• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

oil for a schilke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is a bit of a warmed over topic but what do yo schilke users use on your valves? iv got two bottles of alcass but im not having a good time with it. iv only had my schilke a little while and iv already used half a bottle. my valves are realy slow and sluggish when i pick up the horn and they improve little. this is not a way i can afford to go on!

so what do you use?

thanks, sam
trumpet112002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, well i had the same problem on my new Schilke as well. I gave it time and washed out the casings every week as recommended for new horns. After a period of time, the valves still were slugish. I then tried a slightly thicker oil, Zaja. It works great, it was like night and day. I am currently using Hetman Light Piston oil and it's great. Give it time, if that doesn't help, switch to a thicker oil. Good luck to you.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Hetman #1 on my S22.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Bob Reeves now has something called H20 oil that is non-petroleum and it mixes with your saliva unlike oil and water not mixing. I've heard that it lasts longer and many people are pleased with it. I haven't personally tried it yet, but I haven't heard anything but good things about it. Might want to ask around about it.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Zaja Blue. My Schilke valves have never felt better, and I've tried quite a few oils!

JU
MikeZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used Zaja oil on my 2 month old Schilke B1. Perfect valves. Fast and solid.
Tama Starclassic Maples
http://www.mazworld.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ren Schilke recommended Al Cass for his trumpets. Always works. However, Hetman #1 is superb on my X3. T.
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cleaned my valves the other day and lightly applied Al-Cass after i finnished playing i untightened my valve caps so they were loose and put it away, the next day they were just as if i had oiled them. so i might take to doing this, i have a freind who does this to his prestige crt. has anyone else done this?

i might give the binak a go, just to see and then ill have a look at some of your other suggestions. though um sure Renold cant be wrong!

thanks all, sam
klorenz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use alisyn oil on my schilke p5-4. i know a lot of you dont like this thick synthetic oil, but i have found that it works quite well and i only end up oiling the valves every two weeks or so.
Cha Starfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Cha Starfish on 2003-07-01 18:41 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I repeated myself and said the exact same thing above..... sorry... lol

"It takes a big ole' sack of flour, to make a big ole' pan of biscuits!"

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2003-06-23 07:44 ]
aggieboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Al Cass on my 30 yr old Bach for years and just got my first bottle of Zaja Blue .. with the "Blue", the valves seem a little faster and the oil lasts longer. I'll stay with the "Blue"

Schilke 15C4

[ This Message was edited by: aggieboy on 2003-06-24 13:26 ]
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a bottle of H2Oil from WWBW the other day. Haven't had a chance to use it yet on my Calicchios -- have to report on it later. I've been using Zaja Pro but I'm always on the lookout from something better. Zaja Pro and H2Oil seem to be competitively priced.

---<Rick
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Pro Oil Hybrid on my Schilkes - it works rather nicely as long as i keep my horn clean.

[ This Message was edited by: WFUnix on 2003-08-16 07:14 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently wound up with a bottle of Blue Juice. I've used Al Cass almost exclusively for well over 15 years, but I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the Blue Juice by comparison. It seems to be a little thinner, but it also seems to last a bit longer and my valves seem a bit faster.

On the other hand, I haven't used it, but I've heard great things about Zaja Pro/Blue and the general consensus seems to agree.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should never need anything but alcass on your schilke - I oil though the leadpipe daily and never have an issue - if you have cleaned the vavles and are still having valve problems then don't hesitate and call the schilke factory!!

I have heard of this small break in period before and that it does not last long at all but those guys don't mess around!! Schilke can only hand lap 4 horns a day due to their tight tolorances and I am really suprised when anyone has to have any type of break in period at all on thier horns...

I have used alcass for 15 years on my schilke and use their lanolin grease slide without ever having a hitch - ask to speak to phil or email him at phil@schilkemusic.com and see what he has to say on the subject - let us know how they reply and how they help to retify the situation for you. it will be worth your time.

-marc
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got a new schilke B1L in gold plate (anyone wanna buy my 43 strad??).
The one thing noone really tells you is that when it is a new horn, it is advisable to strip, dry and oil the valves and casings every day (at least every other) for the first few weeks (first month). This allows the valves to bed in without rubbing and scratching the metal. When I got my strad many years ago, after a month, they started sticking. I took it back and got it fixed, but was told how to properly oil the valves, and to do so every day for a month.

I am using La Tromba oil at the moment - it is fantastic, quite thick and the silicon helps to protect the valves. Don't use blue juice. I think Holton would be quite good too.

Out of interest - what schilke did you get?? I now have a schilke Bb and Eb, both in gold (Mmmmm), and I have never played anything like them. Phenomenal horns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a S32. its fantastic and i love it to death (and play it there too!). i think i may get the Eb when i have the cash! when i got it i was told to clean the valves every day and to drown them in oil for about a month. thats working great now, i oil them every other day and prour alcass down the leadpipe before playing, not a problem! i guess its was just getting used to playing a decent horn.

cheers for all your help, sam
nowherenearadoublec
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Alcass on my X3. Blue juice works better on all my other instruments but not the X3.
Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: