• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Concertos for Piccolo Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pretty good handle on the" Wee Lil Beasty" known as the Piccolo trumpet & I'm really starting to enjoy the "Higher Horns More & More. I've got most of the stuff covered as far as wedding music ( Head- Wallace books) so I'm thinking about working on a concerto for piccolo. I would like to work on this off & on kind of like I have been with the Hummel on my Eb trumpet.. I love the Michael Haydn but don't have the range, endurance or time as an amateur player to devote to it. What are some of your suggestions for Concertos ( Or other solo works) for piccolo trumpet. ( PLEASE no Brandenburg)

[ This Message was edited by: KevinInGeorgia on 2003-05-23 08:10 ]
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the more recent additions to my rep is the Albinoni Concerto in D minor. The 2nd mvt is particularly beautiful, imo, and the 1st & 3rd are fun to play.
my copy is from the Marie-Claire Alain collection, officially titled Concerto in Re Mineur (op. 9, no 2) Gerard Billaudot, editor.
very playable.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some interesting pieces in "The Piccolo Trumpet Big Book" by David R. Hickman, published by Tromba.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Bartok
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice concerto is the Fasch (sp?) Concerto.....I believe, also in D (major). Not a difficult concerto....very playable. And there are many recordings of it. Wyntons and Andres come to mind. Does have a few high F's (A picc), but not too many. It really has a nice bounce to it.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

I'm not far from you, and I have a copy of the Torelli concerto complete with string and basso continuo. This version (with strings accp) is, to the best of my knowledge, out of print. I'll be glad to give you a copy of my copy if you like. This is a great first solo on picc, and if you can get a chamber string group to perform with, it really sounds nice!

A good next step would be to move into the Telemann/Leopold Mozart concertos, and then on to the likes of M. Haydn and Brandenburg.

Drop me an email if you are interested...

Paul Poovey
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something pretty reasonable, I think a good place to start is the Purcell Sonata, if you don't know it already. The two Baldassare Sonatas (originally for cornetto, so they're more chromatic) are very nice and very approachable. The two Viviani Sonatas are good as well, and because they're written for trumpet and organ, they're good gig music. Some of the Albinoni oboe concertos work well, but others are very challenging from an endurance standpoint. The Concerto in B flat is a good one to begin with. The Torelli concertos are also good -- the first one is, IMO, the most interesting.
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Telemann concerto in D major a lot. The 2nd movement is the easiest range wise and all mvnts are fun to play. One of my favourite picc concertos
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order anything by Torelli, in D from Robert King Music, they are all the old Musica Rara Editions. They come complete with D trumpet part and Bb trumpet part. So you can transpose the D trumpet part to A piccolo in the key of F, or you can play the part in E major on the Bb side of the pic, depending on which side is better in tune.
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with Purcell Sonata in D and Torelli concerto plus all the wedding stuff then...........

My favorites that are playable by a beginner/intermediate player in no particular order are

Cimarosa concerto in C major
Bellini concerto in Bb major
Leopold Mozart concerto in D major
Tartini concerto in D major
W.A Mozart concerto in C major K 314
Albinoni concerto in D minor
Bach - Rondo & Badinerie
Stoelzel concerto in D major
Bach concerto in F major
Fischer concerto in C major
Teleman concerto in D
Albinoni concerto in Bb major

Some of these are transcriptions from the oboe, flute, etc. literature. Most are in the Maurice Andre collection and published by Billaudot.

Good Luck

Seth Moore

Richard I. Schwartz
"The Cornet Compendium"

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Stomvi on 2003-05-23 12:09 ]
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the GREAT suggestions..
I'm going to order the Purcell Sonata (Which Edition should I order from Robert King)
Also think I am going to order the ALBINONI cause I love his works..

What can you tell me about the TARTINI: CONCERTO IN D. I saw someone mentioned it & It interests me because they have a transcription for band.. I might be able to play this with my local community band since I'm also the Associate conductor (He, he: I guess sometimes being a conductor has its privileges.)

Thats just to start i'm sure by the end I'll probably order just about everything you list..

Thanks,
Kevin

PS : of course as soon as I post this I go out on Tower Records & find that Smedvig just released a new CD with the Tartini on it so I got to listen to some samples, VERY nice:
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1071504&cc=USD

[ This Message was edited by: KevinInGeorgia on 2003-05-23 13:17 ]
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Stanley voluntaries. There is a great collection of Wedding music for Trumpet and Organ by John Head (former principle Atlanta) and Sue Wallace. Also check out Telemann's Heroic Music. The music samples on my website are from these two sources.

Send my best to Big Al
Michelle

[ This Message was edited by: pushyred on 2003-05-27 08:02 ]
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in my original post. I reference that I have all the Head-Wallace Wedding Books. Actually I play in a Brass Band with John Head & he gave me a copy of his Holy Week book which has some nice arrangements also. After a while I need something new to sink my teeth into & can only play Trumpet Voluntary so many times. I’m going to order some music from Robert King..
Think I’m Going to get the Purcell Sontata, Albinoni Concerto in D minor. & the Tartini Concerto in D major. I might get a chance to perform the Tartini since there is a Band arrangement of it & the community band I Play/Conduct is always looking for new solo pieces.

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, I just came back to edit that post but you're too quick for me! I know what you mean about Trumpet Voluntary. I was glad a couple of years ago when the "in thing" at weddings became Ode to Joy just so I could play something different!
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea.. At my wedding luckily my wife wanted Ode to Joy & I wanted them to play the Wider but she nixed that. That's what happens when you marry a Non-Musician.. Of course she did enter to Prince of Denmark so I can't say much.. Of course I remember a post many months ago kidding about what they would do if someone asked them to play the Brandenburg for a wedding.

Speaking of Wedding stories… I played my Brother’s wedding Last September. He is in a small town in Central Florida (Ask Tim80 How small it is) & I know most of the attendants would have never seen or heard a piccolo trumpet. I play ed the traditional stuff.. When I finished everyone said they loved the “Toy Trumpet” & My new in-laws asked me to play for them when they renewed there vows.. I then proceeded to tell them my Fee plus that they would have to play for my Plane ticket.. HHMM I haven’t heard from them since..

Kevin

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: