• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugel Piece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I thought I would post this here too. I'm auditioning for a college soon and my teacher said I needed a flugel piece. I was thinking Eric's transcription of Freddie hubards solo on Misty, but I'm REALLY open to ideas, another one that popped into my head just now is Vesperale from Toot Suite. But hey let me know what yall like or would do yourself.

Thanks,
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at PAVANE (Pavane pour une Infante defunte) by Maurice Ravel for trumpet and piano transcribed by G. Orvid, Edited by Robert Nagel, International Music, No. 1980. Sounds really nice with flugel.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You could always go the brass band route and do 'En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor' by Rodrigo.
(I watched brass off again the other night)

Regards

Trevor
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arioso and Caprice by Ronold Hanmer, thats a good peice, for brass band but it usualy comes with the piano part only. im not too sure how legal it is to play aranjuez! last i heard it couldnt be performed.

play anything that sounds good on it, nakariakov does some nice cello stuff on flugel, but he has a fourth valve and someone to arrange them!

have fun, sam
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really nice piece that works well on Flugel is the "Prayer of St. Gregory", by Alan Hovanness. The only catch is that the accompaniment is for organ, not piano, and the sustained chords and slow moving lines don't work well on piano.

Other pieces that work well would be some good ole' Bach -- "Where Sheep May Safely Graze" for instance, or the "Air" movement from Handel's Water Music. Both are simple enough, but you can really impress them with a good sound concept and mature musical approach...

Good Luck!

Paul Poovey
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to my other post (I forgot which thread I put it in)... "Bist de la Mure", or something like that? I'm having a BBD moment and forgot the name!

I prefer "Prayer" on trumpet, personally, as I think the upper notes just sound better and I have more control over the piece (probably -- strike that! almost certainly -- just me). If you try it, I do suggest you find a recording or two with orchestra. I don't care for the organ reduction all that much. Wynton uses the organ reduction; I listened to Smeldvig and the (name forgotten) CD performed under Hovhanness. The "feel" and sound is much nicer with the strings, imho. When I played it, we (wife and I -- she's the organ player) adjusted the settings to get more of a "string" sound. Not faulting Wynton, or the organist, I just like it better softer (kinder, gentler...)

FWIWFM - Don
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second plankowner10...Pavanne...one of the prettiest pieces you'll ever play!

Butch Warnke
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

We should all have BBD moments! The title is "Bist du Bei Mir" ("If Thou Be Near")
by old J.S.B. his bad self.

I would suggest the 2nd movement of the Flor Peeters "Sonata". It's a beautiful,
haunting melody that lends itself to flugel VERY nicely.

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul -- LOL! More BBD, indeed -- no argument from me!

Here's my other post on this thread from the other forum:

Here's a couple more that might be good:

1. "Even in the Darkness" is at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/edowdall/musepg1.htm

I even noticed a testimonial from yours truly. This is a favorite of mine, BTW. Works really
well with the piano, pretty easy, and plenty of opportunity to embellish and work your "feelings" into it, after "Prayer of St. Gregory" fashion...

2. A slow piece great for flugelhorn is this (there are several arrangements -- I'll list one):
"Pavane pour une infante defunte", Maurice Ravel, arr. David H. Pettit, Integra Music Group, Inc., 1995

3. "Amazing Grace", from the Wallace-Head wedding books (forgot which one, sorry), is scored for flugelhorn.

HTH! - Don
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a recording of Maurice Andre doing "La Traviata" - Verdi on flugel (or Bugle in French). It's on his "Le Belle Epoch" and his "The Ultimate Trumpet" CDs. It's magnifico !!! This would be a great audition piece.

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh yes, Maurice Andre on a flugel - even if you don't want to play those pieces - get the album anyway!

tres magnifique!

I quite like a little piece called Reflections by Reginald Heath. Not too difficult but can be a wonderful contrast in the middle of a recital. Someone heard at one of mine, thought it was beautiful and asked for it to be played during their wedding.

I would steer away from the Aranjuez, after Brassed Off a lot of people can only appreciate that piece when played under the title "Concerto de Orange Juice!"
Oh, you also have to look like she does
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: