• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shaving - when and with what?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namuhs55

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what fellow trumpeters do when it comes to shaving, ie when do they do it and with what sort of tool? For example, in my case I use an electric shaver (Norelco Lift-and-Cut) and do my shaving of facial hair every night before I go to sleep. Everytime I've tried to shave in the mornings I have noticed a huge difference in the feel of my lips (not as flexible and tone gets fuzzy) and my playing is significantly affected.

The reason I ask is the fact that I'm going to be married in the near future and I'm sure my bride-to-be doesn't want my lips to resemble a mouthpiece cleaning brush. On the flipside, I'm also planning on playing something special for her during the reception and obviously do not want to sound like crap in front of all our family and friends.

Thanks for the help,

N
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye.

Last edited by MrClean on Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trumpet teacher pointed out that it's easy to miss those little half-inch hairs growing out of your neck, which he called "McAuliffes," after a fellow trumpet player he knew in college. You may not see these growths, but women do! I would say that this, along with trying for the same air flow for tongued and slurred, and singing what you play, is one of the three most valuable things I've learned in lessons!

I now do the McAuliffe check after every shave.
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bottom lip is a bit messed up after playing since i was about yay high which makes it very uncomfortable to shave but its fine when playing. i try to shave the day before and important gig and not in the morning so i am used to the way my face feels. i also try and cut my nails a few days before so im used to the way my fingers feel on the valves.

such hard work!

sam
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at Berklee in the summer of 1973, there was legend going around that said that a trumpeter should grow a moustache because there was a muscle in each follicle that could be developed if it wasn't shaved.....
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a full beard be better, then? Using this logic, I'd think swimmers and runners would do themselves a disservice by shaving their legs for aerodynamic reasons.
John
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....excellent advice.....STOP SHAVING!!! I shave but never get anywhere close to my lips.....try it!!!!

Kurt
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting subject and I've had a couple of observances about it too.

When I got to my first band out of the Armed Forces School of Music, I was 19 and I looked REALLY young so I decided that I was going to grow a mustache. It took almost a month before it started looking right but I also noticed a difference in the way that I played. I seemed to have a little better endurance and my accuracy imroved quite a bit. I wore that mustache until I went to the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps and I had to shave it off due to the fact that the Old Guard isn't allowed to wear facial hair.

I got out of the Army in 1999 (7 years later) and I tried to grow it back but for some reason, now that I'm older, my facial hair is much more coarse and I couldn't get used to the way that it felt when I played so I keep it off all of the time now.

Back to your question, I've never had good luck shaving with electric razors and Norelcos for me are the worst. I'd go with a decent blade razor. I really like the Gillette Mach 3, but I'm cheap so I just use the Gillette plus (with the lubra strip) disposables, which are almost as good.

Good luck with your wedding day dilemma.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
mileage
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Numuhs55, I prefer to shave at night rather than in the morning,but that's not great when you're getting married the next day. I think you're better off wet-shaving rather than using an electric razor which tends to irritate the skin more.Also I've found that if you use a moisturiser after a shave it stops the mouthpiece sticking to your face.Lastly,don't play for half an hour or so after you've shaved.It doesn't feel quite so odd then.
Namuhs55

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....thanks all for the great advice. I'm gonna get a blade on my way home from work.

Namuhs
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting in on this late, but here is my .02 cents. I've noticed for years that my playing suffers when I tried to perform on a smoothly shaven upper lip. The solution for me was a beard. I just have to notch out the spot a little where the mouthpiece sits with a fine pair of scissors. I usually take care of this on the days when I trim my beard. The trumpet working spot is a little rough and sandpapper-like, but I think that's what I need to play at my optimum. My wife loves my beard too which helps.
Larry Smithee
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, I have noticed the same thing.....I sound and play better with a mustache than without one.....beard or not does not seem to affect my playing

Kurt
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only shave that would concern me is the one that I would need if I were to get a hernia operation

I wore a goatee about a year ago and it was just a different feel that I had to get used to. I agree with some of the other posts in that I don't like to get too close to my lips with a blade. I use an electric near the chops and a blade for the rest of my ugly mug.
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to shave before going to bed - my wife appreciates it as well - that way if I do cut myself, it won't be so critical as I'll have the whole night for things to heal. Generally I prefer the slight grip you get from a day's growth on the lips. I once shaved right before a gig in a really hot and sweaty club - the mouthpiece was just sliding around all over the place.
For me it has to be a gillette mach 3 turbo (hang the expense, it's tax deductable anyway) with a really good gell. By the way, I shave my whole face and head at the same time - apart from my eyebrows and an occasional 'jazz beard' (goatee) when it takes my fancy.
Noel.

[ This Message was edited by: lonelyangel on 2003-05-29 07:21 ]
mileage
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noel. Great post, I was laughing for ages! Am I right in thinking that you don't need to shave the top of your head? Would you be that Noel?
lonelyangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.....Mileage..... Miles.....somebody who does a lot of gigs on the road... do I know you?? Yes I am 'that' Noel.
mileage
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many gigs on the road I'm afraid.It's Miles Maguire anyway,you might remember me from Guildhall.Are you still teaching there?
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with Mileage - if you have to shave before a job moisturizer and lip balm right after a wet shave helps. Helps keep the skin pliable and silky smooth
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try `King of Shaves', you don't feel as `dry' afterwards, leaves the chops nicely moisturised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Young Man with a Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip would be to wet shave your face but leave the area around your chops (moustache, goatee...) and go over them with a sideburn trimmer. That way, you look clean-shaven but have the comfort of a little bit of growth to play on that is a little less obvious to see.

Moustache (Must dash? Geddit?!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: