• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ITG Conference 2004 – Shulman System Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: ITG Conference 2004 – Shulman System Experience Reply with quote

On Thursday after the New Works Concert in the Hamilton Organ Hall, I ventured into the exhibit area with my good friend Mark Flegg to try the Shulman System. Matt Shulman had just captivated the audience in this concert with dazzling technique, intricate multiphonics while literally singing chorale lines through the horn, and an absolutely immaculate sound on his horn while wearing his own Shulman System.

Mark borrowed my horn and played the Promenade from Pictures at an Exhibition for Matt so that he could adjust the system to fit Mark properly. Even though we were in a very crowded room, I positioned myself so that I could clearly hear Mark's sound in front of the bell with and without the system. I had played in a section with Mark for several years so I know his sound very well. It's relaxed and vibrant. He sounded great before he was fitted with the system.

When the system was properly fitted he played again, with a substantial improvement in clarity and sound. Matt asked him to play a two octave G chromatic scale with the system and then without. The difference was absolutely shocking to my ears! Every note up and down the scale with the "system on" literally sounded identical. When Mark took the system off, there were subtle differences in many of the notes, and the clarity that he had before was slightly diminished. The device clearly provides the results that are advertised!

Then I tried one for myself (after the same fitting process) and played several lines that I had worked up from Mahler 3. Then I played the same G chromatic scale. For me the, excerpts seemed to jump out of the horn much more easily when playing the system versus playing them without the system. I could tell Mark's eyes got big when he heard me play with the system on, just as mine had when he was running his scale.

Mark picked one up for himself and I purchased one for my instructor and will seriously consider one for myself in the future as funds become available. Later that evening Mark and I found a practice room and experimented with reassembling the Shulman System on our own (without Matt's competent guidance) and found that fine tuning the fitting is a true art form in itself. I'm sure with anything new, there is a break in period to become familiar with it. Using this device to experience a reduced level of tension, freeing up the sound and ultimately allowing this feeling to creep into normal playing will be the real test. Based on all of the endorsements that I have read, I'm certain after my brief experience that it will live up to its reputation.

On a side note, when Mark and I entered the big room to play the Shulman System, Carl Saunders was in the short hallway leading in to the larger room. He had on the Shulman System and was literally flying all over the horn (this is the first time that I had ever heard him play). He must have played it non-stop for half an hour. It's nice to see professionals that are open to experimentation. In any event, it was a treat to get to hear him play!

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek
Nice to hear someone else is impressed by this system. I first saw it in Manchester (two years ago) and was sceptical. I tried it last year and immediately purchased one. I use it for a lot of my practising and (especially) my warm up. I find that it allows me to concentrate upon the fundamentals more easily.

Matt Shulman is not just an awesome player (anyone who has still not heard this guy - check him out, quite outrageous use of multiphonics!) but a really nice guy to do business with. Part of my system got damaged (by a student) so I emailed him a couple of weeks ago and he had a spare part waiting for me at the booth this year.

I have let a few of my colleagues borrow my system (not for more than a week - I like having it with me!) and they have all been very impressed at how easy it makes playing.

I found it took a few weeks to really get the ideal position sorted out for myself (without the able assistance of Matt), but once I had got it worked out (and marked - a recommendation there - mark it on with a pencil, so that when you do lend it to someone else you won't have problems remembering where your ideal position is) iit really started to work well.

I use it in my teaching again - it has really helped a couple of students who used to play with their instruments pointing almost directly downwards. Their sound has really come along since we first used it. It doesn't need to come out every week, but should they start pointing downwards again I just have to say "Shulman" and they are back at the angle we all recommend.
The only problem I have had is with a female student who is rather well-endowed - it doesn't matter how we try to fix it on her, something (well, two things!) get in the way. Good job that she, I and her family have a sense of humour in her lessons!!
SilverTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly does it do for you? It looks like it kind of just holds the horn in place? or does it adjust other posture issues? You got me interested....

~~ST

~J.R.R. Tolkien
mconley1986
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like Matt Schulman might be on to something here. Is there some way to try one out before purchasing it? I was just in Denver but interest in the "System" was so big that it was hard to get in to try one.
flugle-me-elmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodwind and Brasswind is now carrying the system with a 45 day return option. Good news for the skeptics!

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" -- Douglas Adams
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What exactly does it do for you? It looks like it kind of just holds the horn in place? or does it adjust other posture issues? You got me interested.... "

The main thing I have found is that it establishes a fantastic posture with minimal effort (always a good move, being the lazy trumpeter I am!). This is my main reason for using it with students.
The surprising thing, for me anyway, was how good it feels when using it. The vibrations from the trumpet travel through the system and straight into your chest, it is an amazing feeling.

With the option of a 45 day trial period, I would recommend everyone tries one out.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition (and related to) posture issues, I have found that it is virtually impossible to take an inefficient breath while using the System.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post a picture or describe this thing? I have no idea what you're all talking about.
gander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system can be seen at http://www.shulmansystem.com. Very interesting.

G
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well does the concept carry over from practice to performance?
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B,

Read the endorsements at Matt Shulman's web site. I see John Hagstrom is on this list along with Jon Faddis and Randy Brecker. The two players that I've heard about it from are Jeanne Pocius and Chase Sanborn from the TPIN list.

Jeanne sent me a personal message just this morning. She said,

Quote:

You will find that the Shulman system does more to bring your natural trumpet playing abilities to the forefront than any horn, mouthpiece or method book....

Best of luck with it!
Jeanne

Read through all of the endorsements at his web site. It's just amazing to experience this same level of clarity in my playing that each of these marvelous players have described. I would have to say carry over is a prime benefit of the system, but I'm not yet at a point to be able to say that for myself. I'll lst other's speak about that.

P.S. I purchased Pycho-Cybernetics and have read the first 4 chapters (on the plane ride to and from Denver). Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question Matt answered for me:

Q: I saw your invention online and wondered if it is adjustable for those of us
who play off to the side (rather drastically to the left in my case).
Otherwise, it seems that I'd have to turn my head to the right and leave my
horn and body facing forward. Also, if the current system does not allow
for an off-center embouchure setup, is there a possibility for a custom made
device?

A: Thank you for your email. The System is adjustable for those whose embouchures cause them to play off to one side, plenty of trumpet players with an off-center set-up are using it. The System is designed so that freedom of movement is preserved -- when adjusted, the player is not locked into one strict position, but can rotate their horn to pivot or play off-center as needed.
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the Shulman System be used on a herald trumpet?
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you might have to take the banner off.

[ This Message was edited by: scarface on 2004-06-23 16:12 ]
blumine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these contraptions, but it doesn't work well on my Bb Mt. Vernon. The stem underneath my third valve slide prevents placing the cradle there. And I'm not about to move the stem either. It shouldn't be a problem with other Bach Bb's. So, I guess I'll just have to use it w/ my Bach C. Only complaint is the neck strap gets a little uncomforatble after a while. Will probably find some way to pad it.

blu
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you visit the Shulman site, be sure to check out the live video by his trio. Pretty good stuff!

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: