• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Endurance??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am student teaching this semester so I really don't have much time to practice and we're doing a huge brass recital at the end of April. I'm playing a solo along with a few small ensembles for it. I'm starting to get very nervous because my endurance is not so great to say the least. What are some things I can do to work on endurance. I'm not looking for get great endurance fast. I just need something I can do with VERY little practice time that would help. I live in an apartment so I do what I can then I practice on my lunch break and any other free times that pop up. It just isn't enough for the endurance. Thanks for the help in advance!!
Adam Metzler
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider doing some calisthenic methods like Caruso, or using things like Chop-Sticks or Arnold Jacob's pencil exercise. Also, one of my friends who was a music education major used to make an embouchure while he was driving and just hold it as long as he could to build up the muscle. Good luck, and don't neglect the psychological aspect of endurance. As my tpt prof says, "Get lost in the music" and try not to focus on how you feel physically. Good luck!

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You might consider doing some calisthenic methods like Caruso, or using things like Chop-Sticks or Arnold Jacob's pencil exercise.

I can't find or recall a reference to the pencil exercise in Jacobs' _Song and Wind_. I also just searched the Chicago School forum here for discussion of the pencil exercise and find nothing. Is there any citation available for Jacobs and pencil? (I suspect not.) Thanks in advance. No embarassment intended.
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the pencil exercise is taking a pencil and supporting it with your embouchure for as long as you can. I read that Philip Farkas had his students do it, and I believe that the source said that Jacobs also did it with his students. Of course, now that I've stuck my neck out, I can't remember where I read it......

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
benge78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your time is very limited, and you're looking to maximize efforts, you may want to check out the Caruso forum. Read Mr. Raymond's Getting Started threads, and pick up the Musical Calesthenics for Brass book. It's a small investment, and well worth the time - especially if time is an issue.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no substitute for good practice.
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there is no substitute for good practice. I'm student teaching and what is considered good practice is not possible while I am doing this. As soon as summer hits I have a full routine ready to go but between student teaching duties (which they keep me very busy) and rehearsals, and private teaching, I just don't have as much time for practicing as I would like. Now if they was an extra 6hrs or so a day that would be great..lol. Thanks for the advice everyone!!
Adam Metzler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: