• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What happened??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing very bad lately like a huge difference. I havent noticed that i've made any changes but lately my chops get tired really quick, my sound is blatty or airy like my chops aren't responding like they use to, and my range has been reduced greatly. I just can't blow like i used to. My lips don't wanna buzz right. I'm getting very frustrated and I might loose my position in the band. Any ideas on how to get back on track? Also when i went to my lesson my teacher was a little surprised on how much trouble i was having. I'm so lost! UGH
-Jimmy

[ This Message was edited by: jazzartizt1742 on 2004-03-25 18:37 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What changes have you been going through? Your teacher should be in the best position to diagnose your problem; however, if you've been doing something differently recently, you'll need to tell us in order for us to have any ideas as to what might be wrong.

Are you playing more or less? Are the demands of your range higher than they were a few weeks back? Have you changed equipment in any way? Is your horn and mpc really clean? Are the valves installed correctly? Have braces been moving your teeth around?

Dave
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing more, but not as crazy as before now that it's not as fun since i'm sucking but i'm using the same old 3C and Yamaha 4335 as always and i havent changed my embouchure that i know of maybe something slipped in one day when i was tired and was just forcing it out just to do it and now its stuck with me? I have no idea. But everything is relitively the same and this happened very suddenly like in 4 days. I was beating my chops up though and now i'm backing off but it's not coming back. Should i just be patient and wait or what. Because i need to get my act together for group ensemble and Jazz concerts. There is also a little buzz thing on the part of my lips in the mouthpiece thats moves around my aperature when i play. It feels like i started all over again people in band are asking me whats up and i don't know what to say, lol. I'm just wondering.

-Jimmy

[ This Message was edited by: jazzartizt1742 on 2004-03-25 19:10 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean your horn out and everything will be fine. Trust me.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fairly easy to bruise a muscle or strain it.

Think about how funny you walk when you turn your ankle.

Taking it easy may very well take care of it but not in a couple of days.

The 2 most important things are DON'T PANIC you can and will come back to normal and DON'T PUSH IT. Forcing things will only make it worse.

You can do some things to increase bloodflow and that speeds up recovery.

When you first strained it cold would have helped a lot.

Now some people would say moist heat (not hot but warm) BUT others would still say cold can help. (You are still playing and working them after all.)
I've seen both help.

It depends on the extent of the bruise or strain and if you are still causing any more injury or not.

Loose lip flapping can help with blood flow. And very soft small vibrations in the center of the lips can help make them relaxed and more supple. (NOT buzzing) Just smaller lip flapping. I sometimes call it purring like a kitten using the lips.

Don't work on high or loud stuff, don't do isometric exercises like the pencil exercise until you are well.

Make sure you don't use too much mouthpiece pressure and now is a good time to work flexibility (it is a little impared now) and tongue arch.
Look at http://www.BbTrumpet.com/arch.html it shows how to go from the normal aah-eee to a hiss. This will take some strain off as you play too.

Again don't get scared or upset. It happens to all of us and we have to just go on the best we can without hurting ourselves.

The chances are good you will just return to your normal setup in a short time.

IF you could take a few days off that would be great but it is not always possible.

Pops

It is the Smart application of hard work that gets you there.

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2004-03-25 19:58 ]
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of it you are going to be pretty busy but if you can I would try to take a couple of days off from the horn. Let things heal and just clear your head mentally. Sometimes just putting the horn down for a bit when you are getting stressed out is better then practicing. Another thing is, if you have been doing a lot of intense playing and practicing go play some fun easy stuff. Every now and then I get so intense in practicing I start losing why I want to play so I go back to like a Star Wars Book, I have a bunch of very basic books that just go back to songs that I enjoy. There is no pressure to play for perfection. It's just some fun songs and lets you remember why you are playing. I usually do that once a year and has helped me many times. Remember most problems are usually mental so start there!! Happy Playing!!
Adam Metzler
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i must have damaged my lip because one day my lower lip was all purple on the red part after jazz band, (some grueling stuff for me) Maybe i'll take a little pressure off my lower lip. Great advice Pops!! Thanks
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, a purple lip is a sure sign of a bruise. Did it not hurt, a little?

Pops' advice is what you need to follow.

Dave
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO WAY you should be using so much pressure that you get a purple bruise on your lip! I don't care how grueling the music is, if you can't play it - you can't play it. That kind of pressure is NOT going to help! You should disclose all of your playing habits to you teacher, and if he/she doesn't agree and start working you on becoming more efficient in your use af the vibrating mechanism - get another teacher.

Definately do not play until that bruise heals; you will probably be less out of shape than you think. Durign your time off, read "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" by Claude Gordon, and "How I Became a Cornetist" by Herbert L. Clarke (available as a download). If you don't already have a workout routine, start doing push ups and sit ups.

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
jazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the horn down for two days or so. It may suck the next day you come back to it, but it will get better.
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be Careful!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate, do you have a link to the downloads?
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The download is for Clarke's. I believe it was at oj's site - I printed it so I'll dig it up and see if the site info is there. I think "Brass Playing" should be in every trumpeter's library - it's available from Claude's widow - search Claude Gordon.

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea !
- yeah, read what Clarke did.
He seems to have tried everything, even the "snake oil" that they where selling then (1880 - 1890).

I have different versions of his bio (PDF, PS, HTML) :

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/clarke/bio/

Ole
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking 2 days off was the best thing ever for me!! I figured out that since my bottom lip was bruised somewhat that i was tucking it farther and farther in the compensate so today when i played all fresh my bottom lip was not so far over the tops of my bottom teeth and my range and tone are back to the norm, now i just have to work back up on my endurance. Thanks for all the advice.
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to post this little thing. It has nothing to do with the actual title. If you have ever seen the movie A Mighty Wind just think about the guy from Wha Happen? Everytime i see this title that just goes on in my head and I laugh about it. Sorry for this little worthless post just something I had to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: