• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mahler III Posthorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Mahler changed the scoring of the solo from flügelhorn to posthorn. The accepted theory behind the change has it as Mahler being concerned about the military connotations from using a flügelhorn. This was well before the American jazz trumpet community discovered the flügelhorn. Back then the instrument was associated with continental European military bands, where it was used in the same way the cornet was used in Britain and America.
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroMan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, Mahler changed the scoring of the solo from flügelhorn to posthorn. The accepted theory behind the change has it as Mahler being concerned about the military connotations from using a flügelhorn. This was well before the American jazz trumpet community discovered the flügelhorn. Back then the instrument was associated with continental European military bands, where it was used in the same way the cornet was used in Britain and America.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ahhh, that explains it. were posthorns made with valves? i have seen a few on ebay with valves but most without. flugel and psthn. seem to be quite similar apart from the size of the bell (psthn smaller) am i right?

thanks for the info zeroman, sam
maccluer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter what instrument you play it on, in my opinion. There are a lot of right answers as far as equipment goes. The most important thing is that when you play it, no matter what horn you play it on, don't suck. The right horn for the excerpt is the horn you sound the best on.
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing is that when you play it, no matter what horn you play it on, don't suck. The right horn for the excerpt is the horn you sound the best on.

This is sage advice. I like that.

A thumb (or insert a different apendage) is for sucking. A Trumpet is for blowing.

Josh, I hope you don't mind that I had to write an addendum to your GREAT advice.

Mike
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got back from performig it. it went realy wellthough when i turned away the sound didnt reach the audience. its was fun celebrating it after, yaknow once a bottle is open it has to be drunk, the only thing is its amazing how they seem to open so quickly!!!

have loadsa fun, sam
Clarion Wind
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, you deserve to drink one down after playing the posthorn for a live audience!!!!
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For auditions sake, what kind of liberties can be takn tempo wise? Do people try to play it metronomically (and musically)? Or, are small liberties taken? -Max-

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: