• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What to do when you can't practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhodf

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I would love to be able to practice every day, there are times when I can't. These times are either usually over a weekend or sometimes an entire week. I used to buzz the mouthpiece during these "down" times in order minimize the atrophy. Since Mr. Adam does not advocate buzzing and I don't have a spare leadpipe, what would you suggest I do if I have to take off for a few days? What would I do differently if I have to lay off for a week?

One thing I can think of is listening to great players to keep your ear in the game.

I was also wondering if there is any value in lip buzzing (a controversial topic, I know) or mouthpiece buzzing during a layoff or if this would do more harm than good. Are there any other physical exercises (or mental ones) that would minimize the effects of time off, especially when it is for an entire week?

Thanks
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy a JoRal Shortcut, kind of a leadpipe with a small bell. Or, just get some hose about the right length and diameter. Do a search on TH for "pencil" and "isometric" exercises.

Just don't overdo any of them!

If you free buzz differently than with the mpc, you may get into trouble...

HTH - Don
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of Don's comments are definitely NOT from an ADAM perspective. Adam used to use lengths of hose (before he hit on the leadpipe idea). I do not know about the Jor-Al product. Anything named after Superman's dad can't be all bad.

Definitely run the other way from the dreaded pencil exercise

I would stay away from mouthpiece or free buzzing. Go to a repair man and try to buy a spare leadpipe. I actually use the A pipe from an old Getzen piccolo trumpet in the car. It needs to have some length to it and ideally a venturi/receiver gap.

Otherwise, if you can't hit the leadpipe I say enjoy the break and listen to as much great music as you can and work on singing and sight-singing.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2003-05-29 08:40 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops -- sorry! Didn't notice where I was... I try to stay away from forums I don't know much about, 'cept to learn. I admire Mr. Adam but am not a direct follower (so shoulda' kept my mouth shut!) Feel free to wipe my post.

FWIW, Jacobs didn't advocate free buzzing, either.

Here's a link to the Jo-Ral Shortcut:
http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/sid=030529113106216161063025135999/g=accessories/search/detail/base_id/95838

The durn thing is up to $30 now, so PH's suggestion to get an old leadpipe is probably a better bet. Or, just ick up some hose and cut to length -- probably cost a buck or two, tops.

Bowing out (in disgrace) - Don
PH

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Just as I suspected...wandering the forums aimlessly

No disgrace!

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2003-05-29 14:45 ]
rhodf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to follow up on the experiences that I had after returning from a one week layoff. I found them quite enlightening.

It has been several years since I had gone that long without playing. When I came back from a layoff of that long before, it would take at least a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of things. I was dreading picking up my horn after the layoff, knowing that I would have a couple of weeks of hard and frustrating work to get back into shape.

Knowing that I had some performances coming up, I picked up my horn after the break this time ready to face the long road ahead. As expected, my chops felt very weird when I put the horn up to my face to try some long tones. At that moment, I told myself to completely ignore how it felt and to focus entirely on the sound. If it feels bizarre, but sounds good, who cares. Within a few notes, I was able to produce a good, clear and focused sound. I was able to practice almost as long as I had before the layoff. In addition, the weirdness was gone within a day or two and I was playing just as well as I did before. I am convinced that the reason my previous comebacks were so difficult was that I was focusing on trying to get the “feeling” back rather than focusing on the sound. By focusing on the sound rather than how it felt, I was able to cut my comeback time from two weeks to two days.

Thanks again.
PH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhodf,

That's called an epiphany!!!

Bravo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: