• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn: sharp E and A

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Flugelhorn: sharp E and A Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to play a Yamaha 635ST and now I recently bought an Adams F1, and I've been playing a very sharp first line E and a sharp A above it .

But what intrigued me is the fact that there is a HUGE difference in tuning between this first line E played with valves #1,#2 compared to the alternate position, valve #3. The #1,#2 combination is considerably sharper.

With the Adams, there is a circular mark on the mouthpipe at around 0.40" (1cm aprox.) right after the tip where the mouthpiece goes. So I pull mouthpipe and I stop pulling when I get just a little bit after that mark. I don't want to pull it a lot more because notes below low C would get flat.

It's probably my way of playing it but I'd like to ask you guys what you think about it.

Thank you.

Last edited by abundrefo on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be many things going on.

Do you have the correct shank-ed mouthpiece for the Flugel?.. there 3 common Flugel mouhtpiece shanks, the wrong one can have an impact on pitch.

I'd first work on finding the sweet spot for your tuning slide (how far you pull the leadpipe-forget about that circular mark).
Try doing some blind tuning, close your eyes, play some random things, bend some notes then settle on/center a note, THEN look at the tuner. I like tuning to a conceert A - 2nd valve B on most trumpets I find it is less slippery than an open note and has a more defined "slot".
Find the best position for the slide - where most notes are closest-a compromise, then you'll have to adjust the rest by ear.
Flugels are notorious for pitch problems, but in my experience the Adams Flugels are excellent so, your issue surprises me.

Then if those two notes are sharp, which 1&2 valve combinations generally are, try playing them 3rd valve, or pull the first valve slide a little.

Finally work on your "ear".. play slow scales and studies with a tuner AND then some drone work.. This will also teach your chops where the notes sit.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Do you have the correct shank-ed mouthpiece for the Flugel?.. there 3 common Flugel mouthpiece shanks, the wrong one can have an impact on pitch.

Yes. All of my mouthpieces are standard (large) morse tapers. The best results I've got are with an ACB MV3C F, that used to sound amazing with my 635ST but now it's too bright with the Adams. The second best is an old Benge CG 5 FL (but rim diameter is too small). The best sound for me is a Yamaha Pierre Dutot signature model. And, to my surprise, the one that plays sharpest is a Bob Reeves 43FE.
zaferis wrote:
I'd first work on finding the sweet spot for your tuning slide (how far you pull the leadpipe-forget about that circular mark).
Try doing some blind tuning, close your eyes, play some random things, bend some notes then settle on/center a note, THEN look at the tuner. I like tuning to a concert A - 2nd valve B on most trumpets I find it is less slippery than an open note and has a more defined "slot".
Find the best position for the slide - where most notes are closest-a compromise, then you'll have to adjust the rest by ear.

Thank you. I'll try that.
zaferis wrote:
Flugels are notorious for pitch problems, but in my experience the Adams Flugels are excellent so, your issue surprises me.

I had the same issue with my Yamaha 635ST, so maybe I'm the problem.
zaferis wrote:
Then if those two notes are sharp, which 1&2 valve combinations generally are, try playing them 3rd valve, or pull the first valve slide a little.
Finally work on your "ear".. play slow scales and studies with a tuner AND then some drone work.. This will also teach your chops where the notes sit.

I'll also try that.
Thank you.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Flugelhorn: sharp E and A Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
I used to play a Yamaha 635ST and now I recently bought an Adams F1, and I've been playing a very sharp first line E and a sharp A above it... It's probably my way of playing it but I'd like to ask you guys what you think about it.

It probably isn't your fault. More likely the instrument was designed that way to improve playability across its range.

The 4th line D tends to play flat on many trumpets (cornets, flugels), and it's difficult to lip that note up to play it in tune. Some instrument designers make the 1st valve slide slightly shorter than the mathematically-correct length to make that note easier to play in tune.

However, shortening the 1st valve slide also makes some other notes sharp, especially pitches with the 1-2 valve combination. But this a worthwhile trade off because it's easier to lower those pitches by lipping down, or using the 3rd valve alternate fingering, or extending the 1st valve slide than it is to raise the D. It's a feature, not a bug.
Piccolo Stomvi

Last edited by dstdenis on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 3-valve instrument, the third valve is usually made long to minimize the necessary lipping down or kicking out slides for 2+3 and 1+3.

Also on a 3-valve instrument, valves 1 and 2 are usually made pretty close to in tune, individually, with the 1st valve sometimes being slightly longer.

So the reason 1+2 is sharper than 3 alone is that 3 is long, and 1+2 are actually shorter than what the length needed for 3 half-steps are, since each half step is geometric and takes progressively longer tubing than the simple linear addition of tubing. You will note the first valve circuit is a tad longer than twice the length of the second valve circuit for this reason.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Also on a 3-valve instrument, valves 1 and 2 are usually made pretty close to in tune, individually, with the 1st valve sometimes being slightly longer.

Interesting. So, I could try the following technique to tune the flugelhorn:
Tune concert A - 2nd valve B, then check 1st valve Bb and maybe also check 3rd valve third space C#(alternate fingering) and look for a sweet spot?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play an Adams F1. It has the best intonation of any flugelhorn I've ever tried. It is pretty right on with all notes to above high C. I've experimented with many mouthpieces and have settled on the Curry line. I have the FL, FLM, FLJ and the FLD. The FL has the best slotting and intonation, but none of the others are bad. The FLD is a slight bit more work but also slots really well. The FLM is a bit slippery but the range is very easy. The FLJ is kind of different and reminds me a bit of the Shew mouthpiece. I'm going to work with it a bit more and see what it can do.

Today's Cornet: York Eminence
Today's Mouthpiece: Marcinkiewicz CG Personal 16 Throat
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I play an Adams F1. It has the best intonation of any flugelhorn I've ever tried. It is pretty right on with all notes to above high C. I've experimented with many mouthpieces and have settled on the Curry line. I have the FL, FLM, FLJ and the FLD. The FL has the best slotting and intonation, but none of the others are bad. The FLD is a slight bit more work but also slots really well. The FLM is a bit slippery but the range is very easy. The FLJ is kind of different and reminds me a bit of the Shew mouthpiece. I'm going to work with it a bit more and see what it can do.

Yes. Above high C it's amazing. Very easy to play.
How far do you pull your mouthpipe?
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: did you mention your issue with the Adams people, and if so, what was their response?
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelnut wrote:
OP: did you mention your issue with the Adams people, and if so, what was their response?

Yes. Still waiting for a reply to my email.
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, please let us know what they say.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I did a few more tests and I believe I was initially influenced by the circular mark on the mouthpipe, as if I needed to stop right there in order to make the flugelhorn behave the way it should behave.

So I took the mouthpiece that allowed me to play lower on the pitch (my ACB MV3CF), played long note scales looking at a few different tuners and here is where I felt the mouthpipe should be. I pulled it and stopped at 0.80" (2cm), roughly.

Intonation got a lot better but:

- 1. I got used to the resistance of the blow when I pulled the mouthpipe till right about where the circular mark is. This picture shows that I'm now pulling it twice as much. So I need to practice a bit more tomorrow.

- 2. It seems the Adams F1 is more mouthpiece sensitive (intonation-wise) than my Yamaha 635ST. With my Pierre Dutot signature mouthpiece I need do pull the mouthpipe even more and the flugel resistance starts to feel weird. Too bad the ACB MV3CF mouthpiece plays a bit too bright with this flugel.

Last edited by abundrefo on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found slight differences in tuning with the different mouthpieces on the F1. Prior to the Adams I was using a Jupiter copy of the Yamaha. That flugelhorn as most others I tried felt really stuffy above the staff and had somewhat wonky intonation up there. With the Adams, either the F1 or F2, those problems went away.

It could also be the way you are blowing. With my F1 it takes almost no air anywhere from very low to high. And the sound is very consistent.

Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and as I've been told, the F1 is probably the brightest flugelhorn you can buy.

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you used to play a different flugle before you got the Adams. Was there a break in your flugel playing? When I'm away from the flugel for too long I inevitably resort to playing too high in the slot, pulling my tuning pipe out too far, making the horn play odd and the intonation dodgy. When I reacclimate, the tuning pipe gets pushed in a bit and everything lines up and then the blow and intonation are much improved.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
You say you used to play a different flugle before you got the Adams. Was there a break in your flugel playing? When I'm away from the flugel for too long I inevitably resort to playing too high in the slot, pulling my tuning pipe out too far, making the horn play odd and the intonation dodgy. When I reacclimate, the tuning pipe gets pushed in a bit and everything lines up and then the blow and intonation are much improved.

GREAT observation!
I'll keep my ears (and eyes) open!
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update:
Today I adjusted the resistance that I had lost with the new position of the mouthpipe by switching from Hetman 1 to Yamaha Regular oil, which is a bit thicker but still thinner than Hetman 2. It's right in the middle and now my flugel doesn't feel that weird anymore.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Oh, and as I've been told, the F1 is probably the brightest flugelhorn you can buy.

Sorry, but I have to whole heartedly disagree. My concept for a flugelhorn sound is as dark and full as possible. I currently own a Yamaha 631, Yamaha 731, and a very early Couesnon, probably from the fifties. They all sound good and play great but my Adams F1 has by far the darkest and fullest (if that's even a word) sound of the four, not to mention the best player of all of them. By the way, I am not an Adams sponsored artist and I do not play Adams horns exclusively. However, after multiple NAMM shows and ITG events, I have yet to find a flugelhorn that plays as well and sounds as good as my Adams and believe me I have played them all.

As far as intonation is concerned, the Warburton 3FLX mouthpiece I was using did not seem to work as well as I would have liked. A quick call to Trent, and the ACB mouthpiece he sent me solved the problem. The horn now has that excellent sound and excellent intonation.

You have one of the best flugelhorns on the market. Call Trent and order one of his flugel mouthpieces that is closest to your rim size. Problem solved.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Courtois flugelhorn has a trigger on the 1st valve, but nothing on the 3rd:
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
Flugelnut wrote:

Yes. Still waiting for a reply to my email.

I've got an email from Adams. First of all, I have to say their customer service is awesome. They often reply in a day (or two) and they are very helpful and patient.

Their answer goes in the same direction of what was already said here in this thread.

-------------------

"How does the instrument feel when playing in a band or ensemble?
If you compare it to a tuner you will find that any instrument is sometimes out of tune, we see it every day.
There is a difference in playing a E with 1+2 compared to playing it with 3. That's why there is this option.
If you take another brand you will find the same."

-------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: