them. Our Jazz Band is working hard.

They are an EXTREMELY wealthy school. Parking permits to park on their lot, are $1,000 per semester. They have 2 campuses, with a total of about 4,000 students. They have a state of the art auditorium, with robotic camera arms, a live broaddcasting center, and a recording studio. All of their musical performances are broadcasted live on the radio, internet, and television. One student even drives a $300,000 dollar Bentley to school once in a while.
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tommy. I just responde to a different post of yours.

If you guys have Sean you will own NT Jazz I this year. No one that's a senior now gives a **** about music.

Last year you would have gotten owned by Jake Wick constantly, though. Jazz I was amazing last year. Don't expect too much now though.
TommySpanos918

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-28 22:00, NTlead wrote:
Hey, Tommy. I just responde to a different post of yours.

If you guys have Sean you will own NT Jazz I this year. No one that's a senior now gives a **** about music.

Last year you would have gotten owned by Jake Wick constantly, though. Jazz I was amazing last year. Don't expect too much now though.

We're opening up for your spring Concert Band concert, March 19th, I believe. Hopefully we'll get to check you guys out at some competitions and stuff.

I figured that with all those seniors graduating last year, it's going to be tough. We lost alot of talent too. I still believe Sean was alot better than Jake Wick. Didn't Jake blow out his lip?
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, more or less.

Wick had a solid, constant double C coming into New Trier as a freshman. He was also an amazing soloist though, so he changed his embouchure, and while he can still solo extremely well, his range has never fully recovered.

So Sean would have definitely made a better lead player, that's for sure.

But Wick, man that kid's made allstate Jazz every year since his freshman year. He's pretty amazing even with his restricted range. He's at Purchase now, under Jon Faddis.
TommySpanos918

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Jake was an amazing soloist. Greg Papas was telling me he sounds really nice, even though his range is cut short.

Bruce is a tough guy to take lessons from. He's been asking me to join the MYA Jazz Band for a few months now... I didn't want to, but know that I have more time... I'll see. Ever seen his basement? I call it "the dungeon", I'll try to go over to Seans tomorrow and take some pictures... It's a dimly lit room, with lots of trumpets and bells hanging on the wall. A small light hangs from the selling with a music stand in the middle. It's kinda creepy...

And do NOT tell Bruce I said this...

Do you guys still have that really amazing Tenor Sax player?
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh. I like the sound of his basement. If you go over there, tell him to give me my $10.00 Getzen back that I got on ebay. He broke off the 3rd ring and it's probably lurking in his dungeon.

And Tenor Sax wise, we lost every single sax player that was in JAzz I this year, so no, he's not still there. I'm pretty sure there were only 3 or 4 non seniors last year.
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all about prospect high school in illinois. we sadly dont have a website for our jazz band though. *tear* we've had alot of soloists come in and work with us over the years. paul wertico, michael brecker, bobby shew, rob parton, im trying to think of the other players that have come over the years...

[ This Message was edited by: pmkt16 on 2004-03-06 13:10 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: