• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dangerous Work Amongst the High Seas...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joyzeegirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Dangerous Work Amongst the High Seas... Reply with quote

Hello People of Trumpet Herald!

I'm new to Trumpet Herald, but I came across this forum topic and really felt the need to throw some of my cents/experience in, if I may....

I currently work for a cruiseline(think Circus) as a trumpet player. A lot of the showbands on these ships are 7-piece format, therefore only one trumpet spot. Been doing it for a few years. Now I'm classically trained, but I could hold my own as far as playing lead. I'm no Maynard, but it's there.

Now back in September, I get onto a ship where the Musical Director is a sadist, basically. (Mind you, he DOES play trombone, a brass instrument...) He makes us play 5-7 hours a day, 5 days a week. This is NOT a joke. And not only that, I was having to fill the roles of both lead and 2nd player--you know what that means...Having to play both lead AND soloing. A lot. And his mentality was that if HE could do it, so should everyone else. And if you didn't want to solo, or needed to take things down, he would dock you on your record, and threaten that you should leave the ship.(This is no joke either, it really happened.)

By the end of the contract, my lips were pooped, of course. I went home put the horn in the case for 10 days. Then took it out and did some light calisthenics to get things back in shape for my next ship. I get on my next ship, and the first week of the schedule is fine. (again, playing lead.) Then the next week, my upper lip was starting to get really tense, and clenching a lot. It got to the point where I had to leave the ship because people were noticing, and told me I needed to leave on medical signoff to recoupe. I KNOW in my heart that it was from that evil MD's schedule, and not having enough rest time after a 2-month contract like that.

Now, if I may....I've got strong lips. My training is from great teachers at a fine school, so maintaining lip health has always been a steady principle for me. Been playing trumpet for 20 years, and never had an issue. And then this. (Not to mention I'm losing a LOT of money being home from this on disability!)

I also noticed that my lip(upper) was somewhat swelled at the time I put the horn in the case a few weeks ago. However now, it's gone. And my buzz response feels great. I'll be SLOWLY getting back into practicing soon...

I guess my overall point here, is that on the cruiseships, where no union or regulation is, these sadistic bosses can do as they please. I just wanted to share this with as many people as I can to help inform people of what's out there--I don't wish that on anyone, I really don't! And I guess too because the topic appears to relate to endurance and all... So beware! I must say that I would recommend staying AWAY from cruiseship work, because there is no protection for that from Unions...
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if cruise ships are the only gig one can get at the time? Play or not play?
joyzeegirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my response would be do it, but be ready to walk on a person who would force you to do such a thing.

I'm lucky, my lip healed. I do know people who's careers have been RUINED because they kept going, and that was the only work they could find...

Honestly, is it worth your trumpet career, is the big question?....
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

I chose to get re-trained in a different field for my "day job" but still play evenings and weekends. If I was going to keep music as my sole source of income, I would have had to go on the boats. Not much other freelance work available these days.

Now I can turn down the crap gigs.
joyzeegirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally hear that Mike!

I'm honestly considering some sort of other job that will pay bills but let me achieve the musical goals I wish to--cause lord knows I'm not letting this stop me!

And I don't think it should stop anyone else either!
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nuthin' to add, as I have no experience in that arena, but i just had to say...

LOVE the moniker, joyzeegurl.

I grew up in Morris County... not really the joyzee part of NJ, but NJ all the same.
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
joyzeegirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I live in LA, the land of reading license plates....For some reason, people have a hard time reading "joiseygirl"...so I finally said screw it, I'll write it like a license plate. People get it every time...
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like "cruise ships" aren't very glamorous "or nice" to its musicians and/or other crew members.
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:
Sounds like "cruise ships" aren't very glamorous "or nice" to its musicians and/or other crew members.

Big surprise. According to the precedent set by Titanic, in the event of sinking, you're expected to keep playing.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BedfordTrumpeter wrote:
lmf wrote:

Big surprise. According to the precedent set by Titanic, in the event of sinking, you're expected to keep playing.

For sure...what a commitment, ay?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:

I grew up in Morris County... not really the joyzee part of NJ, but NJ all the same.

It's funny to read that! I grew up in Essex County, and somebody wanted to argue with me that everybody that lived in NJ had the Joisey accent, based on the authority that she worked at the Indianapolis airport. Refused to believe that my "non-accent" was the way everyone spoke where I was raised ... where's the emoticon for hitting your head against a brick wall?
OldTnTptBoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Essex County, my brother still lives there, and my younger brother lives in Morris County, and it never occurred to me that the JoyZeeGirl handle was about New Jersey. And I do not "talk like that" either.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you do! You just can't hear your online accent like we can
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dangerous Work Amongst the High Seas... Reply with quote

Welcome to the real world. This kind of stuff isn't isolated to just cruise ship work. I don't think I've ever really worked with a contractor that gave a crap about my chops, health, well being, and often whether they paid me afterward. If you expected something rose-colored and happy, you went to school for the wrong subject.

Unions only protect union gigs, which in most places in the USA, are few and far between. The glory days are long gone, and unfortunately, we have to assimilate, or fail.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this in Reveille? This is a nice discussion and belongs in either the Lounge or maybe in the Commercial section.

In other words, what's a nice thread like this doing in a place this? (Sorry, couldn't resist...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: