• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Endurance??..Ha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dauminator3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could say that I'm not the greatest trumpet player in the world, but I try. In my school jazz band, I regularly play high d's, but after one or two songs that have a lot of them...my chops are shot. In the practice room, I try to accomplish every thing that I wanted before working on range(which for me is just playing two octave scales going up cromatically(not sure if this is the right way to do it)) because once I play the scales up to an E or F, my tone gets really fuzzy and I immediatly lose hope of really practicing anymore. As a soon to be junior in high school, is this a problem?

Any advice or different stratagies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-Jared
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like maybe you're not warming up properly. Try warming up longer and playing softer and more relaxed than you ever have.

Make yourself take the horn off your face frequently. Play a minute. Rest 30 seconds. Play a minute. Rest 30 seconds. Then play two minutes and rest 30 seconds. Don't play anything above the staff. Just focus on getting a full, open sound.

Relax. Breath deep. Keep your throat open. Play with your chest high. Hold the horn so loose you're close to dropping it.

Start with second line G and play it for seven counts. Rest one count. Then play four quarter notes and eight eighths and then play a final whole note and hold it as long as you can.

Do this down to low F#, then go up to the top of the staff and back down again.

This is pretty boring so just keep thinking about the great sound you're making and how much better you're going to play later on that day for taking the time and trouble to warm up this way.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Dauminator3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should be the very first thing I do when deciding to play? Usually I wake up and within the hour I am practicing. I start out about 5 min before I pick up my horn free buzzing and such. Then I try to do some work on the mouthpiece. After I usually play the Clarke #2 studies from the low g up to the mid staff g. Then a couple lip slurs and thats about it, about 15-20 min.

About the "rest as much as you play" thing that is going around. I find it very hard to do so because I really want to play and I feel like I am wasting time. I know it is probably best for me to do so and I struggle to try but never really end up doing it.

Thanks--Jared
Dauminator3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing is about the school day. I usually try to free buzz the class before, but other than that, I have about 1-2 minutes actually with the horn before I have to play. I kind of feel like I have to play all the time because I don't feel like there is a solid section behind me, legit and jazz.

Jared
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops told me free-buzzing was very demanding on the chops and to not do too much as it can wear you out. I think he suggested 15 minutes a day as a sensible maximum, and very little if any at all before playing.

Pops also told me tension in the embochure will quickly wear you out, so to try and relax the chops as much as possible. Usually, increasing air support will help as well.

Blaine
Dauminator3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....Any other suggestions on overall playing at my age?

Jared
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-06-10 18:09, Dauminator3 wrote:
I guess you could say that I'm not the greatest trumpet player in the world, but I try. In my school jazz band, I regularly play high d's, but after one or two songs that have a lot of them...my chops are shot. In the practice room, I try to accomplish every thing that I wanted before working on range(which for me is just playing two octave scales going up cromatically(not sure if this is the right way to do it)) because once I play the scales up to an E or F, my tone gets really fuzzy and I immediatly lose hope of really practicing anymore. As a soon to be junior in high school, is this a problem?

Any advice or different stratagies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-Jared

Here is a article i wrote on this endurance topic and some links that might help you out:

http://trjeam.tripod.com/book/articles/endurance.html

I hope my articles and my list of related links helps. please feel free to sign my guest book on the main page at http://trjeam.tripod.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Castle Bravo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorporate soft lip flexabilities into your warmup....it worked for me.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good articles on the ITG Youth site... Go to http://www.trumpetguild.org and follow the "Youth Site" links. Warmups, general info, etc. Good for comback players (CPs), too.

A recent ITG issue had a "youth" insert which included a plan for a 30-minute practice session.

HTH - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: