• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is a Doctorate a Proper Credential?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that at certain schools accreditation is only for the granting of certain kinds of degrees, depending on the status of the school as a "research university", etc.

Additionally, at a state-sponsored university like Indiana (or my previous home at the U. of Cincinnati) the state's board of regents often tells each state school which degrees they can offer. This is ostensibly so the various schools within the state system can have complementary missions, rather than working at cross purposes. Therefore, in Indiana IU cannot grant a B.A. in music, only a B.M., B. S., or a B.Mus.Ed. IUPUI cannot grant those degrees, but can only grant the B.A.

The differences are at times quite arcane and the reasons for the policies are often obscure to all but the bureaucrats (who probably only pretend to grok the fullness).
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the bureaucrats. We should have known! :>) Thanks Pat. Best regards, Kyle
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have no music school experience... But, it was a battle for our local (in the big city 20 miles South) to get their PhD EE program in place. Pure politics -- the "main" campus wanted to keep all the PhD students up there. Eventually saner heads prevailed, and the PhD program in Colorado Springs is thriving.

My father (PhD in microbiology) has worked in industrym government R&D labs, and universities. He once commented (when I told him I would like to teach someday) that the universities had BY FAR the worst politics, back stabbing, obstructionist bureaucrats, etc.

Final, off-topic comment: Pat, you got me in trouble when I read your post. "Grok the fullness" indeed -- I busted out laughing, causing my wife to hush me since it was 11:45pm...

Onwards - Don
imjazd1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Wait a minute. Isn't the UNF where Rich Matteson founded the jazz department?

Yep, and UNF has been having these problems for years! I went there for my freshman year to study w/ Bruce Silva..he was "released" after that year ('94-'95) and at least part of it had to do w/ his not having some sort of credentials. He only played lead w/ the Jazz Ambassadors for years..what would he know? (Yes, I'm being smart).

I can't believe they pulled that crap w/ Kevin Bales..he's amazing. Well, the all-knowing politicians hand out the money according to some "one size fits all" rubric.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: