• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many horns is "enough"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned nearly 50 trumpets over the last 20 years. Even a few I really liked were sold when something better came along. I sold one yesterday. I tried for years to find that one horn that could "do it all." I don't think it exists. I've had horns built to my specs and I've had horns I found on craigslist. I went to ITG last year and played everything. I think there is only one last horn I want: a Bach with two piece valves, just because I like the way they look. So maybe the new 19065GV (very $), or a vintage 37. Well...maybe two. I sold a horn at the beginning of COVID to fund something not horn related. But that's all. For now.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. "Unkle", LOL. I don't mean it as an insult to any one, I just get impatient when people feel they have to post whether it advances the original question or not. Blurs the answer. Obviously this must not concern others. Internet-speak.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How many horns is "enough"? Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
I'm curious from the perspective of someone who is just recently coming back to playing my horn and is already looking to buy more horns.

I consider myself an amateur musician because I'm not getting paid for anything I play. I play for fun more than anything else, and for the ability to provide something back to the community through the community band I'm part of.

When you are having fun, that's enough (for now).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play / teach full time. I have always viewed it as when you have enough tools for the jobs you do that's all you need. There’s nothing that I get called for that I don't have the equipment to play so I don't need anything else. That being said I have my bases pretty well covered haha!

For me that means:
Bb - Classical
Bb- Commercial
Flugelhorn
C - Piston
C - Rotary
Eb (+my old one that I need to sell)
Picc (+2 old ones that I need to sell)

Here’s my full list

https://tsargentmusic.com/equipment/

Last edited by Troy Sargent on Sat May 11, 2024 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.

My wife once said to me, after I told her "I think this is the last horn," "Oh, honey, we can never have enough bikes or horns," and I have taken her at her word.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was playing for a living, I had a Bb trumpet, C trumpet, piccolo, flugelhorn, and trombone. As a hobbyist seeking to relive my glory days, I now have more horns than I need but fewer than I want.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people who record have different horns that they will use because they want a different sound palette. Even on the same track or the same album when they’re layering different parts. A lead horn, a section horn, etc.

If you ask a symphony player, they’re gonna have a piccolo, a Bb, C, d/E flat…

Someone doing commercial work may have commercial sounding horn and maybe they’ll have a C trumpet and a Piccolo too.

Community player playing in community ensembles might have something for small group; maybe something for the local Playhouse or something for the local church probably a B-flat and a C.

Flugelhorn may be in the mix for a lot of these people too.

Just depends on who you ask man. Play what you want. Don’t stop unless your wife or your money says so. I too have found that selling a horn is harder than buying a horn. People will always accept your money but finding somebody that’s wanting to pay a fair price quickly is not always easy. I can’t tell you how many people will squabble over $50 (even on a horn priced well below market value) when it’s just a matter of going out and cutting someone’s grass. It’s like dude if $50 is gonna break you this is an expensive hobby for you.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never played for a living but until pre-Covid would usually get a nice number of paid gigs (big band/commercial/pop). The Bach and the flugel was all I needed for about 30 years.

Now, with a pops type orchestra being my main gig, two different Bb for different music seems to be the way to go. Covering that with the Bach and the rotary.

The rest is covered with the Conn and the flugel (for jazz) or the C (well, for C stuff). The Buescher I currently just have for kicks because it’s a really cool horn, but haven’t actually taken it to a gig — no hidden horns in my case, the list is what I have

So, for me, five horns (Bach, Conn, rotary, C, flugel) is enough (could do with a Bb, a C, and a flugel) — but with a flautist in the house the number of brass is not so much of a problem
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in a Drum & Bugle Corps for 10+ years, until I joined the Navy in '71. I started a new job after I retired from the Navy. One of the employees had also played in a Drum Corp and he had a lot of trumpets (never married). I bought a Schilke B2 from him and started to play again. Then, out of the blue, my daughter announced she wanted join her 6th grade band and play a trumpet. So I searched for a used trumpet. I found very nice trumpets, way underpriced on Craigs list and on ebay. A lot of old estates are being liquidated where I live. Occasionally a trumpet pops up that was hidden in a closet for decades. They are often underpriced because the lacquer is dull and slides and valves are stuck. (Estate Sales people don't know squat about trumpets.) The most recent estate sale additions were the Getzen Eterna, Buescher, and the Committee. I picked up the Benge and Holton the year before. I traded a very nice Besson 10-10 trombone for a mint Benge Flugelhorn at a local Instrument Exchange. I didn't need any more trumpets, but would you pass on any of them? Got to be ready to pull the trigger when a gem pops up for the right price. You snooze, you loose. I have flipped as many as I kept. The keeper all have a unique character. I think I'm done for now. (unless a Comtempora, Super Recording, or the right Selmer pops up.) PS: Bach Strads are seldom underpriced.
'47 Holton48
'47 Conn22b
'48 Benge
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'78 Getzen Eterna
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds,DEG Bugles
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won one more Getzen eterna on Ebay , a beautiful large bore cornet in great condition made in 1978, now i own 27 horns and i want more , for sure a 60's Selmer flugel and some vintage cornets but my only problem is my wife ..... 😂😂😂

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 and 800 LB cornets
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
. . . but my only problem is my wife ..... 😂😂😂

You need to talk to Croquethed!

Croquethed wrote:
My wife once said to me, after I told her "I think this is the last horn," "Oh, honey, we can never have enough bikes or horns," and I have taken her at her word.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:

I'm pretty sure the answer to "how many is enough'" is Current Number of Horns + 1.

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's the correct answer too!

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1958 Conn Director 14A
1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1977 Reynolds Medalist CR-58
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
It has a picture of a cornet on it and says "Yes, I really do need all these trumpets."

I had a t-shirt like that, but for guitars!

I guess that GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) never really goes away!

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
OP can correct me if this is not the case, but I interpret the question as seeking to know if professionals have a large arsenal or not. Collectors don't apply.

Actually, (sweeping generalization coming) since most collectors seem to be the ones that also have paying gigs of some sort, so they can rationalize the need to have more horns, they fall into the (quasi-)paid professional ranks, at least compared to me and my community band.

So..., what the heck, as the OP, let's open this question up to the universe and ask how many horns is enough?

If you're a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan, then you know the answer is 42 (the universal answer to all questions). But other than that, how many?

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

Some of us proudly "color outside the lines".

(Besides, the OP didn't specify professional musicians, now did he? For all we know, professional flea circus operators might be welcome to contribute. )

Hey, as my dad used to tell me, "Differences of opinions is what makes a horse race," so really there isn't a correct or incorrect answer of any any sort anyway.

And I did say at the beginning of my question that it was somewhat tongue in cheek, so really, all answers are valid.

1958 Conn Director 14A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: