• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

benge 65b

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey_stl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: benge 65b Reply with quote

is a benge 65b a good overall lead horn?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Benge 65B is only related to the "classic" Benges of note build in Chicago and around LA by the name. The company was bought in the 70's by the King/HN White company who after increasing production, eventually moved it to Ohio with their other facilities in the early '80s. While Benges continued to be made, they were essentially the same instruments as the Kings and Conns that were produced at the Eastlake factory with various names stamped on them (for the most part).

So, what you've got is basically a generic pro-model UMI horn. Is it a good horn? The ones I've played are... alright - nothing special. Is it a lead horn? I'm definitely not a lead player, so... beats me. A better question is what this particular horn plays like - and I can't answer that. While it's pedigree isn't notable - I suppose some decent horns were made. Also, hopefully it's pretty affordable, as there isn't much nostalgic or collecting value in these models, so the price should be quite good.

I'm assuming you're asking because you're looking at a specific horn that for sale near you. What's the asking price? How does it play?

If you're looking for an quite affordable trumpet that might play OK (or not), this could fit the bill.

If you're looking for a real "Benge" as in the Benges of Elden Benge, Herb Alpert, and numerous others - well, this isn't it. You'll have to dig around and find a vintage Chicago, Burbank, or LA model or consider one of the Kanstul models.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benge 65b was a king trumpet with a different name on it. When the umi company still existed they bought hte benge name and built king trombones and trumpets and slapped the benge name on it. Personally I always thought that this was kind of a slap in the face to the benge family.

Now, to the op's questions. DO I think its a good lead horn? Maybe. Being as it is a king trumpet and I have always had a fondness for most of their models I would say its worth giving it a play and finding out for yourself.

When I worked in a music store that rented refurbished king 600 trumpets as our rentals, when the customers would ask what I thougth about the 600's I would always say, "If I was stuck with no other horn, I would feel perfectly fine playing this on a gig." ... and I meant it. It was a well built horn that didnt cut off in the upper register and had a full sound throughout.

I am bring up the 600 because it was their student line adn I am not sure which horn they modeled the benge 65 after. If it is like the 600, its not a bad horn.... but you might as well spend less money and buy a used king 600.

To get to the real point, a good lead horn is what is going to allow you to do your job as a lead player. THe right horn will help you get a good bright lead sound that will cut well and will also have a very free and open upper register... atleast that is what I look for in a lead horn.

Good luck in your quest.

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: