• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hindemith and Voisin

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Hindemith and Voisin Reply with quote

Comment deleted. All information will be compiled into a new book on the Hindemith Trumpet Sonata by Nathaniel Mayfield.
www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate,

I, too, am confused by the tempo indications. When I studied with Roger in 1974, he told me that he performed it informally at Tanglewood during the summer of 1940 (his first year as a teacher there), a year after the piece was penned by Hindemith. He talked about how the half-note was to get the beat in the first movement, and how Hindemith (a decent pianist, although viola was his main instrument) struggled to play it, even though he he got most of it. Roger pointed out to me how this makes the shifting meters feel like true odd meters.

When playing the trumpet part only, this makes perfect sense! However, I have yet to find a pianist that can actually play the piano part at half-note = 96-100. Considering that Hindemith wrote all of his sonatas as "useful" music, it seems hard to believe that he thought pianists everywhere could play it at that speed.

I had dinner with Voisin and his family during the ITG conference in Amhurst, just a few months before he died. Roger was still as sharp as a tack! I specifically asked him about this piece again. He confirmed everything I had remembered him saying.

A few years ago I acquired a photocopy of a few pages of the Sonate. The first page of the first movement CLEARLY indicates that quarter-note = 96-100. Knowing how precise Hindemith was with his composing, and seeing the manuscript in his own hand. . . on the first page header, no less. . . makes it hard to believe that he wrote it as a misprint. Ever since seeing this, I have been confused. This, coupled with the extreme difficulty of the piano part at the half-note tempo, makes me think that Roger must have remembered incorrectly. Either that, or their rehearsal performance was fast enough that Roger was able to think in two, which is how he remembered it. Perhaps he was thinking that since Hindemith could play it somewhat fast, a professional pianist would be able to do it at half-note = 96-100.

Hindemith died in 1963. Was the Sonate recorded before that? I don't know, but all of the recordings and performances I have heard have been at quarter-note = 96 to about 140 or so. (I think Carol Reinhardt's recording is the fastest, but it still is nowhere near half-note = 96-100.) Surely, Hindemith would have voiced his contempt at the "slow" renditions being done if he actually meant half-note to get the beat?

My own opinion? I think that quarter-note should get the beat.

Dave Hickman

PS. Tonight, I will scan and post page one of the manuscript.
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment deleted. All information will compiled into a new book on the Hindemith Trumpet Sonata by Nathaniel Mayfield.
www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
jsnfmn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to muck of the waters here but since mention was made of recordings before 1963, I thought I'd add what I found out when I was researching this. At some point I was trying to find some more information on one of my first private teachers, Alex Wilson, and discovered that he was reputed to have made the first recording of the Hindemith Sonata in 1950. I tried for some time to find a used copy of the LP and eventually gave up and made a digital copy of one of the few library copies that exist, made a copy of the sleeve as well. He takes the first movement at around quarter = 140, in line with the fastest modern recordings Mr. Hickman mentions, but still not anywhere near the half note markings.

It may seem counterintuitive, but with a composer like Hindemith who was so interested in ratios and proportions, it may be possible that he halved the tempo in order to make the movement playable while still maintaining some of the proportional tempo relationships between movements. The durational proportions may have been less important to him in this piece. Pure speculation of course, just food for thought.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate,

I attended Voisin's masterclass at the ITG. I don't remember any mention of a student performing it with Hindemith. The tape will tell for sure, though.

Dave
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment deleted. All information will be compiled into a new book on the Hindemith Trumpet Sonata by Nathaniel Mayfield.
www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He never really said what the performance was, but that it wasn't actually a concert. My guess (having been to Tanglewood) is that it was during a trumpet masterclass, but might have also been for the student composers and conductors as well.
jsnfmn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natemayfield wrote:
Hindemith couldn't/wouldn't have changed the tempo. The final manuscript (what they used to make the engraving from) is clearly quarter note. As Dave said, Hindemith played his own music on the fast side.

There's really no way to know this, even by directly asking the composer, composer's are notorious for handing out misinformation about their own music. Additionally, just because it is clearly quarter note in the final manuscript does not mean that he never considered the half note either in sketches or even simply in his own mental playback of the music. An interesting exercise is to take a look at some of the other instrumental sonatas; you'll see similar textures to the opening of the Trumpet sonata pretty frequently, and they are almost invariably at half note tempos, some very fast, (eg the opening and ending of the Trombone Sonata which is at half = 88-92 or for a larger work the Molto agitato in the first movement of the Symphony in Bb also at half = 88-92).

I am not saying that either quarter or half is correct, just that even so-called primary sources need to be scrutinized and doubted just like any other evidence. In fact there are plenty of examples of this very kind of texture (lots of dotted eighths, sixteenths under long sustained lines) at a fast half note tempo in Hindemith's output and indeed that tempo for that texture seems to be the norm for him. I also don't think it is fair to discount Voisin's anecdote, and additionally I would trust the actual playback by the composer (even as recounted second hand) for a more correct range of tempo than a tempo marking any day and realistically I don't see the harm in some players exploring in their performances the faster half note tempos.

Disclaimer: I am a composer and I only just barely play the piano.
ravel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quarter note gets the beat! Don't know what Roger said in his later years but that's how he played it for me.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand how it COULD be Half Note getting the beat...I really think it's a misprint.

It's just too darn frenetic at Half Note = 100...totally defeats the marking of Mit Kraft.

Take a recording (I used the Tom Stevens), and put the first movement into a program like Audacity. You can speed up the tempo 100% without changing the pitch...it just doesn't sound like Hindemith...at all.

Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, some composers change their minds, or are quite open-minded and flexible. But. . . I've worked with dozens of pianists, many at the virtuoso level, and none could play it faster (with decent accuracy) than quarter = 140. To think of the piece at half = 96-100 is really a stretch.
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember him coaching me this on this piece very clearly, and I remember him telling me that he and Hindemith went over the piece in 1940. He made it very clear that this wasn't a formal concert, I got the notion that perhaps it was an impromptu reading.
That said, he never did talk about the half vs. quarter notation, but he did suggest that I think of the first movement in 2. I'll tell you what, I decided to pump out quarter notes into a metronome and what I hear in my head mixed with what I remember from coachings with Mr. Voisin-it is around 96 beats per minute...but I do feel it in halves and I do hear the rhythmic groupings in the piano in two.
It's moments like this when I wish I was present enough and smart enough to ask Mr. Voisin more questions on some of his stories.
Chris OHara
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Mr. Voisin talking about this while teaching at Tanglewood and he very clearly said that his informal performance with Hindemith at the piano was at the half-note...though I think that Mike may be on to something with the feel, and not necessarily the tempo
www.chrisjohara.com
www.alliancebrass.com
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Stevens has a very good article on his website (http://www.thomasstevensmusic.com/quotablesPage.php?Speaking-of-Correct-Tempi-6)
where he shows a copy of the first page in Hindemith's handwriting with a clear quarter = 96 - 100.

I've played it many times but last year decided to actually do it at 96 for a quarter. Was hard at first because it was slower than I'd ever done it. After a while it really felt good and now I'm convinced if I were to do it again, that the 96 works quite well.

I think there's another thread here somewhere about this, and I think I posted tempos on a dozen or more recordings from CDs I have. (I tried to do a search here but the search is too frustrating to use.... if you make a typo, for instance, you can do another search to correct it without waiting a while.)
JJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natemayfield wrote:
Anyone ever heard of this recording???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Private-BENEDETTI-SANDERS-hindemith-sonata-LP-mint-/220620590012?pt=Music_on_Vinyl

Yes, I have a copy, but it's in storage, so I don't have access to it right now. I haven't listened to it in years, but seem to remember that it's a bit faster than the quarter note = 96-100 marking, but slower than, for example, Tom Stevens' recording. So, probably somewhere around quarter note = 110. Certainly, nowhere near the half note = 96-100 marking.

Interestingly, Ed Treutel also insisted that the half note = 96-100 tempo is correct, and that he was told so by Hindemith himself. More precisely, he said that Hindemith had told him that the printed version was incorrect. Since I was using the later edition, which had already been corrected, I always assumed that he got it backwards (i.e., "corrected" my already corrrected copy) and simply didn't bring the piece to my next lesson and kept playing it at the quarter note = 96-100 tempo ...

Incidentally, when this subject came up a few years ago, I decided to contact the Hindemith Institute, and was sent a few pages of the original manuscript, which (via Ed Carrol) found their way to Tom Stevens and his website.

FWIW, here are my personal considerations:

1) The manuscript unambigously indicates quarter note = 96-100
2) The difficulty of the piano part seems to prohibit half note = 96-100
3) Purely musical considerations suggest quarter note = 96-100 (admittedly subjective)
4) The Schott's first edition in 1940 appears to have been a misprint as it doesn't match the manuscript from 1939
5) Hindemith led a coaching session in 1958 where he used the quarter = 96-100 tempo (see Stevens' website)

I suppose all of this doesn't necesarily mean that Hindemith couldn't have preferred the faster tempo marking when he worked on the piece with Voisin in 1940, but we have our ears and an awful lot of documented and other evidence that it was simply a misprint versus the memories of one or two (well-known and highly respected) players that Hindemith changed his mind between 1939 and 1940 and apparently back again by 1958.

In sum, I'd put my money on the quarter note = 96-100 marking.

JJ
tleasure

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me chime in here to say that my teacher, Richard Burkart, also had a conversation with Voisin about the Hindemith tempo and he was told by Roger that the QUARTER note got the beat but that the feel of the trumpet part was by the half note.

Furthermore, Doc also questioned him about the 5/4 bar at the end of the second movement. I have heard it performed two ways, but the 'correct' way is half note = half note ala odd meter.
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of composers record their music with faster tempi than later becomes recognised as the norm, off hand I remember a particularly rapid recording of Stravinskys Firebird with him at the helm but I've noticed it many times.
tptmed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of knowing Roger for years, and treasure all the lessons. To the end, as Mr. Hickman stated, he was sharp as a tack. He always insisted that Hiindemith want the half note to = 96, and I heard him say it on several occasions. That said, for all the reasons stated above, I agree with the quarter note =96; it seems to convey the power, weight, and tension of the piece better. I've done it at 100, but prefer the 104 area a little more, it just suits me better.
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
natemayfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.natemayfield.com

Last edited by natemayfield on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: