• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

slurs, lips move, or stay still?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

My teacher told me when I play slurs my chin/lips should not move at all. Whether I play a low C or high C they should be in the exact same position. I've tried this many times, to no avail.

Since I got the wet lips/low pressure thing going, should I try to play slurs without moving anything? Is it even helpful to have your chin/lips stay in exactly the same position no matter what note you are playing?

Also, if I am to go about developing this ability, what should I use to start? I have a variety of flexibility exercises from the Arbans and Schlossberg, but even on the smallest slurs I am unable to keep my mouth still.

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,

I think that you need to go back and ask your teacher what exactly they meant, because I don't agree with that at all and I'm sure that just about everyone here would agree with me. MAybe the elimination of chin movement, but to say that the lips do not move between high and low c is a little obsurd to me. I'd ask them for some more clarification.

Nick
cperret
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree... I think you need to get some clarification from you teacher. ...If your lips and chin don't move when you slur, then what's making the pitch change?!? This sounds pretty wrong to me, too. I don't want to speak too soon here, but have you considered a second opinion? Or at least this: Ask you teacher to play a low C and then C above the staff. Do his chops change? I can almost guarantee so. I would definitely recommend doing a little bit of looking around the forums here, and check out what other players have to say about lip slurring - there's plenty of reading material. Good luck!
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps your teacher was speaking about the corners of your lips. There is a lot to be said for keeping the corners the same in all registers. The center of your lips, however, must move somewhat to change pitch. This is the part that would be obscured by your mouthpiece when you play, so go back and ask your teacher if he meant only the corners.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this clip:
http://www.trumpetstuff.com/images/Sergei/CarnivalVenice.ram

His head moves a little as he pivots, but the chin is almost dead still.

OTOH, I just looked at myself in the mirror and saw my muscles move as I slur, the chin-bone stays relatively steady (I put the fingers of my right hand there to feel it, but the movement is minimal).

The second trumpet in my rock band lets his chin "bounce" as he plays. He can free buzz high C and hit a G above high-C in warmup, BUT he can't stay in tune even in the staff and his tone is all over the place. Richard Giangiulia flunked him in trumpet studio years ago, so he became an Emmy Award winning sound man!

Anyway, if your jaw is bouncing, you're in for a rough ride (pardon the pun). I don't know how to advise stopping it. As you go up, you have to maintain some distance between your teeth. If you move the jaw up too much that'll close things off and restrain your airflow.

You might address tongue arch with your instructor. (Some are dead set against tongue arch while other embrace it whole-heartedly, me included). Perhaps working with tongue arch on slurs can help you reduce your chin movement, if it's to excess. Make sure your instructor approves of using the tongue in slurring.

Good luck,

Dave
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now the corners of my mouth move when playin higher. How can I stop? It seems even when incorporating other aids to slurring (such as arched tongue, air flow, etc) I can't slur ovtaves (they move less the smaller the slur is) unless the corners move. Am I going to have to start at the beginning (as far as slurs) and make sure my corners stay still?

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your lips pulling into a "smile"? If so, that's not efficient. The sensation is for me is more like a pucker with the lower lip pushing slightly forward and up. That said, I can't do that with no visible movement of the lips. Hopefully your instructor can tell you about what to do, to supplement his (her) instruction on what NOT to do.

I've seen a few people with almost no movement what so ever, EXCEPT they had a pivot. I don't know what they do to get no movement. This no movement thing may be desireable, but your instructor will need to give some positive instruction to go with the negative.

If you've got a "smile" embouchure, I think you'll find some discussion of the pros and cons of that with a search of this site.

Dave
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,

You said, "My teacher told me when I play slurs my chin/lips should not move at all. Whether I play a low C or high C they should be in the exact same position. I've tried this many times, to no avail."

a. Private lesson teacher or band director?
b. The lips must move in order to play the instrument.
c. Developed players often look like nothing is moving, as they have learned to concentrate the majority of their movements to inside the mouth and mouthpiece. This happens naturally as a process of refinement. For the developing player, attempting to LOOK LIKE like your lips aren't moving is often the road to failure.

You said, "Also, if I am to go about developing this ability, what should I use to start? I have a variety of flexibility exercises from the Arbans and Schlossberg, but even on the smallest slurs I am unable to keep my mouth still."

a. As Dave alluded to, your instructor is telling you that you have a problem, but apparently not providing you with a practical way to overcome the problem, else you would not be here asking. This sounds like a beating to me! Diagnostics are cheap, and often wrong. Without using your instructors terms, in your own words, can you describe the limitation you experience which (apparently) led to the diagnosis?

Or, does a problem even exist?

Jeff Smiley
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to your teacher.

(s)He told YOU that for a reason that relates to YOU and what YOU are doing on the horn. Don’t disrespect him or mistrust him by coming on some internet site and asking others how to deal with your problems.

He might have told you that to give you a hint in how to figure out your own problems, or for some other reason. If you dont understand go ask him, not a bunch of guys off the internet.
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps he doesn't exactly want to keep still, but he wants you to practice the extreme to overcome any particular problems you have.

like when you try and correct a problem, you practice correcting it to the extreme so when you do it agian, it naturally falls into the correct position. I guess he's simply trying to correct your overmovement or over changing embouchure. Keep in mind that it is extremely difficult to play fast arpeggios with a embouchure that changes radically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2003-11-02 10:01, trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Quote:
...c. Developed players often look like nothing is moving, as they have learned to concentrate the majority of their movements to inside the mouth and mouthpiece. This happens naturally as a process of refinement. For the developing player, attempting to LOOK LIKE like your lips aren't moving is often the road to failure."

this is so true Jeff. I had a teacher who insisted I MOVE NOTHING. and do everything with the air. I practiced 'flexibilities" and concentrated on MOVING NOTHING but AIR. Guess what - It was an exercise in FRUSTRATION.
Excess movement is a problem but ..

Quote:
a. As Dave alluded to, your instructor is telling you that you have a problem, but apparently not providing you with a practical way to overcome the problem, else you would not be here asking. This sounds like a beating to me! Diagnostics are cheap, and often wrong. Without using your instructors terms, in your own words, can you describe the limitation you experience which (apparently) led to the diagnosis?

another excellent point. For a teacher to simply point out a problem and provide no specific way to solve it is poor teaching, imo

Lip flexibilities should be practiced slowly -with subdivision for best results in acheiving stability. My own experience is anchoring the mpce on the bottom lip helps minimize the chin movement. but can't say this will be true for you. get specific with your teacher. get him to tell you HOW

Bonnie,
have you tried starting from the top note? most people seem to practice from the bottom up which I think is more difficult until you get the knack.

get a good feel for that top note. you could try holding 3 beats on the top note and one for the bottom note.
some of your trouble might me not having good air flow too. - so starting on the top - make sure that top note is well supported - then maintain that same air as you blow to the lower one and back. do not change mpce pressure as you go to the lower note.
this might sound dumb but think of it like a yo yo - and don't completely 'let go' of the top note. think about the vowel change - 'aw' to the lower note. I think your lips will follow the slight tongue movement. I recomend alternating articulating and slurring and, logically, if you can play the interval tongued, you ought to be able to play it slurred. what's the missing ingredient?

the other thing is get the knack of doing it in range that is comfortable. If you are working too hard to play the notes to begin with a slur will feel impossible. You can't have your lips pinned down between the teeth and mouthpiece and expect to have them be flexible.

just a suggestion.
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Bonnie,
have you tried starting from the top note? most people seem to practice from the bottom up which I think is more difficult until you get the knack.

I'm sorry but I think I have to disagree with this. Out of all the years I've played, I have found that it is much, MUCH easier to slur up than it is down. Usually on the way down people (including the students I have taught) hit many notes in between. While slurring up it is easier to hit the note dead on. But anyway that's not the topic at hand.

So I agree with the people saying that the lips have to move a little. And from many teachers I have been told that when going below the middle (low) C that your jaw should drop to allow for larger space in your mouth.
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt
our experiences have been different on this I guess.
Would you notice this jaw drop in a descending slur from high G down to middle G?
In that range, a descending slur seems -to me- to have a stabilizing effect on the embouchure. what ever little bit the chops change blowing down, just allow them to go back the way they came.
your comments are also addressing accuracy - which wasn't really part of my point.

another way I have found to work out excess movement in slurring harmonic intervals is to go ahead and add in the scale tones. it won't seem like anything changed - then think the scales tones as you blow the harmonic interval - trying to blow the interval like the scale - with no big movements.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your lips are close enough together and vibrant enough, you won't have to use extraneous lip/jaw manipulation to get slurs to happen if you are using proper breath control.

If your lips are too far apart within the mpc, then you [and everyone else] will use more lip/jaw manipulations to get the slurs to happen.

Maybe he [your teacher] has spotted this and is trying to get you to stop by whatever method without over-complication.

If your lips ARE too spread then playing softly with a good tone 'pp' is difficult and may point to this as a problem.

Aperture test at my website...

Mention this to your teacher - he has the best view of you playing than any of us here...

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying. Accuracy was referring to the lip slurs. That's what you should be striving for along with good tone isn't it?
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-03 12:13, hazmat wrote:
I see what you are saying. Accuracy was referring to the lip slurs. That's what you should be striving for along with good tone isn't it?

yeah - but - this is what I was addressing from Bonnie's first post
"My teacher told me when I play slurs my chin/lips should not move at all"
trpthax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love how everyone can prescribe a remedy to bonnie's chin movement, or even interperate what her teacher is telling her. Bonnie, you study with your teacher for a reason. if you don't trust him, then don't take lessons from him. people just say what works for them. if it doesn't work for you, try something else. you are your best teacher. nobody else knows what it feels like inside your mouth.
it has been my understanding that a teacher is merely a librarian. they point us in the right directions, but it's up to us to actually study (practice) the material. we can take what we want from that. perhaps in this situation, you could take an outside lesson or two from other professionals in the area. tell your teacher. he should be supportive of you getting as much feedback from as many people as possible. always remember that the end result is how you sound playing music. good luck
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote: it has been my understanding that a teacher is merely a librarian.

Sounds like you havn't had good teachers. I don't think my students would say that.

quote:" i love how everyone can prescribe a remedy to bonnie's chin movement, or even interperate what her teacher is telling her.

most of us who have replied with anything we hoped would be helpful, have also said to ask the teacher to clarify.
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthax. I would also like to think of a teacher as more than a librarian. A teacher is hopefully also a friend, someone to look up to and someone to keep you going even when you feel like crap.

[ This Message was edited by: hazmat on 2003-11-03 20:25 ]
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. First I must clear up some details about my situation. Some of you may dislike this situation, but for the present I can't change much. I have had about 4 lessons with this tecaher, which have been spread over 10 months or so. He lives a ways away, and my parents aren't very willing to drive me for regular lessons. When I do get a lesson, he is kind enough to drive to my house and visit with my family.

This problem (about the mouth) is one he mentioned once, and I don't know if he would consider it a problem now. I just thought I'd see if anyone here would agree with that wholeheartedly, or if it really isn't right.

Everyone is human, even the smartest person is bound to err, at one time or another. I don't like the idea of going with one particular teacher, though this man is very qualified, I don't see myself following his every word. He has a gift for trumpet playing, picked it up very naturally, and I don't think he encountered every problem I've faced/will face. Don't get me wrong, he has worked very hard for what he has acomplished, just not the same things I work with.

Nor do I live[play] by the words here, I merely use them as references. I know most people frown upon not getting regular lessons, but it's not really working for my schedule/life right now.

Untill it does, this setup is working pretty good! But, without TH it might be a lot different.

AND......yesterday, I took a good look in the mirror, and my corners don't move quite as much as I had thought.

I haven't been around much the past several days or else I would have responded to this much sooner. I'll see you all around

Bonnie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: