• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I feel like starting an argument

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is another trend to look at regarding Bach.

It's interesting that the decline of several of the companies that were big when Bach was a much smaller outfit in New York (and later in Mt. Vernon, to some degree) seems to coincide with with Bach's rise.

Conn and Olds were pretty big in the pre-Bach era. It's thought that Conn's quality dropped when they moved production to Abilene (late 60's / early 70's). Similarly, most agree that Olds' quality also declined starting at the beginning of the 70's.

The decline in quality by these companies is also accompanied by Bach's move to Elkhart in 1965 (I think) where production greatly increased.

Did the decline of quality of those brands allow Bach to expand it's share of the band market? Did Bach's expansion force the others into production that could not maintain their quality? Was mismanagement by Bach's competitors a key factor in it's rise? I suspect that the real answer is some combination of all of these - and probably some others I didn't mention and probably am not aware of. There's got to be some relationship between all these events.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...

You might have something.

Bach moves to Elkhart, hires workers... what happens to Conn?

What happened to Blessing and Martin in this time frame as well?

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Hey...

You might have something.

Bach moves to Elkhart, hires workers... what happens to Conn?

What happened to Blessing and Martin in this time frame as well?

Tom

Good points.

I'm not sure what drove Conn to move it's production to Texas. I've read things about it over the years - but I don't really remember what the conclusions were. Maybe someone can chime in here.

Also, I don't know about the other major players - or how major they were in comparison. How big was Holton, Blessing and King in those days? I suspect that Martin was smaller - though obviously the Committee loomed large as an influence. I couldn't comment on their status or history or success over time. I'm sure others can.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have read on TH and on other sites that, for example, Olds decided to move "downmarket" and concentrate on student horns in the 70s which unfortunately for them co-incided with two things -

Yamaha getting serious (and cheap)

Increasing affluence meant that amateur players could attain a professional trumpet.

So, maybe they were losing at both ends - people after cheap and cheerful went Japanese, and those who wanted the top end went for the (perceived) quality of Bach? Just a thought.

You can kind of see it happening to Yamaha now - Jupiter and other Taiwanese/Chinese brands are producing student horns for cheaper money, and in the age of the internet, niche manufacturers (e.g. Lawler, Eclipse, Taylor etc.), are skimming the cream off the top. Yamaha gets squeezed in the middle.

Meanwhile Bach has had it's troubles too - it will be interesting to see if their hold over certain areas of trumpet-dom continues into the future. I actually have my doubts - if all the stories we hear about their drop in quality are true, they will lose their mantle no doubt, especially if they become seen as more marketing than skilled workmanship.

And then where does that leave American trumpets? Getzen and Kanstul, come on down!
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
You can kind of see it happening to Yamaha now - Jupiter and other Taiwanese/Chinese brands are producing student horns for cheaper money, and in the age of the internet, niche manufacturers (e.g. Lawler, Eclipse, Taylor etc.), are skimming the cream off the top. Yamaha gets squeezed in the middle.

Meanwhile Bach has had it's troubles too - it will be interesting to see if their hold over certain areas of trumpet-dom continues into the future. I actually have my doubts - if all the stories we hear about their drop in quality are true, they will lose their mantle no doubt, especially if they become seen as more marketing than skilled workmanship.

And then where does that leave American trumpets? Getzen and Kanstul, come on down!

I think that the affect of this is exaggerated on sites like TH where people play a far more greater variety of instruments than out in general.

Go to any HS band room. Go to any college wind ensemble practice. Go to any community band. What will you see? Bach. Bach. More Bach. Some Yamaha. That's pretty much it for the most part. Yamaha has more a presence in the last decade than ever before, but it hasn't supplanted Bach, in my experience. The Conn, Kanstul, Getzen, King, Olds, Buescher, Holton and whatnots of the world aren't actually that common - certainly in the average HS trumpet player world.

The actual big profitable market in the trumpet business in still the school band program. Jupiter and some others might be squeezing into the low-end student horn market - a real cutthroat business. However, the "pro" horn market of junior high and high school students is still very much a world of Bach and Yamaha.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I'm not in the U.S., so I bow to your local knowledge, and you are right of course, what one sees on TH is not a reflection of the real world.....

It's probably pretty similar here - Bach and Yamaha rule the roost, but Jupiter has made big inroads at the lower end of the market.

I guess it's a little bit like the pharmaceutical industry - if you lock in the "doctor" (band director / teacher), you're on a winner.

Of course here in OZ, the fact that James Morrison was a Yamaha artist helped them - we even have a James Morrison version of the 6335 horn.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - I don't have any special knowledge. I've just been around a bit in the American band world - at least in MN, ND, and WI.

I didn't notice you were from OZ, so that's cool. It's quite possible that your trumpet market profile is a bit different down there. I'm sure it's much easier to pick up a Bach here, even in rural WI, than in Australia. So, it's not surprising that Yamaha is much more of a presence, and was so earlier, than in the US.

It's quite possible that Jupiter will follow in Yamaha's footsteps, at some point, market and quality-wise. It's been a few years since I've played one. Yamaha's definitely left the door open in the student horn market for several years with it's higher prices.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter have certainly upped their quality in the last few years.

The market is certainly more limited here, that's for sure. Even in capital cities it can be hard to find horns. I am two hours from OZ's second biggest city, Melbourne, with approx 4m people, and there is no one who sells Schilke, for example, or Kanstul - but I can try a Shagerl.

There are two big music store chains in Melbourne, Allans, and Billy Hyde. Billy Hyde stocks Bach, and Allans stock Yamaha, and so it goes....

There are a couple of other smaller stores that stock Bach and Yamaha together.

I know in the 70s, when I was a student, most professional players purchased horns when they were in the US. It's not quite that bad now, but yes, we are impoverished in some ways over here when it comes to choice. Luckily I have a sister living in the US, so I get the occasional chance to visit trumpet nirvana.

Getting back to the topic though - it is probably easier to pick up a Yamaha here than a Bach, but there are still a lot of Bachs, but probably more Strads in proportion to their lower models than in the US.
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
Jupiter have certainly upped their quality in the last few years.

I'll have to try one again sometime. One of my students had a nicer-looking silver Jupiter, but I didn't play it. I think it was an XO or something. I don't play my student's horns, much, if I can help it.

p76 wrote:
The market is certainly more limited here, that's for sure. Even in capital cities it can be hard to find horns. I am two hours from OZ's second biggest city, Melbourne, with approx 4m people, and there is no one who sells Schilke, for example, or Kanstul - but I can try a Shagerl...

Interesting. I've never seen a Schagerl in my life. Schilke's aren't super common except at certain stores (none in MN that I know of). I suppose a few new P5-4's might be floating around the Twin Cities retail market, but I haven't seen the other models. Yamahas and Bachs are everywhere, though.

p76 wrote:
Getting back to the topic though - it is probably easier to pick up a Yamaha here than a Bach, but there are still a lot of Bachs, but probably more Strads in proportion to their lower models than in the US.

As far as lower model Bachs, you're not missing a thing. Don't even bother.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the XO is Jupiter's top line horn. I've only played their student model, and.... it's definitely a student model.

I guess we are a pretty small market - the entire population of our country is only 22 million people, and who knows what proportion are enlightened....

Shagerl's are really nice horns, but $$$ (Like 4-5000).

I'm not going to bother with a Bach - tried a Strad (37) recently, and it was nice. But not nicer than my Yamahas, and not even close to the Selmer Radial I picked up at the time.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Elle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
I guess we are a pretty small market - the entire population of our country is only 22 million people, and who knows what proportion are enlightened....

pssh...
Norway has a total of 4.8million inhabitants.....
(But at least we've got two stores with Schilke producs, although both of tham are far away from where I live)
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elle wrote:

pssh...
Norway has a total of 4.8million inhabitants.....
(But at least we've got two stores with Schilke producs, although both of tham are far away from where I live)

We've only got one, as far as I can tell, and that's 1,778 km from my front door!
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76:
Quote:
the entire population of our country is only 22 million people

I live in a town of 56,000 people, but we easily have more than 22 million rabbits living in our back yards. Oh, but write one letter to the editor suggesting that we might eat a few of them, now that winter is coming and they will be safe to eat (without the tuleramia, which dies off in the cold), and people think you are some kind of monster... Even the ones wearing rabbit fur coats..... jbq
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
p76:
Quote:

I live in a town of 56,000 people, but we easily have more than 22 million rabbits living in our back yards. Oh, but write one letter to the editor suggesting that we might eat a few of them, now that winter is coming and they will be safe to eat (without the tuleramia, which dies off in the cold), and people think you are some kind of monster... Even the ones wearing rabbit fur coats..... jbq

Ha ha, Rabbits are a pest here in OZ, and you are allowed to eat as many as you can catch!!
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
p76:
Quote:

Well, I like the wild bunnies that hang around my house. They're funny and cute. Sometimes they chase each other around the yard, sometimes they box the annoying squirrels, sometimes they nap in the shade. As a rule, they do a good job of munching my grass and weeding my yard - they really like dandelions sometimes. A bunny eating up a big, long dandelion from base to flower is a fun sight to see.

Personally, I prefer the bunnies to people as my neighbors.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn:
Quote:
Well, I like the wild bunnies that hang around my house. They're funny and cute.

Well of course they're cute, but bear in mind that it would only take one little mutation in their digestive system to allow them to digest flesh, and those cute little buck teeth could take on a whole new meaning to our pets and the squirrells and our young children who have been told to "go out and play in the yard"! jbq
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James B. Quick wrote:
Crazy Finn:
Quote:
Well, I like the wild bunnies that hang around my house. They're funny and cute.

Well of course they're cute, but bear in mind that it would only take one little mutation in their digestive system to allow them to digest flesh, and those cute little buck teeth could take on a whole new meaning to our pets and the squirrells and our young children who have been told to "go out and play in the yard"! jbq

True, but that wouldn't be a bad thing either. I could do with a few fewer neighbors. Kids are annoying. Squirrels can take care of themselves, for the most part. Then they can weed out the morons in the suburbs instead of just the clover and dandelions in my lawn.

Besides, kids don't go out and play in yards anymore. Sad.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean parents don't encourage them to have a life anymore apart from the video games and TV.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
You mean parents don't encourage them to have a life anymore apart from the video games and TV.

Either way.

Back in my day (not THAT long ago) we didn't need parent encouragement to go outside and play. We did it because it was fun.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

Encourage, my furry butt. My mother said go out and do something, so we did. There wasn't a choice.

Tm
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: