• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Cleveland Orchestra Trumpet Section

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: The Cleveland Orchestra Trumpet Section Reply with quote

The Cleveland Orchestra
Principal Trumpet Players

Start-End________Name

1988-Current_______Michael Sachs
1960-1988_________Bernard Adelstein
1958-1960_________Richard Smith
1935-1958_________Louis Davidson
1934-1935_________Vladimir Drucker
1927-1934_________Alois Hruby
1925-1927_________F. Venezia
1924-1925_________L. Barton
1923-1924_________Gustav Heim
1922-1923_________Sigmund Hering
1921-1922_________D. Luckstone (David Glickstein)
1920-1921_________Samuel Miller
1919-1920_________E. Rozanel
1918-1919_________W. I. Barnes

Web Site: The Cleveland Orchestra Trumpet Players

Current roster for the 2012-2013 Season:
Michael Sachs – Principal Trumpet
Jack Sutte
Lyle Steelman - Assistant Principal
Michael Miller

Michael Sachs.......Jack Sutte..............Lyle Steelman.....Michael Miller

Reference for this information is the February 1994 ITG Journal article entitled "Trumpet Players of the Cleveland Orchestra, 1918-1993", by Mary Thornton and the Dec 1994 ITG Journal article "Trumpet Players of the Cleveland Orchestra 1918-1993: An Addendum" by Mary Thornton, Page 55.

Return to the Table of Contents
for the Project:
Historical Trumpet Sections of
Major Symphony Orchestras

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 9 times in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online Articles about or by The Cleveland Orchestra Trumpet Players:

Trumpet Players of The Cleveland Orchestra 1918 – 1993: An Addendum
by Mary Thornton (December 1994 ITG Journal)

An Interview with Thomas Wohlwender: Second Trumpet, Cleveland Orchestra 1960 – 1972
by John Almeida (September 1995 ITG Journal)

The Elements of a Successful Orchestral Trumpet Section
by Michael Sachs (March 2001 ITG Journal)

The Web Site of Former Cleveland Orchestra Principal Trumpeter Bernard Adelstein

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books and Articles about The Cleveland Orchestra or by The Cleveland Orchestra Brass Players:

Louis Davidson
Reference ITG Journal Online
Davidson authored two books. Trumpet Profiles is an exploration of the work habits and musical influences of many of the world's greatest trumpet players. The recently reprinted 25th anniversary edition of his Trumpet Techniques, which has been translated into both French and German, is a methodological work currently in its fourth printing.

Sigmund Hering
Apparently he authored 408 studies for unaccompanied solo trumpet
(Reference Web Site)

The titles of Sigmund Hering books that I was able to find online include:
Forty Progressive Etudes
Thirty Etudes for Trumpet or Cornet
Thirty-Two Etudes
Bach for Two Trumpets
The Sigmund Hering Trumpet Course, Book 1
The Sigmund Hering Trumpet Course, Book 2
The Sigmund Hering Trumpet Course, Book 3
23 Orchestral Etudes for the Advanced Trumpeter
Etudes in All the Major and Minor Keys
Miniature Classics
More Miniature Classics

Michael Sachs
Daily Fundamental for the Trumpet published by International Music Co. and type 3507 in the Search Field

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Stories:

While The Cleveland Orchestra is big part of this story, this is more of a magical evening that I will always remember based on the many different events that happened leading up to the concert. So I wanted to include it in this folder for that reason.

1991 was a great year to hear many of the big orchestras that traveled to Arizona on tour. I was fortunate to hear the Gewandhaus Opera Orchestra with Kurt Masur and the Boston Symphony with Sieji Ozawa both at Gamage Auditorium in Tempe and The Cleveland Orchestra with Cristoph van Dohnanyi at Centennial Hall on the U of A campus in Tucson.

The Phoenix Symphony had recently hired a new Assistant Principal trumpet in 1991 (Benny), and my instructor (2nd Trumpet with the PSO) at the time (Jim) had become very good friends with him. I had only met Benny a couple of times at that point, and during a lesson with Jim he asked if I would be interested in going to Tucson to hear The Cleveland Orchestra. Apparently, Benny’s car was in the shop and he was looking for a ride. I was very excited about spending an evening getting to talk with another symphony trumpet player, and hearing The Cleveland Orchestra was like icing on the cake!

When I picked up Benny I found out that we would be hearing Ein Heldenleben. By 1991 I had discovered and studied some of the Strauss tone poems (Till and Don Juan), but I had not heard A Hero’s Life. Benny brought a recording with him and gave me the complete overview of the piece and what I should be listening for when we got to the concert. I especially liked the “music critics” and every time I play that except today I think about our drive to Tucson. What a great education for me!

When we arrived at Centennial Hall our friend John Lofton was waiting at the box office with a comp ticket for Benny. It was about 15 minutes before show time, and I told Benny that I would purchase my ticket so we could go in together. He told me that he hadn’t paid for a ticket to hear a concert in years, and I WASN’T GOING TO EITHER! He said that if we stood at the box office long enough someone would just hand me a ticket. I found this EXTREMELY difficult to believe. As the minutes ticked by I became more and more anxious, and I was certain that we were going to miss the beginning of the concert. At two minutes until the concert was to begin I told Benny that this was ridiculous and I was going to purchase a ticket. He told me to wait one more minute.

About 30 seconds later, a man standing close to us said, “Who needs a ticket?” I held up my hand and when he handed me the ticket he said something like, “my daughter couldn’t join us this evening. Enjoy the show!” I looked at the ticket and it was a $45 seat in the first 15 rows right in the center of the hall, absolutely complimentary! Talk about an amazing turn of events! Benny was just looking at me with that “I told you so” expression on his face. We went in and just as I found my seat that lights went down and the concert began.

The concert itself was truly memorable. The first time that I had ever heard Ein Heldenleben was 2 hours earlier on the car ride down from Tempe. Now I was hearing it live by one of the finest orchestras in the world! That Eb music critic’s excerpt was etched in my mind, and to hear it and see it on stage made for a very lasting impression.

After the concert was over, I found Benny and we went around to the stage door. When Michael Sachs came out Benny introduced me to him and they had a brief conversation about the show. This experience was right on the heels of my Boston Symphony concert / lesson, and if it hadn’t been for Benny and Jim, I don’t think I would have ever known how exciting a concert going experience could be!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: